U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 10:18 AM

8,498 posts, read 5,997,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
No it is definitely not. And if this ever happened to me I would certainly question my AAA membership as well. But until it does its business as usual for me.
As I said prior I had no issues in California. Here in Georgia it’s been a total disaster. Not sure why it’s like that, but have two episodes of Being told a tow was on its way and no one shows up has soured me on aaa. But it’s cheap and I’ve had it for well over 20 years so I will keep it just for out of state travel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 08:06 PM

265 posts, read 176,161 times
We have had it for years and it was always worth it. When our kids were teenagers it was a lifesaver. Countless times someone in the family locked themselves out of the car. Nowadays if you have a newer vehicle you don't have to worry about that. Dead batteries, blown tires, tows, etc. Hotel discounts and help with travel plans. We still have it even with the kids being grown. Used our insurances at one time and it took hours to get a tow and 3 different tow trucks to be able to tow our vehicle. Switched back to AAA.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 PM

41,917 posts, read 54,617,647 times
Been an AAA member for 59 years, well worth it.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:30 AM

1,771 posts, read 617,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I don't know why you would assume the service is slower than calling for a tow. I've frequently gotten help from AAA within half an hour in a major metro area. Takes longer if you are in a rural locale, just the same as any tow truck.
Well as someone who is good friends with a couple of tow company owners, I'll tell you why it can take longer for AAA service. Being contracted as a AAA company is a good deal for tow companies as it gives them a guaranteed source of income. On the flip side, though, the negative, of course, is that AAA knows this and due to this and their size they are able to negotiate much lower rates. For instance, if a person were to call up for a tow without AAA they might be quoted $100 for that tow. That same tow with AAA might be a $50 charge to AAA.

So, let's say that two people are looking for a tow at the same time. The tow operator gets the call from one person without AAA and one call from AAA. Which do you think he's going to be more inclined to do first? He's going to do the one without AAA first for a couple of reasons. If one of those two backs out due to the wait time and he only gets to do one of the tows, would he rather do the $50 tow or the $100 tow? Second, the person calling without AAA is far more likely to look for another tow operator if it's going to be too long since all the money is coming out of his pocket anyway. The AAA customer is just going to wait as long as it takes for someone to get there.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 4,773,398 times
I would say that Overall yes, it is, but understand what type of traveler I am.

I have had AAA memberships (or as we jokingly call it Triple-A-A-A) since the 80s. I am most content in the USA on the road, in a car, traveling from place to place making the journey more important than the destination. I do often fly from place to place, but my love for the road trip goes back to when I was younger and it was cheaper than flying. I always entertained myself in the car by watching the scenery, the towns, learning about places along the way and wondering how things were for people in the mountains versus the big cities.

Having AAA was not just about the roadside protection, which more than pays for itself in towing and flat tires as well as dead batteries.

Once, my car bit the dust on a Sunday afternoon in the backroads of Kansas. Before Cellphones, so I walked to the nearest diner, 5 miles, used their phone to call AAA. They got me and towed me to a dealership in Tulsa, the town where I was working.
I still keep a AAA tourbook in my car when I am on the road in another state. I still use AAA maps. I know, I know, you can use the Iphone and GPS, but I like to und=fold a map at the beginning and end of the day and look at it. I like to pick up the TourBook and read it. I know the prices and hours are not often accurate, but I want to read the AAA reviews and ratings anyway. I also like the paragraphs about the history of most towns along the route.

So yes, I continue with it, but I would say if you are considering it, look at how much use and utils you would get for the price and then make an informed decision.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:03 AM

6,316 posts, read 4,850,043 times
Count me a satisfied AAA member. Battery replacements and jumps starts and peace of mind have made it an overall net positive for me. The one big negative is the amount of physical junk mail that they and their affiliates send. It's a concerning amount of repeating solicitations for mainly life and auto insurance that arrive in big, stuffed envelopes.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:22 AM

24,470 posts, read 9,947,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well as someone who is good friends with a couple of tow company owners, I'll tell you why it can take longer for AAA service. Being contracted as a AAA company is a good deal for tow companies as it gives them a guaranteed source of income. On the flip side, though, the negative, of course, is that AAA knows this and due to this and their size they are able to negotiate much lower rates. For instance, if a person were to call up for a tow without AAA they might be quoted $100 for that tow. That same tow with AAA might be a $50 charge to AAA.

So, let's say that two people are looking for a tow at the same time. The tow operator gets the call from one person without AAA and one call from AAA. Which do you think he's going to be more inclined to do first? He's going to do the one without AAA first for a couple of reasons. If one of those two backs out due to the wait time and he only gets to do one of the tows, would he rather do the $50 tow or the $100 tow? Second, the person calling without AAA is far more likely to look for another tow operator if it's going to be too long since all the money is coming out of his pocket anyway. The AAA customer is just going to wait as long as it takes for someone to get there.
Again on the "flip side" doesn't AAA know this and penalize contractors who respond too slowly? Also don't many "tow calls" not require a tow, but something less labor-intensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel