U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 10:48 AM

81,110 posts, read 6,749,747 times

Advertisements

For us, the membership fee is worthwhile, to be able to go to AAA DMV office & get our tags every year. Don't want them lost or stolen in the mail. I also like the peace of mind about towing. Cars are newish, but still good to have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 10:52 AM

17,977 posts, read 7,735,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That’s total bs. Just because you got lucky and didn’t have an incident doesn’t mean others are as lucky.
There’s a lot of women that know very little about cars and a fair amount of men too.

That's true but I've found the best "peace of mind" comes from knowing you can solve most of your own problems rather than making a call and waiting for someone to come rescue you... eventually.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:52 AM

8,551 posts, read 6,033,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
For us, the membership fee is worthwhile, to be able to go to AAA DMV office & get our tags every year. Don't want them lost or stolen in the mail. I also like the peace of mind about towing. Cars are newish, but still good to have.
As I said, the peace of mind for towing here In Georgia when down the toilet and could be different per state. I was a big proponent of aaa until my last two cases I just posted about.
In California the dmv service was good, but here in Georgia it only takes a few minutes to go in and get your tags.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's true but I've found the best "peace of mind" comes from knowing you can solve most of your own problems rather than making a call and waiting for someone to come rescue you... eventually.
True, but hitting roadside debris and getting a flat that you can’t repair on the roadside is something you usually can’t do anything about . Neither was my burst hydraulic lines.
I’m actually putting little emergency survival kits in my cars with food, water, first aid, blankets etc. just in case.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:02 AM

4,729 posts, read 10,425,342 times
I've had AAA for about 25 years and I think it pays for itself in the discounts and roadside service. One they even changed a flat in my driveway. Both my husband and I have physical limitations so something as simple as changing a tire can be painful for us. We don't travel a lot but we enjoy the hotel discounts when we do. We use a AAA approved mechanic locally and get a discount on our maintenance and repairs as well. A couple of years ago, I priced out car and home insurance through them and their prices were better than most and have not jumped year to year like many. It really is a relatively small price to pay especially if you get the basic membership which is about $60 a year. We only have the one because my husband and I always travel together so there is no need for him to have his own membership.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:36 AM

128 posts, read 130,510 times
I am very happy with our AAA membership. Not only have they come out and provided assistance when needed, but we have had them arrange our travel/tours -- and especially love their car-buying service.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:44 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,197,188 times
Quote:
That’s total bs. Just because you got lucky and didn’t have an incident doesn’t mean others are as lucky.
There’s a lot of women that know very little about cars and a fair amount of men too.
Just because you take reasonable care doesn’t mean something won’t happen.
A a car guy I’ve never run out of gas, but have had things happen.
Hit a nail and get a flat? How does your reasonable precaution help you?
In my case I had a transmission hydraulic line burst and leak the fluid out. The lines are pretty well hidden and steel braided lines don’t usually burst, but mine did.

I use the $30 pump that's powered by the car battery that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Takes about 5 minutes. Then I'm on my way. Luck just seems to have a way of following those who are prepared for it. Those who aren't prepared... eh, not so much.

To me, it just makes much better sense to try to prevent breakdowns than to depend on some third party to bail you out of a jam after you have a breakdown... not to mention that it's much less stressful to not have a breakdown in the first place.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I use the $30 pump that's powered by the car battery that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Takes about 5 minutes. Then I'm on my way. Luck just seems to have a way of following those who are prepared for it. Those who aren't prepared... eh, not so much.

To me, it just makes much better sense to try to prevent breakdowns than to depend on some third party to bail you out of a jam after you have a breakdown... not to mention that it's much less stressful to not have a breakdown in the first place.
I agree about preparation, but it doesn’t always work that way. If you get a large hole in your tire that pump can pump all the air in the world and you’re still stuck.
You think that my breakdown in a Ferrari with burst lines steel braided lines was a result of neglect and not being prepared? I don’t think so. Sometimes things happen beyond you control.
Do you skip health insurance because you think you keep yourself in good health?
How about homeowners insurance?

Old 05-27-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've had AAA for about 25 years and I think it pays for itself in the discounts and roadside service. One they even changed a flat in my driveway. Both my husband and I have physical limitations so something as simple as changing a tire can be painful for us. We don't travel a lot but we enjoy the hotel discounts when we do. We use a AAA approved mechanic locally and get a discount on our maintenance and repairs as well. A couple of years ago, I priced out car and home insurance through them and their prices were better than most and have not jumped year to year like many. It really is a relatively small price to pay especially if you get the basic membership which is about $60 a year. We only have the one because my husband and I always travel together so there is no need for him to have his own membership.
When I was in California years ago I was insured with aaa for many years. The rates kept going up so I finally shopped around. I hadn’t done that before. Boy was I shocked I got rates at 60% what aaa was and by a higher rated company too.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 608,414 times
Quote:
As I said, the peace of mind for towing here In Georgia when down the toilet and could be different per state. I was a big proponent of aaa until my last two cases I just posted about.
In California the dmv service was good, but here in Georgia it only takes a few minutes to go in and get your tags.
That's a bummer. We had to use AAA last year for a tow to mechanic and dead battery. Both times they arrived in 35-45 minutes. The AAA link they text me shows the AAA vehicle on a map so you can see where it's at in location to you. Do they not do that in GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel