U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 02:31 PM

11,614 posts, read 10,562,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
#1 Buckeyes vs Michigan football game at Ohio Stadium. Any year!
No one thinks this is a tourist venue unless you are a buckeye or a Michigan fan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 03:20 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,028,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
But...but... it's the Happiest Place in all the World!
Haha. I thought that was Victoria's Secret when they had their 2 for 1 winter sales on underwires. Who knew...

I guess the most crowded-in I've ever felt was during the 8-wks of summer feasts in the N. End, Boston, particularly St. Anthony's Feast, which is the last one & most attended... but, as someone said above, it's mainly as the space is so limited & maneuvering around 1 small corner takes 1-hr, not kidding... similar to the St. Pat's Parade in my old 'hood, where 500K attend yearly.

It's etched in my brain at how crowded it was, as the last time I attended... age 19-20... was the moment I either realized I was claustrophobic or developed it... I'm tall, but was surrounded by men well over Paul Bunyan height on all sides (in my memory, they seemed 7' tall cuz I'm 6' in heels)... I couldn't see over anyone in any direction for hours... just a wall of people in humid, August heat in a crowded part of the city. There was no out.

Since then, but including the Bowie concert a few years before when my sister & I were almost trampled as we were pushed underneath the stage by crowds (we were 13 & 14 & she won front seat tix on the radio) & staff just kept pushing us back towards the crushing crowd... it's amazing we lived & jeez... why did parents let their 13-14 yr old daughters to go to Boston Garden concerts alone, at night, in a giant city ??

I'm done with crowds. Like I said in an above post... I'd rather find the out of the way places locals visit, than tourist sites. Who doesn't want to see all the wonderful places people have posted here? I still would, but it would have to be off-off season.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:24 PM

3,513 posts, read 2,374,901 times
Reading these posts brings back fond memories of visits to these places in the off season, and in years past when they weren't so packed.

- Venice in late January. St. Marks was deserted.
- Zion in early May years ago. So empty they gave me a camping permit for a day use area.
- Forbidden City in January, about 15 years ago. Hardly anyone there. And the ice skating on the nearby lakes was magical.
- Mont St. Michel, overnight, in the off season. The streets were deserted.
- Grand Canyon in late December, camped at Bright Angel at the bottom.

These posts make me so glad I got to see these places in an earlier time, in the off season and without crowds.

Now we seek out, and find, places we can have to ourselves. Yesterday, we hiked a streamside trail looking at the rapids and hunting for spring wildflowers. Only saw 4 other people in 2 hours! On Sunday!

Old 05-24-2021, 04:20 PM

10,150 posts, read 9,872,076 times
Texas State Fair on Texas-OU weekend around the Big Tex area....

On Saturday October 16, 2019 the Fair grounds Had 226,000 attendees. It was pretty crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
Most overly-crowded tourist site vou've been to-84220b94-37de-4e8a-bb3f-eb29faf7a986.png  

Last edited by ScoPro; 05-24-2021 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-24-2021, 04:29 PM

763 posts, read 481,424 times
Easily the Sistine Chapel. It's a river of people flowing through. However, I was able to step off to the side, sit down and just gaze at the ceiling for awhile.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:29 AM

5,774 posts, read 2,716,598 times
Taste of Chicago. When the cell phones can't get signal because there's too many people for the cell network of downtown Chicago, you know it's crowded.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 2,374,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Taste of Chicago. When the cell phones can't get signal because there's too many people for the cell network of downtown Chicago, you know it's crowded.
I was in Chicago, as a young adult, for the first Taste. It was a great event, and didn't seem too crowded, although I probably had a different view of crowds back then! Chicago took great advantage of its lakeside location for the Taste and for Chicagofest back then.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:44 AM

5,483 posts, read 2,291,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No one thinks this is a tourist venue unless you are a buckeye or a Michigan fan.
lol - It is holy land to those of us who know.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:45 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,211,648 times
Niagara Falls, Canadian side was just lunacy a couple years ago.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:36 PM

496 posts, read 180,098 times
** Times Square

** La Familia Sagrada, Barcelona

** Circular Quay, (near the Opera House), Sydney, Australia

** Las Ramblas, Barcelona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel