Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 04:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post

The thing I am most concerned about is not spending too much money on a tow or not getting hotel discounts, but simply getting catastrophically stuck somewhere remote and not necessarily dying, but having a hard time getting back to civilization. I am not sure how triple A would help here. I mean if we had cell phone service and enough money we could just find someone to come winch us out or give us emergency help. If we lost our cell phone signal it’s not like AAA is going to have some kind of magical mind-meld with us. I guess what I am saying is … is it realistic to think that we could get ourselves into some kind of situation where the only help we could get is triple A and if we didn’t have a membership, we would be just SOL. I am thinking this is not the case. If their service were really that essential, they wouldn’t be trying to sweeten the deal w a bunc of random non car-related discounts.

What am I missing here? Anything?
Is $68-$99 a hardship for you? Do you want to have a one stop phone number to call for help or do you want to have to Google and search around for help in an unknown area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 05:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Several points based on my 38 years of membership:

1) People tell me that AAA is unnecessary as you can call a local tow service. The first and last time my wife tried that in rural Virginia at Midnight, she was told "please call me in the morning." That does not happen with AAA.
This is a good reason to have AAA. My car once died along I-15 in Idaho, early on Easter Sunday of course. The guy that came out to do the tow was not happy at all to be called from bed that morning. I doubt I'd have gotten anyone to show up without the AAA card. Also, I had a membership that covered a longer towing distances. Five miles is pretty worthless IMO.

With that said, I don't carry the coverage any longer.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:32 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
AAA is outdated. It had its use in the days of mechanical keys and no smart phones. There is absolutely no reason to buy this overpriced insurance. Free country though, waste your money if it gives you peace of mind.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
However recently as I noticed over the*years they are all about lobbying for more unnecessary nanny state laws that have plenty of unintended consequences. You cannot legislate your way towards utopia. Many new driving related laws with each passing*year in different states of the country have a lot to do with AAA's lobbying. And my membership fees are used to increase the chance I would get stopped by police in different states due to more confusing new laws. A vicious cycle as insurers would use any citations to raise rates.

Good point. AAA has consistently supported and lobbied for lower speed limits, red light and speed cameras, stricter traffic enforcement, higher fuel taxes, mileage taxes, and various other motorist-unfriendly laws.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
This is somewhat off-topic, but I am curious to hear your views K7, I too have a concealed carry license but I have never shown it to the police if I am pulled over. I don't want to add any complications or be asked to step out of the car or my truck- or hand over my gun (if I have it with me). Of course, I have the license with me and am ready to provide it, but I don't immediately offer it. I talked to other gun owners in Washington State that advised me of this policy- do you think that it is beneficial to let the police know if you have it in other states? I am hesitant to do so myself. Maybe this is just a Washington State thing. I get that the cops may be relieved to hear that we passed a background check through, what is your take on the attitudes of the police in other states?

Just my curious take,
My plan is to give it to them and be truthful if they ask questions or make requests. If there’s a gun in the car and it’s within reach, I will not move until instructed and then, very slowly and precisely. The permit itself, at least in AZ, is a good indicator but to cops in other states, no clue. Being upfront will remove any surprises though.

Best wishes!

Old 05-26-2021, 08:56 PM

5,971 posts, read 3,715,754 times
I have heard, but can't vouch that it's true, that when the cops run a trace on your license plate (when you're pulled over), that it tells them if you have a concealed carry permit. If true, then they should know this already before they walk up to your car window.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to tell them and show your CCP card along with your driver's license.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I hope the Prius we extracted from a NM national forest campground had long distance towing. Took us all day to get by t to town. Then 300 miles to nearest repair facility.

I'm thankful for 'bump starting'

Old 05-27-2021, 09:31 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is $68-$99 a hardship for you? Do you want to have a one stop phone number to call for help or do you want to have to Google and search around for help in an unknown area?
Is $68-$99 a hardship for you? Great another insult from you when none is needed or that poster did nothing to you.

You have a history of calling out people over $ amounts when its their money NOT yours. MYOB.

For someone with that many posts you are quite embarrassing to yourself, do you just like to insult members to get attention?

Last edited by 87112; 05-27-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 10:40 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
I have the service with the extended mileage towing. I used it maybe 3 times in 30 plus years when I lived in California . Slow to get to you, but a truck would show up.
Here in Georgia it’s a different story a few years back called in and after three hours no one ever show up. I remember sitting in the dark and it was cold. In the end found a local resident to help me out.
Last week has me rethinking if it’s worth it.
My car broke down and I called for a tow.aaa said a truck would be there within 2 hours, probably less. After a few hours no one show up so I called again. The operator put me on hold a few minutes then came back online and told me the tow driver was 15 minutes away. After about 40 minutes no one showed up. I called again and was told I’m on them tow list, but they had no one coming out to get me. I asked about the last call made and they said no driver was ever coming out and suggested I call an independent tow service or find a way home and abandon the car on the side of the road and call them tomorrow and MAYBE they’d get a tow. I wasn’t in the boonies, but who,wants to leave a $120k car on the side of the road?
My problem is I’ve been paying them for over 30 years and I got no service. What’s upsetting is they never called to tell me no one wAs coming out, they just left me out there. It was getting late in the day so calling a tow service was going to be harder to find.
If you are worried about your safety or your loved ones safety I would be skeptical of the benefit.
I pay close to 100 a year. I talked to my insurance guy and got towing service that reimburses up to $250 per tow for 45 a year.
I think I may give up aaa, waste of money for a company that has poor service imho.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:47 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
BINGO! It's all a matter of which group you choose to be in... the irresponsible group who never thinks about preventive maintenance or the responsible group who takes every reasonable precaution to ensure that their car doesn't break down on the side of the road or run out of gas on a lonely stretch of highway.

In 50 years of driving, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've had a breakdown or flat on the side of a highway or had a car that failed to start. I've NEVER run out of gas. Anyone who has a breakdown, runs out of gas, or failure to start about once per year shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel because they clearly have no idea of what preventative maintenance and responsible ownership means. Why should I, as a responsible driver and car owner, subsidize those who won't take the time to look out for their own safety and well being?
That’s total bs. Just because you got lucky and didn’t have an incident doesn’t mean others are as lucky.
There’s a lot of women that know very little about cars and a fair amount of men too.
Just because you take reasonable care doesn’t mean something won’t happen.
A a car guy I’ve never run out of gas, but have had things happen.
Hit a nail and get a flat? How does your reasonable precaution help you?
In my case I had a transmission hydraulic line burst and leak the fluid out. The lines are pretty well hidden and steel braided lines don’t usually burst, but mine did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel