U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 PM

8,240 posts, read 3,235,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Why do you say it's less appealing solo? As a 95% solo traveler by circumstance, not by choice, I prefer group travel so that I have a built-in group of people I can get to know and share the experience with. Have you done any solo travel (only yourself without a travel companion) in a group and had a bad experience with it?
I am glad you find group travel enjoyable. That is good to know. I have been on a couple, structured around birding. Maybe the mistake i made was to have requested a room mate in order to cut cost. Next time I would just pay it.
I might have overstated or mis stated what I meant. Other than birding, which is fine as solo, many in fact come solo as it may not be a shared interest as in my case, travel for pleasure in a group i find disappointing. All the gathering and waiting to board and disboarding the bus, the group dining, it gets tiresome. You knnd of move as a group and really dont absorb the city and the people all that you see. I to do it solo in addition I think It would be a downer.
I may very well be wrong. Please share your experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 06:46 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,268,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am glad you find group travel enjoyable. That is good to know. I have been on a couple, structured around birding. Maybe the mistake i made was to have requested a room mate in order to cut cost. Next time I would just pay it.

I might have overstated or mis stated what I meant. Other than birding, which is fine as solo, many in fact come solo as it may not be a shared interest as in my case, travel for pleasure in a group i find disappointing. All the gathering and waiting to board and disboarding the bus, the group dining, it gets tiresome. You knnd of move as a group and really dont absorb the city and the people all that you see. I to do it solo in addition I think It would be a downer.
This wasn't directed at me but there are all different kinds of group travel. Overseas Adventure Travel has small groups (a dozen or so) so you're not moving as a giant herd. In India we broke up into smaller groups and had dinner with a local family, visited a Muslim family whose daughter was working to help people in the Dalit (untouchable) caste and was dating a Hindu, and in Nepal we were welcomed into a tiny house on the upper floor of a 200-year old building and had a conversation with the people who lived there. They served "beaten rice", which had somehow been beaten flat and roasted. These people are carefully selected beforehand, I'm sure, but they (and the guides) talked frankly about life in their country- the good, the bad and the ugly. I learned a lot!

My first major trip after DH died was Central America on UnCruise. They DO charge a single supplement. It was only 5 months after he died and I wondered how it would be- and it was healing. They get an older, more prosperous group and the couples typically don't hang together 24/7. Expeditions on a particular day can be a climb up a mountain or a tidal pool walk so spouses may select different activities. One spouse might do morning yoga and the other will be at the early breakfast. There happened to be two younger widows on the trip, and on my Hawaii trip there was a group from Women Traveling Together- an agency that organizes women and books trips and arranges roommates if you want one.

I've never wanted a roommate- I'm a bit of an introvert and I like my space.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:48 AM

8,240 posts, read 3,235,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This wasn't directed at me but there are all different kinds of group travel. Overseas Adventure Travel has small groups (a dozen or so) so you're not moving as a giant herd. In India we broke up into smaller groups and had dinner with a local family, visited a Muslim family whose daughter was working to help people in the Dalit (untouchable) caste and was dating a Hindu, and in Nepal we were welcomed into a tiny house on the upper floor of a 200-year old building and had a conversation with the people who lived there. They served "beaten rice", which had somehow been beaten flat and roasted. These people are carefully selected beforehand, I'm sure, but they (and the guides) talked frankly about life in their country- the good, the bad and the ugly. I learned a lot!

My first major trip after DH died was Central America on UnCruise. They DO charge a single supplement. It was only 5 months after he died and I wondered how it would be- and it was healing. They get an older, more prosperous group and the couples typically don't hang together 24/7. Expeditions on a particular day can be a climb up a mountain or a tidal pool walk so spouses may select different activities. One spouse might do morning yoga and the other will be at the early breakfast. There happened to be two younger widows on the trip, and on my Hawaii trip there was a group from Women Traveling Together- an agency that organizes women and books trips and arranges roommates if you want one.

I've never wanted a roommate- I'm a bit of an introvert and I like my space.
Among the group travels i found OAT the best. Still I wish we had done Croatia and the former Yugoslavia on our own, driving the coast, visiting the cities, staying in Air bnb. It was a great trip however and the tour was enjoyable, our guide and driver were the best.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:55 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,268,833 times
Quote:
Among the group travels i found OAT the best. Still I wish we had done Croatia and the former Yugoslavia on our own, driving the coast, visiting the cities, staying in Air bnb. It was a great trip however and the tour was enjoyable, our guide and driver were the best.
I'm scheduled for that in August of next year! DH and I traveled in Croatia on our own years ago and loved it. I'm hoping to leave some of his ashes in Dubrovnik.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:37 PM

2,517 posts, read 1,915,548 times
Quote:
This took place the summer prior to Covid pandemic, I went to eastern Europe solo, my first trip to that part of Europe, but had pre-registered with a guided group tour for the duration of the 10-day trip. Of course my family was extremely worried about me traveling solo to foreign countries - especially as a woman. Nevertheless, it was wonderful! We visited five countries. Our group consisted of approximately 16 people ages 11-late 70s, all were fluent in English in addition to their first language, if applicable. Communication was not a problem at all.

The group included two families with tweens and teens from two different Asian countries, a couple of older married couples from South Africa and USA, a May-December couple where the woman was very obviously = DECEMBER, and about four solo women travelers. Of us solo travelers, 3 were from the US and 1 from New Zealand. One was married but her husband stayed at home to work, two were divorced, and I was single-never married.

Our group included an older retired corporate ex (one of the solo women) and other professionals, a man and his wife with a farming background, a few entrepreneurials, a recent college grad, one or two college students, and one school child (was very quiet and well-mannered), an educator, and a former Stay-at-home-mom whose children were now late teens and young adults.

I'm a budget traveler and paid to share a room. By some stroke of luck, my (female) roommate did not show so I had my own room for the duration of the trip. The entire group went to major stops together and once there, free to explore on our own until the meet up time for dinner or a set time. Some times, I would explore with a solo mate, one of the older couples, or one of the families. Other times, I'd go exploring completely alone and it was fine. None of us solo travelers felt the need to be clingy.

When we returned at the meetup time, we'd all share our experiences. It was wonderful hearing about it from someone else's perspective. There were many self-effacing laughs. Just like in a family, the extroverts manifested and kept us entertained and laughing. Yet the introverts (I was one of them) felt included without the need to become talkative, too. Everyone was accepted on their own terms and personality. We laughed, shared local snacks with each other, and generally looked out for one another no matter which country we were in. If someone hadn't come down for a meal or joined an activity in over a day, someone from the group checked-in on them to make sure they were okay. We had a ball! Maybe I lucked out with this group? I don't know. But based on this experience, I'd definitely do it again when traveling solo.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:49 PM

8,383 posts, read 8,398,304 times
Sorry for your loss. I'm on my third solo trip in Mexico, l very much enjoy my solo trips, not that I'm opposed to group travel, I enjoy that as well. I've stayed in hotels, but, mostly home stays like airbnb. I've also stayed in a hostile or two, more often just to mingle and get the lay of the land and save a few bucks in between my lengthy travel periods of time. I haven't traveled for less than 3 months at a time these past couple of years. Mostly now though, if I stay in a hostel, I'll rent a private room, like where I'm staying in Guadalajara.

I have traveled on a cruise with good friends that went very well, I would be fine with doing it solo. I did once see a site which offered various single travel supplements but, I don't remember name of the site; just do a search with what you are looking as far as discounts and sites will come up. Better yet contact on of the cruise line's travel agents they might can assist you. I've have travel with same friends I went on the cruise with to other places, always fun, I also have traveled with a few people in meetup groups in past years, that too was quite enjoyable. As far as solo, I love it, and now in Guadalajara, headed to Ajijic next week, that will be an apartment stay via airbnb. My plan is to make my way over to Veracruz by September with stops in , Morelia, Mexico City and Puebla along the way.

Whatever happens, happy travels.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:32 PM

5,023 posts, read 3,412,582 times
Be sure to get ideas from others on TripAdvisor.com….they have forums for Europe (by country) and solo travel.

I have done 3-4 solo trips to Europe and loved it. I preferred doing it on my own and by land—not restricted to the rigid itinerary and timetable of a cruise ship….you can do up to 2-3 cities within 2 weeks (no more)—anything else would feel rushed. If you stay at an Airbnb look for one with a washer (you might have to line dry) so you can pack light. Your host might be able to set you up with a tour guide. I hate checking my bags and have gone on numerous 10-14 day trips where I pack what I need in my large athletic bag that fits in the overhead.

London/Paris and/or Amsterdam is a popular itinerary and all interconnected. If Rome remains a priority you could easily do it along with Florence and Milan (by train) within 2 weeks. Good luck.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-15-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old Today, 11:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 463,156 times
Speaking of traveling light, don't be afraid to take nothing for a side trip, I did Ankor Wat as a 5-day side-trip from bangkok. I just left my carry-bag at my hotel in Bangkok for 5 days and jumped on the train to Siem Reap with a little string-pull bag containing just my tablet, a few toiletries, and a couple clothing items. Sox-undies can dry while you sleep after a 5-min hand-wash.

Space-saving tip of the day: Don't carry a bulky tube of toothpaste. Just squeeze a trip's-worth into a pill bottle, and dip your brush in it as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel