U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:14 AM

19,505 posts, read 11,187,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Red Mountain Pass (most common way from Durango to Ouray) is not something I would do in an RV, it's not something I really care to do in a car unless truly necessary.

You might want to see if you can even get reservations at campgrounds and then base your trip on that, both areas are beautiful but crowded.
Jeez. I’ve driven lots of roads way nastier than 550 through Red Mountain Pass. It’s 7% grade maximum. A bunch of switchbacks with no guardrails. It’s plenty wide enough for RVs. I wouldn’t want to do it snow-covered but it’s no big deal with dry roads in the summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 11:29 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,476,834 times
If you do coastal CA, try to bring bikes along. Most coastal California towns have tons of fun bikeways that hug the coast or circle the estuaries where rivers and streams flow to the ocean.

Make sure you have a sturdy bike lock and don't leave anything out overnight no matter where you go. Thieves will be out in force looking to rip off tourists this summer.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:29 AM

4,622 posts, read 2,892,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Jeez. I’ve driven lots of roads way nastier than 550 through Red Mountain Pass. It’s 7% grade maximum. A bunch of switchbacks with no guardrails. It’s plenty wide enough for RVs. I wouldn’t want to do it snow-covered but it’s no big deal with dry roads in the summer.
Yes, it's perfectly fine as long as visibility and road conditions are good. The driver DOES need to keep eyes on the road, though, and someone with a strong fear of heights may want to use a different route.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:18 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,148,420 times
Interestingly I noticed some interesting things. First of all, I noticed that plane tickets to Denver seems extremely cheap these days compared to other destinations. Where traveling is picking up again as more people become vaccinated and activities open up. As low as $46 each way from LAX, Usually cheap fares means there are hardly any demand. I be curious what is wrong is it because there is an outbreak, surging cases, or the state/local governments are still being too restrictive in CO? Recently I noticed AZ tourist destinations seems more crowded than CA's tourist attractions and beaches during a normal May weekend. As AZ at least away from Phoenix is less restrictive in terms of COVID restrictions.

While these days RVs and campervans are in high demand everywhere, since many people would not want to fly or ride the train or stay in hotels/motels/lodging. However recently on Transfercar and Imoova I noticed they are trying to move vans and motorhomes to the west from Denver, CO for nearly free rates yet even at these rates people are still not taking the deal.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:54 PM

4,622 posts, read 2,892,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interestingly I noticed some interesting things. First of all, I noticed that plane tickets to Denver seems extremely cheap these days compared to other destinations. Where traveling is picking up again as more people become vaccinated and activities open up. As low as $46 each way from LAX, Usually cheap fares means there are hardly any demand. I be curious what is wrong is it because there is an outbreak, surging cases, or the state/local governments are still being too restrictive in CO?
This is the slow time of year in Colorado. Nearly all of the ski areas are closed, but the hiking trails are still icy and/or muddy. Also, some of the higher-elevation scenic roads may not be open yet. It will get busy pretty soon, though.

If you just want to drive around, take some pictures, and enjoy the beer... it's a good time of year to visit.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:15 PM

3,834 posts, read 1,729,162 times
California road conditions https://roads.dot.ca.gov/ Check before you leave, as some roads can be washed out without notice. Hwy 1 was closed for some time.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,560,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
California road conditions https://roads.dot.ca.gov/ Check before you leave, as some roads can be washed out without notice. Hwy 1 was closed for some time.
Great idea. And Hearst Castle is closed.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

41,096 posts, read 37,098,717 times
Any campgrounds near the coast usually book up to a year in advance. Better shot at a primitive one but you won't have hook ups.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 1,934,782 times
I would not do an RV trip along Highway 1 in CA. The winding nature of the road is a pain in the keester, navigating the small towns along the Central Coast is a pain and the RV parks aren't in town usually. In CA you can ONLY stay overnight in an RV in an official RV park, go you can't just pull over or pull onto a beach and spend the night. Then you have the issue of the cost of gasoline in CA. I think the average is $4.20 a gallon right now.

If I wanted to do Highway 1, I'd do it in a comfortable car.

Planning a trip like this, I'd be on TripAdvisors Road Trips Forum.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

1,507 posts, read 582,811 times
I did that route in Colorado for the first time in my life a couple of years ago, when my adult child moved to that state. It was stunning. I did it in early June. I don’t see it any more difficult to take your RV there than up the coastal California route, where I have been many times.

I don’t know how old your children are, but there is such beautiful nature in both places. However, California is guaranteed to be crowded. Parts of Colorado, like Rocky Mountain NP, will also be crowded, and zoo-like...but not the part of Colorado that you want to go to. Plus, there are so many hiking trails with a lot less people than in California. (Crowds are always a dealbreaker for me.) You can also include Mesa Verde NP on your Colorado trip, it’s right on the way.

Last edited by happygrrrl; Yesterday at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel