U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 03:05 PM

407 posts, read 252,264 times

Advertisements

My wife and I loved to travel and did some international but mostly in the states. She recently passed away and I am looking to do some solo travel adventures. Probably to Europe as this was always a bucket list item for me.

Looking for websites, cruise (river and ocean) companies, that accomodate solo travelers without a huge sticker shock for going it alone. I understand I might have an upcharge but paying for two and only traveling with one I am trying to avoid.

I have tentatively planned a 7 day cruise on Norweigan out of Rome in May 2022 which has solo rooms. Anything similar to that?

I like the idea of cruises since I REALLY dislike packing and unpacking despite the fact that I do get motion sick! :-). But am open to travel to major cities for a week or more tour of the general area (i.e. London, Rome, etc.) where you maintain the same hotel the entire time and just take day tours from that location.

Any suggestions?? Hoping to travel in 2022 and that covid restrictions will be minimal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 03:30 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,301,043 times
Sorry for your loss. For locales like London, Rome, Berlin, Paris, etc all have hotels in the major tourist areas (walkable) along with having good public transportation, making being a tourist, easy. Though I travel with DW, we find staying at a centrally located hotel (often tourist areas) works just fine and will use public transportation to get to farther locations. We will sometimes use one of the many walking tours that are available, most quite fascinating and enjoyable. Solo travelers fit right in. Get out and enjoy!

Old 05-28-2021, 03:34 PM

76,121 posts, read 6,270,043 times
We did a bus tour of Sicily some years ago, there were at least 4 or 5 single travelers, they fit right in. We tended to move every couple of days, which was better than every day. If you pack really light, getting the bags repacked gets easier. I don't know what the single supplement was, but with 4 or 5 of them, I guess it wasn't too bad.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:36 PM

2,799 posts, read 3,788,306 times
European river cruises! I've taken several (including a couple in France, and one on the Danube, starting in Budapest and stopping in Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania), and enjoyed them all immensely. You unpack only once, they're small ships so no hordes of passengers disembarking at each stop along the way, and -- a big deal for me -- no seasickness.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:40 PM

76,121 posts, read 6,270,043 times
But I also think the suggestion of staying in a major city & doing your own tours every day is a good idea. They usually have the hop on hop off buses too. Research your destination before you go & have a loose itinerary.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,072 posts, read 46,740,483 times
Sorry, I do not have a 'solo - source' for discounted rates as single.

For international trips...
I prefer to stay in a small town 'Hub' near, but not IN a major city. (with rail access) and travel from there.

Rent a furnished flat for a month (or 3) and explore, solo.

I plan to send one of my vintage motorcycles to Europe for a solo trip. While in Asia I rent scooters and go FAR!

I too will be arriving in Rome in May 2022 via 'relocation cruise'... providing all works out. I plan to head to Croatia, Greece, and Romania for a couple months.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:31 AM

37,018 posts, read 37,239,261 times
The only country I have been with automatic single/solo hotel room rates is China. But I wouldn't advise a solo traveler to go there alone.

Another country with good transportation which is good for a solo traveler in good health is Israel if one can afford it.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:16 AM

8,774 posts, read 5,120,715 times
If you're interested in companionship or conversation, what Stealth Rabbit said. Find a small community near the urban ones you'd like to visit. They will be more friendly towards older, single travelers. And usually safer.

I avoid all inclusives because they serve couples and families and it's difficult to find a sense of belonging there. The BNBs, apartments or even rented bedrooms are always more economical if you don't need the extra amenities.

There are sites where you can find travel companions if you are interested. Who knows how well this works out? I don't care to try, but they are there.

I've never used them but I do get some flyers for single women tours. Don't know if there is a male equivalent.

Good luck to you. I started traveling alone, though married, about twenty years ago because I wanted to do more traveling than my husband does. It's an adventure and I tip-toed for a while before I got my bearings and dove in head-first.

Know the culture, research the area you'll be occupying and use strict rules for personal safety. I never tell anyone I am traveling alone.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:41 AM

9,234 posts, read 13,330,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
My wife and I loved to travel and did some international but mostly in the states. She recently passed away and I am looking to do some solo travel adventures. Probably to Europe as this was always a bucket list item for me.

Looking for websites, cruise (river and ocean) companies, that accomodate solo travelers without a huge sticker shock for going it alone. I understand I might have an upcharge but paying for two and only traveling with one I am trying to avoid.
First of all, condolences on the loss of your wife.

I would suggest you check out Cruise Critic which has an entire forum dedicated just to solo cruising: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...solo-cruisers/

Moreover, for many years now they have had a thread on that board that is nothing but single-supplement bargains found by other solo travelers and posted to the board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...bargains-here/

Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 AM

4,033 posts, read 2,315,398 times
Sorry for your loss, glad you are able to look ahead.

I don't do cruises for a lot of reasons & the single charges is only one reason. I wil guess however that if you can dance, & you find a trip that has dancing featured, you would find yourself very popular with women of a certain age who are widowed & looking for a chance to hit the ballroom floor again. In fact, if you are a decent dancer, neatly dressed & have an engaging, pleasant personality you might be able to take as many cruises as you can handle as a sort of "guest" of the cruise line in the future who want older women to have a nice time on their trip. There is a severe shortage of senior male dance partners & the cruise lines would accomodate you.

As a single traveler I tend to go mostly to cities & hook up with some activities. Festivals are usually fun. I also have gone to cooking "schools" where you can spend 1-5 days in a group going to farmers markets with a guide & then learning local cuisine in a kitchen with a chef & other travelers & eat nice food, drink nice wine & get to know the others in the group over several good meals.

And day tours of whatever interests you: history, culture, art, cuisine, etc... Usually you can engage with other solo travelers there also. I also like occasionally going to hikng/fitness resorts, where you take it at your own comfort level. There are very few athletes at these places, just those of us needing to get more active, & 80% of the guests are female. Some hikes are into beautiful natural areas as well.

I think for a first solo trip like this if you have a definite schedule of enjoyable activities lined up it will make it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel