Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 08:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,727,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I agree about preparation, but it doesn’t always work that way. If you get a large hole in your tire that pump can pump all the air in the world and you’re still stuck.
You think that my breakdown in a Ferrari with burst lines steel braided lines was a result of neglect and not being prepared? I don’t think so. Sometimes things happen beyond you control.
Do you skip health insurance because you think you keep yourself in good health?
How about homeowners insurance?
Look, AAA is primarily an insurance company that takes money from responsible people and pays it out to irresponsible people... plus keeping some for their expenses and profit. They don't do one darn thing to STOP your car from breaking down.

Being that I'm a "responsible" car owner, I figure that I'm money ahead by self insuring. My 50 years of driving experience proves that I'm right. In 50 years of driving, I've NEVER run out of gas or had my car break down on the side of the road. Twice (in 50 years) I had my car fail to start when I was away from home. One of those times, I got a ride home with a friend and came back and fixed it easily myself. Total cost to me ZERO dollars. The other time, I called a taxi to take me take me to my home where I got my other car, got a new battery for the car, and came back to the restaurant and installed it myself. Total cost for the taxi was $20. That's all I've spent for "roadside assistance" in 50 years. How much would AAA have cost me for 50 years?

Last edited by Chas863; 05-27-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 08:21 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My auto insurer offers free towing and roadside assist included in my premium. I would check and see if your policy has this feature.

it is MUCH cheaper on auto insurance policy than the triple AAA membership.

Tow insurance added to my auto policy is $3 per 6 months = $6 per year.
Compared to $68 per year AAA.

And it is quicker and easier response time for tow. The first time I was ever towed was $72, which instantly paid for 12 years worth of tow insurance. the tow insurance covers battery charging and roadside assistance, and is much quicker response time than AAA and no mileage restrictions whatsoever, and no restrictions on which tow company i use. They either pre-pay and send someone, or i pay and submit the bill, and i receive a check very quickly.

love, love, love it. many people do not know about this, and that it is so cheap to add to auto insurance policy

Old 05-27-2021, 09:38 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Look, AAA is primarily an insurance company that takes money from responsible people and pays it out to irresponsible people... plus keeping some for their expenses and profit. They don't do one darn thing to STOP your car from breaking down.

Being that I'm a "responsible" car owner, I figure that I'm money ahead by self insuring. My 50 years of driving experience proves that I'm right. In 50 years of driving, I've NEVER run out of gas or had my car break down on the side of the road. Twice (in 50 years) I had my car fail to start when I was away from home. One of those times, I got a ride home with a friend and came back and fixed it easily myself. Total cost to me ZERO dollars. The other time, I called a taxi to take me take me to my home where I got my other car, got a new battery for the car, and came back to the restaurant and installed it myself. Total cost for the taxi was $20. That's all I've spent for "roadside assistance" in 50 years. How much would AAA have cost me for 50 years?
I’m not sure what you are talking about.
I am not insured by aaa, I pay for tow service only so I don’t understand how they take insurance money from some and use it to subsidize others.
I have auto insurance elsewhere and there is no towing service or roadside assistance that is included or charged for as part of the insurance, so I don’t see how the money you talk about is supporting others you deem less responsible than yourself.
I can pay an additional fee to add roadside assistance, but it does not come from the revenues from the insurance.
When I belonged to aaa you had to be a paying member first, then you were offered insurance if you wanted, not you bought insurance And roadside assistance was included.
Oh and your 50 years is anecdotal. Doesn’t make you right in all cases.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:44 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
That's a bummer. We had to use AAA last year for a tow to mechanic and dead battery. Both times they arrived in 35-45 minutes. The AAA link they text me shows the AAA vehicle on a map so you can see where it's at in location to you. Do they not do that in GA?
Yeah. As I mentioned in California it was worthwhile. Drivers actually showed up. In Georgia it’s not so. The first case I mentioned we were able to see the truck location. It never moved for hours.
In Georgia they never offered the link on the last event. In either case it’s a possible dangerous situation to be left out there expecting a tow and no one is even coming and aaa doesn’t tell you this.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:00 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is MUCH cheaper on auto insurance policy than the triple AAA membership.

Tow insurance added to my auto policy is $3 per 6 months = $6 per year.
Compared to $68 per year AAA.

And it is quicker and easier response time for tow. The first time I was ever towed was $72, which instantly paid for 12 years worth of tow insurance. the tow insurance covers battery charging and roadside assistance, and is much quicker response time than AAA and no mileage restrictions whatsoever, and no restrictions on which tow company i use. They either pre-pay and send someone, or i pay and submit the bill, and i receive a check very quickly.

love, love, love it. many people do not know about this, and that it is so cheap to add to auto insurance policy
If your insurer reports the roadside claims to clue it can cost you hundreds more a year when you shop for insurance if it dings your insurance score ….

Geico is shrewd …they won’t penalize your premium for roadside claims but they Do report to clue so it dings your score …it may end up keeping you captive to them since quotes can be much higher with the dings you get when you shop other insurers ….smart move by geico.

To many jumps or tows can indicate you drive a poorly maintained car …locked your car keys in the car or ran out of gas can equal irresponsible driver in insurer eyes.

So many insurers love to offer you cheap roadside insurance as a way of making it difficult to get lower quotes from others as the dings can lower your insurance score.

Like a credit score , insurance companies use an insurance score to price you .

Each company has their own proprietary scoring system which they use to determine quotes but all utilize info from clue the reporting agency for un reimbursed claims on home and auto

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-28-2021 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 03:06 AM

60 posts, read 35,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
My plan is to give it to them and be truthful if they ask questions or make requests. If there’s a gun in the car and it’s within reach, I will not move until instructed and then, very slowly and precisely. The permit itself, at least in AZ, is a good indicator but to cops in other states, no clue. Being upfront will remove any surprises though.

Best wishes!
Thank-you for your reply K7!

Old 05-28-2021, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I have heard, but can't vouch that it's true, that when the cops run a trace on your license plate (when you're pulled over), that it tells them if you have a concealed carry permit. If true, then they should know this already before they walk up to your car window.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to tell them and show your CCP card along with your driver's license.
Thanks for the input Chas. I heard that the police know before they approach you too, but not once has a cop asked me to provide my concealed license or ask me about having a gun in the car. I don't get pulled over a lot, but I have received a warning after crossing the border from Idaho to Oregon and speeding in Oregon last year (I did not notice that the speed limits had changed as I was being a space cadet and looking around). I was careful though when hitting the last rest area in Idaho and made sure that I locked my gun in a case in the back of the truck though (Oregon has very restrictive concealed carry laws).

Old 05-28-2021, 03:19 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
As strict as nyc is on permits there is no link between any hand gun permits and drivers license.

I once asked my buddy who worked for highway patrol here and he said they show no link.

We don’t give out many carry permits here but we do have other classes of permit which don’t allow carry so that may be why they don’t link them even though some do carry with residence and business permits which is considered a crime here .

Old 05-28-2021, 03:23 AM

Default The question is not insulting at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Is $68-$99 a hardship for you? Great another insult from you when none is needed or that poster did nothing to you.

You have a history of calling out people over $ amounts when its their money NOT yours. MYOB.

For someone with that many posts you are quite embarrassing to yourself, do you just like to insult members to get attention?
I understand your sentiments but think that this question raises a fair point- I pay around 75 in gas per day (when driving my truck, 35-40 when driving the car), around 120 (at least) for a hotel room per day, and 25-50 or so for food per day on a road trip (I can afford this though).

Far from being insulting, his question asks how important is it to spend an extra 70 or so on a road trip for the added sense of security here. Right? I think that you may be a bit too sensitive here!

Just my take,

Old 05-28-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As strict as nyc is on permits there is no link between any hand gun permits and drivers license.

I once asked my buddy who worked for highway patrol here and he said they show no link.

We don’t give out many carry permits here but we do have other classes of permit which don’t allow carry so that may be why they don’t link them even though some do carry with residence and business permits which is considered a crime here .
Interesting, thanks for your take!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel