U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:30 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,828,869 times

Advertisements

We're going to do our first flight since COVID for a family vacation in Alaska in July (we live in California). My wife and I are vaccinated but our kids are too young. Of course we'll wear masks and we also booked first class, for more leg room and to avoid sharing a row with non family members.

The flight will be too long for the kids to not eat. That raises some concerns about when they take off their masks. Hoping some people can advise on the overall safety for our kids during these flights. We'll eat quickly but otherwise, can't avoid it entirely during the flight.

Appreciate other's feedback here (no politics please).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 10:18 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,244,550 times
No issues for kids, adults either.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
No issues for kids, adults either.
Do you mean the risk is low for unvaccinated people to be eating on a plane without a mask? Just trying to understand what you mean by "no issues".

Old 05-19-2021, 11:04 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,529,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Do you mean the risk is low for unvaccinated people to be eating on a plane without a mask? Just trying to understand what you mean by "no issues".
You can remove your masks to eat and drink. The likelihood of you catching Covid on a plane is nil... these helps filters do a great job of cleaning the air.

Even though you’re vaccinated you can still catch and spread the virus... so keep that in mind and wash/sanitize your hand often.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You can remove your masks to eat and drink. The likelihood of you catching Covid on a plane is nil... these helps filters do a great job of cleaning the air.

Even though you’re vaccinated you can still catch and spread the virus... so keep that in mind and wash/sanitize your hand often.
Good point. I have read there's some potential concern when the crew turns off the air, but that would likely be before and after flying, rather than when they're serving meals.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,244,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Being in a plane is one of the safer places to be because of the air filtration, which is rarely turned off while in the air. I'm more concerned being shoulder to shoulder in the terminal, baggage claim, etc..

Old 05-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Being in a plane is one of the safer places to be because of the air filtration, which is rarely turned off while in the air. I'm more concerned being shoulder to shoulder in the terminal, baggage claim, etc..
Agreed about that, although we'll avoid eating in the terminal and taking our masks off during those times.

We'll also stay away from crowds (to the extent possible) until its time to board. For baggage claim, I could get the luggage while my wife and kids are away from that area.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:59 PM

14,310 posts, read 20,683,612 times
It's not complex and the airline recognize that you can't eat through a mask and allow this simple process: take off your mask, eat, put mask back on (if still required in July).

Warning here: I probably caught covid from a flight I took in November (through the process of elimination, that was my conclusion). Don't put your faith in masks or the airline filtration system. Masks are useless when people are in such close proximity, touching seatbacks, moving through the aisles, etc. Then they had an empty seat between each passenger. Still useless. You are in a stuffy metal tube with 100+ people, if someone has covid, you will probably get it.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-19-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 05:30 PM

7,250 posts, read 3,804,227 times
Very low risk, not worth worrying about IMO. Feed those kids whenever it's called for.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:37 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,045,569 times
If your kids are toddlers:

Because children touch everything and then put their fingers in their mouths, don't depend on the airline to sanitize your seat area. Carry your own surface disinfectant wipes and wipe down your seat area and the lavatories when you use them. Also carry hand wipes to periodically wipe your kids hands.

If they are older than toddlers, but under age 12:

I would still wipe down the area with my own wipes, but worry less about the fingers in mouth.

For all of you: worry less about the masks and make sure you are all well hydrated. Take off the masks and make sure you are drinking enough water. Getting dehydrated is a bigger risk than taking your mask off.

Not sure about the ages of your kids, but for infants and toddlers you can brink milk and juice without regard to the 3-1-1- restrictions.

"Formula, breast milk and juice for infants or toddlers are permitted in reasonable quantities through the security checkpoint. Remove these items from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings.

Inform the TSA officer at the beginning of the screening process that you carry formula, breast milk and juice in excess of 3.4 ounces in your carry-on bag. These liquids are typically screened by X-ray."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...eling-children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel