U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 06:56 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,425,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
…that was done by most tow companies regardless of affiliation as a safety precaution
In reality, to limit their liability.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 AM

8,571 posts, read 16,642,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

Just curious whether this is before or after 2020. And whether the tow was a contracted tow company or owned by AAA? As I was alarmed by AAA's new policy requiring AAA to find a taxi or Uber for the member and his/her family which can be very scarce and pricy these days. And they often only would take two or three passengers meaning a family of four would need two vehicles, this is not only super pricy but almost impossible in some cases. When some one breaks down in some part of LA or other sketchy inner north Amercian they would want to be able to get into a locked vehicle and depart as soon as possible rather than remain sitting ducks waiting for a taxi or rideshare that might never arrive. In rural areas harsh weather, hill·bil·ly, dangerous creatures, are all dangers stranded motorists can face.
The incident involving the tow driving home all 3 of us (SD included) was within the last 12 months - either end of 2020 or early 2021 and it is in the southern part of western TN - very rural, the nearest taxi would be 45 min away; the nearest Uber/Lyft might be in Memphis, 1.5 hours away. At worst, he could/would have taken us all, including vehicle, to the service station where we were going to have to buy a new tire - actually bought 4 and kept one for a spare. Taking us home to use our 2nd vehicle was preferable. One learns in the country to never be without a spare vehicle.

I've had my vehicle, me, and SD towed 50 miles from the nearest large town/"city" to my repair company - at no cost to me. Thank you AAA - that was 2 years ago when a pothole caused a tie-rod to break on the spare vehicle. The same with travelling the interstates between TN and NYC - AAA tow included a ride for husband, me, and SD.

Living in the middle of BFE, driving on "main" roads where the nearest house/business could be a mile or more away, leaving driver or other occupants to figure out transportation would be serious issue. With AAA, I have no problems.

So far, I've not had any issues with my Service Dog being included in the ride.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:58 AM

2,562 posts, read 1,259,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
In reality, to limit their liability.
https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news...-sharing-apps/
Interstate towing seems to have the best policy on this.

While many other businesses were struggling since the pandemic AAA and other insurance companies/motor clubs were overflowing with money in 2020 as claims dropped significantly yet people were still paying the same amount for membership or insurance coverage. In fact they considered refunding money to users.

Thus is really no excuse for AAA wording their policies as in throwing their loyal members under the bus on these tough times. Instead they could have word it like how Interstate towing did with their article. And offered all members full reimbursements in obtaining local accessible van ride services(best choice for larger families/handicapped/social distancing, taxis, or TNCs (which I believe really would appreciate the business) or other rides they strike deals with whenever possible in urban areas. I am sure they would appreciate the business. Allow any available and nearest to pick them up. Paying them waiting time for the tow truck to arrive or let them drive the family to a place of safety first than return for the tow truck.

Where its impossible to seek alternative transportation(i.e in the deserts/Alaska/Middle rural America, on freeways or dangerous narrow highways) or if its simply unavailable at that time. They should attempt to use tow vehicles with back seats and a sneeze guard. Along with KN95/KF94 masks. Or if that doesn't work a flatbed. Remember even Midtown NYC near Time Square was devoid of taxicabs during these surreal times. Rural areas never had taxis or Uber in fact with no cellphone reception these apps don't work for the driver nor the rider.

Interesting AAA policies and I guess other motor clubs as well require the member to stay near the vehicle when the service arrives until its completed, or the vehicle reaches its final drop off location. Which makes sense in someways during normal times other wise AAA or the tow company might be on the hook should the vehicle be damaged before they arrive to pick it up or after dropping off at its final destination . Or if the vehicle was stolen, broken into, towed away, or impounded either before the service arrives or after AAA dropped/unhooked/unloads it off after towing it to its final destination along side a road or deserted parking lot. Thus members sign a release when the technician fixes the vehicle or drops the vehicle at its destination.

Though since COVID how on earth would one be able coordinate both times well with rideshare or taxis which are pretty scarce and tow trucks that may also take about 2 hours to arrive? If broken down late in the evening the only taxi or Uber on the road may be the only one that night. If one waits for the tow truck to arrive rather than getting the first taxi or uber/lyft they locate, they may not find another one that night. Should one book it and pay the waiting fee until the tow truck arrives?

I am glad that the last poster got good understanding service from AAA including service dog otherwise it would had been a nightmare. In many rural areas the nearest occupied private home may be 50 miles away.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:15 PM

33,991 posts, read 37,505,740 times
It's absolutely worth it IMO. Unlike getting road service through your car insurance company you can call AAA even if you're a passenger is someone else's car because the coverage is for YOU, not the vehicle. I even used it once when a friend was visiting and her car wouldn't start when she was ready to leave. Since I was there they came out and jumped her vehicle. They will replace your batter for you too if their equipment shows it's faulty and usually have them right on the truck so you don't even have to wait. My family has used this feature 3 times over the years on different cars. You can also do most of your DMV transactions at an AAA office and avoid the actual DMV.

I gave all my kids AAA gift memberships and renew them every year as a birthday gift. I got the one with the most towing miles because they often drive long distances between states.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:27 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,418,808 times
Lots of replies already and mine will be similar to many others in that if you need one long tow every few years AAA still pays for itself. I am old enough to know that no amount of preparation will 100% protect you from needing service at some point. I also seem to have better luck or maybe travel more that other posters. I am the type that will call the hotels asking for any special discounts or promotions but as others have mentioned the internet price is often as low as they go. Only a small number of times did we get a better deal calling and "haggling". Others mileage will vary of course. I am only talking about me.

Spent 6 days in Chicago recently and AAA rate was better than any other rate I could get, even my corporate rate and the loyalty rate. 19 dollars less per night x 6 was nearly the cost of my AAA Premier membership.

For me it is specifically the 200 mile tow and hotel room discounts. Despite what some other posters have said I still find plenty of hotels where AAA saves enough to make it worth it.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:29 PM

409 posts, read 94,358 times
I’ve used it twice each of the past three years! Two jump starts, two flats, one out of gas and one breakdown tow. $$280 aprox for membership fees, with about $612 in services given. Yes, it’s worth it.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:25 PM

8,543 posts, read 6,031,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The problem with insurers' programs is that they will pay for the tow if you can find it. The AAA has its own network.
That only works if their network is any good. As I said in my earlier post no one came out to get me and I was on my own. AAA told me I was on my own after waiting a few hours and it was getting dark. Told me to find a ride home and leave my Ferrari on the side of the road overnight. I now carry a tow company’s number in my cell as I can’t rely on aaa to tow me or even tell me the truth if I am getting a tow.

Lots of people saying just get one tow and it’s worth it. Is it worth it being abandoned on the side of the road by aaa as it gets dark?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:25 AM

No it is definitely not. And if this ever happened to me I would certainly question my AAA membership as well. But until it does its business as usual for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That only works if their network is any good. As I said in my earlier post no one came out to get me and I was on my own. AAA told me I was on my own after waiting a few hours and it was getting dark. Told me to find a ride home and leave my Ferrari on the side of the road overnight. I now carry a tow company’s number in my cell as I can’t rely on aaa to tow me or even tell me the truth if I am getting a tow.

Lots of people saying just get one tow and it’s worth it. Is it worth it being abandoned on the side of the road by aaa as it gets dark?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:36 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,195,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I’ve used it twice each of the past three years! Two jump starts, two flats, one out of gas and one breakdown tow. $$280 aprox for membership fees, with about $612 in services given. Yes, it’s worth it.
You are precisely the type person who should purchase the AAA membership. Someone who can't or won't maintain their vehicles in good condition, pay attention to the gas gauge, keep a good battery in the car, and keep a pump or spare tire in the car will find that AAA is a bargain. These type people are subsidized quite heavily by AAA members who do take care of their car.

I don't belong to AAA because I haven't had as many breakdowns or need for assistance in 50 years of driving as you have in the past 3 years, and I don't want to pay my money to subsidize people who won't take care of their car.

AAA should do like the automobile insurance companies do. People who have lots of accidents pay sky high rates if they can even get insurance at all while people who seldom ever have an "at fault" accident get the lowest rates.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:21 PM

Its like 100 bucks a year....Heavily subsidized LOL

If you have been driving for 50 years you really should know better that taking care of your car doesn't guarantee anything. I take care of my cars just like my father before me and we still have had our issues.

A pump and a spare tire isn't going to do any good if you have a blowout on the freeway. No way am I, nor my wife attempting to change that tire on the side while cars zoom past. People get killed doing this.

The only issue with comparing AAA and insurance companies is that locking yourself out of your vehicle, needing a jumpstart, tow or running out of gas do not cause property damage or loss of life.

While you are certainly entitled to your bias, you really are trying pretty hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You are precisely the type person who should purchase the AAA membership. Someone who can't or won't maintain their vehicles in good condition, pay attention to the gas gauge, keep a good battery in the car, and keep a pump or spare tire in the car will find that AAA is a bargain. These type people are subsidized quite heavily by AAA members who do take care of their car.

I don't belong to AAA because I haven't had as many breakdowns or need for assistance in 50 years of driving as you have in the past 3 years, and I don't want to pay my money to subsidize people who won't take care of their car.

AAA should do like the automobile insurance companies do. People who have lots of accidents pay sky high rates if they can even get insurance at all while people who seldom ever have an "at fault" accident get the lowest rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel