Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times

Advertisements

So my family and I live in Arizona. We are wanting to take a 1.5 week RV trip. Our choices are starting in LA and heading up the coast, possibly all the way into Oregon. Staying at RV parks close to the ocean, or even setting up shop at the beach for the night.

Other option is driving through the mountains of Colorado. Possibly starting in Durango/Pagosa Springs and heading north to Ouray. Again, stopping along the way.

We have three kids that are very outdoorsy and like to be in nature. Never been to that part of Colorado, and I've been to San Fran when I was younger, so never really explored the coast either. I'd appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 12:39 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
I have not been to Colorado yet although I am the original poster of the adjacent Colorado versus Michigan forum, lol.

I have spent much time in California, however, and I absolutely LOVE the California coast and the Oregon coast. The entire Big Sur section starting from Carmel south to at least Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is just phenomenal, and there are many other gorgeous spots further south (and further north). We also love Cannon Beach and the Oregon coast generally - took our then 3 year old daughter to the Oregon Coast and Columbia River Gorge one summer and it was a blast. Again, I don't know Colorado although it looks spectacular, but I think you and your family would love the CA/OR coast. Enjoy!!

Old 05-25-2021, 05:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Both would be awesome. Though I'd caution you if you are a newbie to RVs that parts of the CA coast roads are very narrow and winding. Tough on the driver and those sitting in the back. Do some research before undertaking that sort of trip.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Time of year?
Colorado is now very crowded and some outdoor areas are restricted due to capacity. (RMNP)

Do a northbound left coast trip.

Sierras / Cascade range northbound.
Coast route southbound. (Better views, much safer for turnouts).

Old 05-25-2021, 06:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Red Mountain Pass (most common way from Durango to Ouray) is not something I would do in an RV, it's not something I really care to do in a car unless truly necessary.

You might want to see if you can even get reservations at campgrounds and then base your trip on that, both areas are beautiful but crowded.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:47 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
All responses are super helpful and appreciated! I'm thinking I like StealthRabbit's suggestion. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
So my family and I live in Arizona. We are wanting to take a 1.5 week RV trip. Our choices are starting in LA and heading up the coast, possibly all the way into Oregon. Staying at RV parks close to the ocean, or even setting up shop at the beach for the night.

Other option is driving through the mountains of Colorado. Possibly starting in Durango/Pagosa Springs and heading north to Ouray. Again, stopping along the way.

We have three kids that are very outdoorsy and like to be in nature. Never been to that part of Colorado, and I've been to San Fran when I was younger, so never really explored the coast either. I'd appreciate any feedback!
We have traveled extensively in both areas and both are great choices. My daughters are 12 and for me I would choose the PCH over Colorado for the fact that while Colorado is beautiful I am not sure the twins are mature enough to really appreciate the beauty and majestic scenery and endure the ride between areas.

I am not going to offer any must see while traveling up the PCH because there is just too much to see and do. A quick Google search of traveling the PCH and you will find an overwhelming amount of material.

I could easily find enough to see and do between LA and SF that you could easily chew up 1.5 weeks between those two points. Below are just a few of the places we have stopped with the point being there is so many captivating areas.

Santa Monica Pier
Beach at Malibu
Santa Barbra Courthouse where you can take an old elevator to the top for a tremendous view.
Big Sur
Carmel for lunch and a walk around
Pebble Beach Toll Road
Monterey Aquarium, and butterfly park
Santa Cruz pier
Hearst Castle
Half Moon Bay
Sequoia NP
Yosemite NP
Point Reyes Lighthouse
Muir Woods
Muir Woods Beach lookout
A walk around SF taking in the pier, China town and a ride on the trolley and then a walk on the Golden Gate Bridge.

There also many beaches and pullouts along the way as well as short hikes down to the ocean.

The PCH is very busy in the summer and you will encounter plenty of RV's.

I think no matter where you go this summer with the cruise industry and international travel at a standstill domestic travel is going to be off the charts as many Americans are going to hit the road this summer to make up for last summers lockdown.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:17 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post

California Coast its not on fire. You get ocean views and mountainous areas are within sight at the same time. Plus chances of rain are lower.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:59 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I'd want more time to do the trip to Oregon, but of course it depends on how much you like driving.

Either trip will be crowded this summer, and I agree with the comment about getting all of your reservations in place before the trip.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:53 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
CA coast...but I would not drive on Big Sur coast with an RV. It's a white knuckle drive - narrow, windy and on the edge of cliffs and going over high bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel