U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 07:07 PM

8,570 posts, read 16,724,014 times

Advertisements

I have the highest AAA membership (all the bells and whistles) and wouldn't be without it. Even if I didn't use it, it's peace of mind; but I have used it, even with a new car. Living in the middle of BFE, the local AAA tow guy has been great! He drove us home (with my Service Dog), then went back to tow the car to the repair station. There's no taxi or bus service here - and the nearest Uber/Lyft is 45 minutes away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 07:10 PM

11,569 posts, read 7,580,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I've purchased vehicles, sold vehicles, and renewed my tags every year right from the comfort of my own home. I get on the computer, click a few keys, and it's done. My new license plate or sticker comes in the mail in a few days. I don't belong to AAA and don't have to go their office for anything... and of course don't have to pay them anything either. Perhaps other states need to catch up with Florida... in more ways than one.
We renew our tags every year without the need to visit the DMV (or AAA), and when we sell a car, we only need to give the old title to the new owner with our signature relinquishing it. But when we buy a used car, we have to turn in the old title with the new information filled in on the back to an actual human being so we can get a new title with our name on it. How does that work in Florida? Do you mail the old title in or just click a few keys?

Old 05-29-2021, 07:28 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,289,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We renew our tags every year without the need to visit the DMV (or AAA), and when we sell a car, we only need to give the old title to the new owner with our signature relinquishing it. But when we buy a used car, we have to turn in the old title with the new information filled in on the back to an actual human being so we can get a new title with our name on it. How does that work in Florida? Do you mail the old title in or just click a few keys?
If you buy a car (new or used) from a dealer, they take care of the title work. If you sell a used car to an individual, you turn the title over to them.

It has been so long since I bought a used vehicle from an individual, I don't know what the current method is. Don't know if you can just mail in the old title and get a new one sent to you or if have to take it to the DMV. Sorry I can't answer that. I suppose that if I wanted to know badly enough, I'd just call and ask them.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 PM

11,569 posts, read 7,580,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
If you buy a car (new or used) from a dealer, they take care of the title work. If you sell a used car to an individual, you turn the title over to them.

It has been so long since I bought a used vehicle from an individual, I don't know what the current method is. Don't know if you can just mail in the old title and get a new one sent to you or if have to take it to the DMV. Sorry I can't answer that. I suppose that if I wanted to know badly enough, I'd just call and ask them.
I was curious about whether my state (California) needs to "catch up" with Florida, so I looked it up myself. Apparently the buyer of a used car in FL either has to go to the Tax Collector Office with the paper title, or the buyer and seller both go to the Tax Collector Office to transfer an electronic title. Tax Collector Office. It sounds scarier than the DMV.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:21 PM

30,269 posts, read 30,173,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was curious about whether my state (California) needs to "catch up" with Florida, so I looked it up myself. Apparently the buyer of a used car in FL either has to go to the Tax Collector Office with the paper title, or the buyer and seller both go to the Tax Collector Office to transfer an electronic title. Tax Collector Office. It sounds scarier than the DMV.
I'd go with you and hold your hand.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:59 PM

2,590 posts, read 1,303,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good point. AAA has consistently supported and lobbied for lower speed limits, red light and speed cameras, stricter traffic enforcement, higher fuel taxes, mileage taxes, and various other motorist-unfriendly laws.
AAA and AAMVA out for profits in terms of lobbying the feds and each of the 50 states. What you say is Very true and the discrapancy from state to state while they striving to lobby to electronically link driving records together into one large database throughout the country and maybe even internationally in the future despite varying laws is really predatory. Apparently I believe AAMVA and AAA does play a role in lobbying or bribing states to play the Real ID game even the ones that a few years ago legislated against it.

What I am really upset with is how I heard that AAA now abandons its members on the side of the road as a result of their new blanket COVID policies which has little consideration many of members needs when rideshare or taxi are getting scarce and cell phone receptions are bad in many places where there are no alternate transportation which is fairly common in rural North America. Good luck getting an Uber in the middle of the plains or desert with no cell reception. Also the taxi or Uber also need to be available right when AAA is available which makes it a double impossibility.
I don't know how many of these nightmare stories are true. I.e nurse refused to be helped at all by AAA because they suspect she works with COVID patients, a Tesla owner forced to ride on the flatbed as her
Tesla's power system malfunctioned, someone was denied service in America's heartlands where there are no cell phone receptions let alone alternative transportation(few cars/trucks pass by an hour) due to AAA's new no ridealong policies end up having to wait hours in dangerous conditions until a stranger with towing capability could help them with their broken down vehicle. Its understandable that the person would rather stay with their vehicle which acts as shelter from the elements. But if they were true I would really not want to pay for AAA membership anymore. Sad to see such a once helpful company turn this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have the highest AAA membership (all the bells and whistles) and wouldn't be without it. Even if I didn't use it, it's peace of mind; but I have used it, even with a new car. Living in the middle of BFE, the local AAA tow guy has been great! He drove us home (with my Service Dog), then went back to tow the car to the repair station. There's no taxi or bus service here - and the nearest Uber/Lyft is 45 minutes away.
Just curious whether this is before or after 2020. And whether the tow was a contracted tow company or owned by AAA? As I was alarmed by AAA's new policy requiring AAA to find a taxi or Uber for the member and his/her family which can be very scarce and pricy these days. And they often only would take two or three passengers meaning a family of four would need two vehicles, this is not only super pricy but almost impossible in some cases. When some one breaks down in some part of LA or other sketchy inner north Amercian they would want to be able to get into a locked vehicle and depart as soon as possible rather than remain sitting ducks waiting for a taxi or rideshare that might never arrive. In rural areas harsh weather, hill·bil·ly, dangerous creatures, are all dangers stranded motorists can face.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 06-08-2021 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 05:50 AM

3,643 posts, read 4,521,356 times
Long ago, we gave up AAA in favor of (IMO) better coverage via Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-11-2021, 06:09 PM

4,313 posts, read 10,265,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My auto insurer offers free towing and roadside assist included in my premium. I would check and see if your policy has this feature.
Mine too and I also had it through a plan with Lexus and I tried the later and holding for 45 minutes and no one ever answered.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 PM

24,936 posts, read 10,264,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Mine too and I also had it through a plan with Lexus and I tried the later and holding for 45 minutes and no one ever answered.
The problem with insurers' programs is that they will pay for the tow if you can find it. The AAA has its own network.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:28 AM

92,489 posts, read 90,040,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
AAA and AAMVA out for profits in terms of lobbying the feds and each of the 50 states. What you say is Very true and the discrapancy from state to state while they striving to lobby to electronically link driving records together into one large database throughout the country and maybe even internationally in the future despite varying laws is really predatory. Apparently I believe AAMVA and AAA does play a role in lobbying or bribing states to play the Real ID game even the ones that a few years ago legislated against it.

What I am really upset with is how I heard that AAA now abandons its members on the side of the road as a result of their new blanket COVID policies which has little consideration many of members needs when rideshare or taxi are getting scarce and cell phone receptions are bad in many places where there are no alternate transportation which is fairly common in rural North America. Good luck getting an Uber in the middle of the plains or desert with no cell reception. Also the taxi or Uber also need to be available right when AAA is available which makes it a double impossibility.
I don't know how many of these nightmare stories are true. I.e nurse refused to be helped at all by AAA because they suspect she works with COVID patients, a Tesla owner forced to ride on the flatbed as her
Tesla's power system malfunctioned, someone was denied service in America's heartlands where there are no cell phone receptions let alone alternative transportation(few cars/trucks pass by an hour) due to AAA's new no ridealong policies end up having to wait hours in dangerous conditions until a stranger with towing capability could help them with their broken down vehicle. Its understandable that the person would rather stay with their vehicle which acts as shelter from the elements. But if they were true I would really not want to pay for AAA membership anymore. Sad to see such a once helpful company turn this way.

Just curious whether this is before or after 2020. And whether the tow was a contracted tow company or owned by AAA? As I was alarmed by AAA's new policy requiring AAA to find a taxi or Uber for the member and his/her family which can be very scarce and pricy these days. And they often only would take two or three passengers meaning a family of four would need two vehicles, this is not only super pricy but almost impossible in some cases. When some one breaks down in some part of LA or other sketchy inner north Amercian they would want to be able to get into a locked vehicle and depart as soon as possible rather than remain sitting ducks waiting for a taxi or rideshare that might never arrive. In rural areas harsh weather, hill·bil·ly, dangerous creatures, are all dangers stranded motorists can face.

It wasn’t a triple aaa thing about keeping riders out of the trucks …that was done by most tow companies regardless of affiliation as a safety precaution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel