U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:15 AM

18,739 posts, read 8,087,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So many insurers love to offer you cheap roadside insurance as a way of making it difficult to get lower quotes from others as the dings can lower your insurance score.

Like a credit score , insurance companies use an insurance score to price you .

Each company has their own proprietary scoring system which they use to determine quotes but all utilize info from clue the reporting agency for un reimbursed claims on home and auto

You would think they would be smart enough to not deter a potentially profitable customer over petty roadside claims.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:15 AM

92,426 posts, read 89,935,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You would think they would be smart enough to not deter a potentially profitable customer over petty roadside claims.
Well they don’t charge you for the roadside dings but those dings do efffect your quotes from other insurers

Old 05-28-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Well they don’t charge you for the roadside dings but those dings do efffect your quotes from other insurers

That's what I am saying seems short-sighted, to provide a higher quote (and thus likelier they don't become a customer) and lose out on hundreds of dollars profit on full coverage premiums over a few hundred dollar roadside claims. The hundred dollar claims are not going to materially affect the insurer. The injury accidents dwarf them. If I was an insurer I wouldn't even look at sub-$1000 claims unless there were additional $5000+ claims. Numbers could vary. You get the idea. I wouldn't want to chase off a safe driver that avoids accidents over a few flats and dead batteries.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:44 AM

They will look at the whole clue report and see what they want to quote as a premium …

Old 05-28-2021, 11:22 AM

19,009 posts, read 24,583,191 times
We think so. It saved us quite a bit on our FL trip with hotels.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:44 PM

8,551 posts, read 6,994,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
BINGO! It's all a matter of which group you choose to be in... the irresponsible group who never thinks about preventive maintenance or the responsible group who takes every reasonable precaution to ensure that their car doesn't break down on the side of the road or run out of gas on a lonely stretch of highway.

In 50 years of driving, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've had a breakdown or flat on the side of a highway or had a car that failed to start. I've NEVER run out of gas. Anyone who has a breakdown, runs out of gas, or failure to start about once per year shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel because they clearly have no idea of what preventative maintenance and responsible ownership means. Why should I, as a responsible driver and car owner, subsidize those who won't take the time to look out for their own safety and well being?
How are you subsidizing anyone if you don't purchase membership? And who made you the judge of who should be driving?

Car parts fail. I had a timing belt drop off my car 15,000 miles before it was time to be replaced per the maintenance schedule (car was only 5 years old). Fortunately that was the only thing that had to be repaired, the damage could've been so much worse. Maybe they sweep the freeways every day where you live, but roads have crap on them that punctures even the best tires, little things like screws or metal objects that can't be seen when driving 65 miles an hour. I had a 6" long stainless steel dental tool lying in the road puncture my tire and stay in there. No amount of preventative maintenance or "responsibility" could have caused this not to happen. I consider carrying towing insurance to be the responsible thing to do.

Things like tools, wood, and random stuff can fly off other vehicles and strike your car shattering the windshield (as happened to a sibling). I once had to dodge a moon roof that flew off a car on a flatbed! Electronics can give faulty readings due to failed sensors, gaskets fail, thermostats can fail, bad gas can foul your fuel injector. Spouses don't always communicate clearly, and one sets their purse down in the car, only to have the other use the master button to lock the doors and get out (my hubby did that once, and my sister had her husband close the trunk with her purse/keys inside). Hey, nobody's perfect, and having a free lockout service eliminated the blame game and a lot of fussing. Before the days of automatic headlights, people often left the headlights on by mistake and depleted the battery. If there's no one around to give you a jump, what to do? Happy to say this never happened to me, but on rainy days, and before the days of headlight ding-dongers and portable jump start devices, it happened to lots of people. I drove in the mountains a lot (I lived there) where the nearest auto shop that's more than a glorified gas station (where they're guaranteed not to have a part for your make and model) is sometimes more than 50 miles away. Call and ask a tow truck driver what it would cost to tow you 50 miles or more. I guarantee that one tow pays for more than a year of membership.

Stuff happens, but I guess you're perfect, so stuff never happens to you. For the rest of us, there's AAA, or paying the tow truck guy whatever he feels like charging. Buy it, don't buy it, I don't care. To me, it's worth it. YMMV

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-28-2021 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-28-2021, 04:10 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,279,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We think so. It saved us quite a bit on our FL trip with hotels.
Many motels will give discounts for just about anything. Here's just a few: AARP, Senior Citizen, Veteran, Government Worker, First Responder, Healthcare Workers, and many more that I can't think of at the moment. Most don't even ask to see a membership card although occasionally you'll find a motel that does want to see the card.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Many motels will give discounts for just about anything. Here's just a few: AARP, Senior Citizen, Veteran, Government Worker, First Responder, Healthcare Workers, and many more that I can't think of at the moment. Most don't even ask to see a membership card although occasionally you'll find a motel that does want to see the card.

Often the best rate is the "Internet Rate" which is available to anyone booking online. The AAA discounts are over-rated. 30 years ago there weren't may alternative sources but there aren't many AAA discounts that can't be had by other means.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:35 PM

I agree ,there deals today were just meh

Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,279,220 times
Quote:
I agree ,there deals today were just meh
Yeah, but many people think they are saving SOOOO much money by getting their AAA discount on motel rooms. Most could probably get the same rate without being a AAA member. LOL.

And as for the roadside assistance service, I just checked my car insurance policy. As near as I can tell, it covers the same items that AAA does, but there is a limit to it. The limit is $75 per incident with a maximum of 3 incidents. It costs me $6 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel