U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 08:12 AM

2,419 posts, read 1,618,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have sold online for years. And have to deal with occasional cancellations and refunds. I am sure VRBO does not need your business. You are exactly the kind of person that hurts the bottom line. You don't follow the rules you agreed with when you signed up. You did a cancellation and now doing a credit card dispute. Now you are on here slamming them.

Good grief.

I have used AIRBNB several times. No problems at all.

Than you have really low standards. I expect a host to respond before 2 weeks, I also expect a reply from my investigation agent when I send all my pics of the terms of service and proof I sent an cancel request properly. After reading all the reviews online, my treatment from VRBO is on par with its reputation.

Its not been 2 weeks and 1 day and not a single message from the host about my cancellation, its still in pending. Of course no refund.

Always pay with credit card folks, no money order or cashier check. Got to have someone back you up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 11:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 3,215,991 times
Geez! Another victim!

I did my own "VRBO Horror Story" thread a few months ago. I've been fighting with them and the owner and the credit card co. since January.

We did not cancel ourselves; the borders closed the day of our flight. We didn't worry though, we had the owner's own written guarantee of a full credit voucher AND VRBO's "Book with Confidence" policy! The owner immediately rebooked the entire stay to another EU traveler.

The owner arbitrarily decided she would not issue the credit voucher guarantee and VRBO says they are not involved at all, despite taking our $4,397. We were not even asking for a refund, just the guaranteed voucher. We wanted to support the owner in these difficult times, but she says she "owes us nothing" by law in Spain. She can just keep all our money and we get nothing in return.

So you are really taking a risk booking with these agents. You THINK you are protected; you BELIEVE their supposed guarantees and protection policies, but in reality---they owe you NOTHING. They have some fine print to divert their false advertising and unfair trade practices.

I even had a TV investigative reporter do a piece on our situation, but nothing came of it. Companies like VRBO are "too big to fail" and could care less about customer service. There isn't any. No one answers the phone; you can never speak to a supervisor, they don't answer emails and hide their email address. Several snail-mail letters have produced nothing.

Check Twitter. Hundreds of #boycottvrbo postings with similar stories.

I have heard Airbnb is doing much better in trying to help canceled guests, unlike VRBO who is abandoning their guests.

If you think you can deal with an unethical overseas owner all by yourself with no protection---go ahead and book. Chances are, you'll be fine, until you aren't, as our resident financial guru likes to say. Not a problem until it is.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 3,215,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Than you have really low standards. I expect a host to respond before 2 weeks, I also expect a reply from my investigation agent when I send all my pics of the terms of service and proof I sent an cancel request properly. After reading all the reviews online, my treatment from VRBO is on par with its reputation.

Its not been 2 weeks and 1 day and not a single message from the host about my cancellation, its still in pending. Of course no refund.

Always pay with credit card folks, no money order or cashier check. Got to have someone back you up.
They will ignore everything you send them and if they reply at all (doubtful) it will be with a canned response having nothing to do with your particular situation. I have spent over $100 just on DHL couriers to their physical address---no response except some automated canned drivel. I had tons of paperwork to back me up.

The very worst customer "service" I have ever experienced in my life. Only Priceline is as bad but at least we are only out $200 from them, not the $4,397 from those scammers at VRBO.

Maybe your credit card is better than mine (likely! avoid Barclay's too) but mine is siding with VRBO. I guess all those big companies stick together---screw the little guy. We are powerless and they know it.

I thought they would be my 3rd line of protection but nope. I will not use them again, either.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:03 PM

4,671 posts, read 2,958,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have used AIRBNB several times. No problems at all.
We've used AirBnb/VRBO a handful of times, and thankfully have not had any bad experiences.

Some friends of ours got scammed on an AirBnb just this past winter. I don't recall all the particulars, but somehow the address they were given was not even an AirBnb rental. I'm not even sure how this is possible, but that's what they told us. The parent company did find them a place to stay, but it was much smaller than what they had rented, and to my knowledge they weren't given any financial compensation.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-28-2021 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-28-2021, 02:19 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,147,443 times
Huh, I am surprised to read so many complaints. We've used VRBO several times and have not had any problems. I sure hope it stays that way.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:28 PM

1,898 posts, read 1,311,759 times
2 - 3 rentals a year, zero issues.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:29 PM

30 posts, read 15,502 times
I try to avoid VRBO because of their outlandish service fees, which are in no way commensurate with whatever services they provide the renter. For me, the only service I get from them is the ability to search listings on their website and pay for the rental (which I don't really need to do through them). Everything else is dictated by the rental contract.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:56 PM

3,916 posts, read 1,443,456 times
I've rented several VRBOs and never had a problem. Deposits returned in a timely manner. Owners of the propertty very cordial (and we had a dog with us). I communicated directly with the owners via the email address associated with the listing.

On one of my first rentals, one of the contact people seemed a little wobbly - I think they were new to the VRBO game - so I just went with another rental.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 PM

3,469 posts, read 8,095,590 times
I've used VRBO or Airbnb (depending on the region) for about 7 years 2-3 times a year and never had an issue. I have had to cancel a couple times, within the stated cancellation window and shift reservations up a week once, always had easy communication with the owner and never an issue. I am very picky about what I rent and do read all the reviews on the property before booking to try to be as informed as possible.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 1,403,864 times
I've used AirBnB a number of times before without issue, but it's pretty obvious looking at the site that at least half the offerings are dodgy and not people I would do business with. There's a reason why they have the star rating, the SUPERHOST designation and the AirBnB Plus status to give you the chance to exclude potential scammers and bad hosts. I don't know VRBO but I imagine it's a similar story there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel