U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:07 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,593,980 times

Advertisements

I'm with those who believe the risk on planes is minimal.

That said, I can't help but wonder why you would make this trip if you're THAT concerned. And - you've already booked the tickets. Isn't the horse out of the barn already? :Smack:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 09:52 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,476,834 times
Countries that actually do track-and-trace have discovered outbreaks where the spread occurred aboard aircraft. If everyone aboard is diligently wearing masks, and your origin point has low levels of viral spread, and there aren't many connections from areas of high spread through your origin airport, then the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low. Removing masks to eat shouldn't significantly increase your risk, since masking yourself is only partially protective, anyway. The behavior of all the other passengers matters more than what you do.

All that said, if you and your wife are vaccinated, then you have nothing to worry about from contracting COVID-19, unless your workplace requires you to stay home for multiple days after contact with an infected individual. Your children are more at risk from influenza than COVID-19 (literally; the flu kills children at a higher rate than COVID) however influenza is at extremely low levels due to the winter COVID precautions and the fact that we are no longer in flu season. We will probably have a few subsequent low flu seasons, and we will probably get very effective influenza vaccines thanks to the new MRNA technology.

The best way to protect yourself from a work outage is not to test your children if they get the sniffles. I don't know of any workplace rule that requires quarantine after prolonged close contact with someone symptomatic but not tested.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:45 PM

2,280 posts, read 3,198,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I can't help but wonder why you would make this trip if you're THAT concerned. And - you've already booked the tickets. Isn't the horse out of the barn already? :Smack:
Yeah, I had the same thought immediately when I saw the post.

OP, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but my husband and I just flew last week and I can tell you that the crappy way of flying with people packed like sardines on a plane is back in full force. So prepare yourself mentally. Eating on the plane should be relatively safe, but you will be exposed to risks no matter what, and you are taking a risk whenever you're flying, you just have to be vigilant with personal hygiene.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:12 PM

689 posts, read 657,010 times
Kids get sick, they get better, life goes on. It's well documented that COVID is usually not a big deal for kids. They will actually be better off that you are taking them into public and potentially exposing them to more germs than they normally would have been. Seriously. Go back to using normal soap, ditch the squirts of sanitizer every 20 minutes, and let them build up their immunity systems again.

Now that all of the senior citizens, people with compromised immune systems, and everyone else who wanted the vaccine has had a chance to go get it, it's time for us all to get back to normal and stop worrying about it.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 AM

1,423 posts, read 601,165 times
Which airline?

You may want to check on food service. I flew first class on Delta last week (transcontinental) and we were served a choice of a bistro box or a market box (a bunch of savory snacks - beef jerky, mini bar, puffed veggie chips, and almonds). I wasn't interested as I don't care for salty snack foods.

You may want to bring some healthy food for your kids.

I forgot to mention - Delta's policy is to put your mask back on between bites of food.

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 05-24-2021 at 10:52 AM..

Old Today, 11:26 AM

18,349 posts, read 23,812,026 times
I've flown first class 4 times since May 2020. I'm still alive. AA and United are serving food but not like the old days just yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel