U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 04:19 AM

46,551 posts, read 66,802,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So, this is the best way to book an oceanfront room. It is 2021. Every hotel knows exactly which rooms are available at any time and the exact features in every room. But nobody has actually thought to make the expensive and popular oceanfront rooms searcheable?

What you provide as an example, I find to be inneffective. Lets say I find a 1000 room hotel right on the beach with 200 oceanfront rooms. OK, it is an oceanfront hotel. Lets say every one of the 200 oceanfront rooms is booked. Sold out. Just knowing a hotel has oceanfront rooms doesn't tell me anything about the status of those rooms.

Yes, I can call that hotel and ask. If that is what I must do, then that is what I must do.

It is 2021. You would think one or more of the hotel search engines would include ocean views, specifically oceanfront views (which means straight on, unimpeded views of an expanse of beach right directly in front of your balcony), would be a searchable feature today.

I guess not. I guess we are still in our Dark Ages, where you have to pick up a phone and call each and every hotel and ask. Or you have to go to each and every individual hotel website and try to book a room to get the list of rooms so you can see which oceanfront rooms are available.

Man, that is so 1950.

So the answer I am hearing is "No, you cannot get online and search for an oceanfront hotel room today in 2021. You have to do it the old fashioned way and check each individual hotel, one by one, by phone or on line".

Brutal. How ridiculously inefficient.
I understand your dilemma. It's inefficient, yes, but you probably need to do some homework yourself. The map option i suggested has many perks - you can judge the surrounding, the location, the distance to beach, restaurants, entertainments etc.
You can make informed decision about some nuisances like proximity to noise (highways, loud bars, pedestrian strip...)
You can check if the area is nice and desired vs run down and filthy.
If you care.

A plain "Oceanview" search engine might not tell you any of that.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 04:23 AM

46,551 posts, read 66,802,644 times
Here you can search hotels by theme.
Beachfront hotels is a theme:
https://www.hotels.com/page/be-inspired/
Also:
https://www.trivago.com/?themeId=210...oaAl40EALw_wcB

I don't think there is a search engine that not only finds you hotels with ocean view, but also tells you about rooms layout and vacancy of those rooms. To find out exact prices, and availability of particular rooms, you would need to contact the hotels.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 06-04-2021 at 04:38 AM..

Old 06-04-2021, 06:26 AM

1,609 posts, read 582,187 times
I just did a little exercise. I typed in Oceanfront hotels in Honolulu. The first to pop up was Expedia's site and I clicked on The Royal Hawaiian. I've stayed at this hotel so I'm familiar with its rooms. The Expedia site listed rooms according to the views, including Beachfront. Next I clicked on Moana Surfrider, another hotel we've stayed at. Same thing - rooms are listed according to views.

I never book through third party sites but if you want to go that route it's simple enough since the rooms are listed according to their views. I think you have more flexibility when you deal with the hotel itself instead of a third party but that's just me.

I was able to find oceanfront hotels just by searching "oceanfront hotels in _____ ." You don't have to call the hotel. I only do that once I know the room I want and I've booked it because as I said, I'm very particular and I want to make sure I get what I want when I arrive. No surprises. I also tip housekeeping starting on day one. It makes a world of difference.

Last edited by rfomd129; 06-04-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-04-2021, 07:31 AM

16,932 posts, read 7,220,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
That is not bad. It only took 3 clicks to find out it wan't ocean front.

So if that is what I have to do, then that would work for me. It is not efficient, but it is not labor intensive either. Just click "book it" on every single hotel and then chec the view status.

I can do that. I was just checking to see if there was actually an efficient search here in 2021. Guess not.

It would be nice if room type was a search filter, like the airlines let you search only for nonstop flights. But it's a lot easier and faster to click a link a time or two than to call. There is no need to call unless you are near the date or in a super high demand period where the lag between room availability and database updating to the travel sites might make a difference.

I use 3rd party travel sites to get an overview of an area and a quick comparison between hotels. When I narrow it to 2 or 3 hotels, I'll check those hotel sites directly to look for a lower price. I've been in a situation where direct bookings were given higher priority than 3rd party bookings.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:36 AM

1,609 posts, read 582,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It would be nice if room type was a search filter, like the airlines let you search only for nonstop flights. But it's a lot easier and faster to click a link a time or two than to call. There is no need to call unless you are near the date or in a super high demand period where the lag between room availability and database updating to the travel sites might make a difference.

I use 3rd party travel sites to get an overview of an area and a quick comparison between hotels. When I narrow it to 2 or 3 hotels, I'll check those hotel sites directly to look for a lower price. I've been in a situation where direct bookings were given higher priority than 3rd party bookings.

Yes, that's why I book directly and there's not much of a price difference when you're looking at the more expensive rooms, like oceanfront or suites.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 588,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I use Tripadvisor or Booking.com. But I agree, some hotels are very dishonest about what's ocean front and what's not.
Agree...our hotel in puerto Nuevo boasted a “mountain view”. Yea, once you figured out that the mountain view included the valet parking /guest drop off cul de sac. Lol!

Old 06-04-2021, 08:07 AM

5,969 posts, read 4,367,953 times
I go to google maps and expand it until I can see which hotels are actually on the beach versus across the street or a block away. Then I only look for ocean front room on those hotels.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,992 posts, read 46,561,197 times
Seems the 'specific' / defined narrow search for ocean front hotel rooms, went the way of other interests / such as used automobile web search.. pre Y2K I could narrow my search to 'no-rust-belt', one-owner, by-owner, specific models with mileage cap.. the dealers did not like to be excluded in the search, so they bought "autotrader.com" and removed the very features that had made it useful..

Travel industry did much the same with many consolidations. Never to be as useful as before.

SWA did it internally in removing such handy features as "low fare finder" where you could mouse over their entire route map and find and book all the bargains in 5 minutes, That feature was disabled within a month. Too many bargains ?

Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 AM

2,317 posts, read 768,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
It seems you don't realize it's intentional.
It never occured to me that it is intentional. OK, that would make a world of sense. Thanks for helping me to realize it. It never would have occured to me. I thought they were just being lazy.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:06 AM

2,317 posts, read 768,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I understand your dilemma. It's inefficient, yes, but you probably need to do some homework yourself. The map option i suggested has many perks - you can judge the surrounding, the location, the distance to beach, restaurants, entertainments etc.
You can make informed decision about some nuisances like proximity to noise (highways, loud bars, pedestrian strip...)
You can check if the area is nice and desired vs run down and filthy.
If you care.

A plain "Oceanview" search engine might not tell you any of that.

You make a lot of sense and offer good advice. I will be taking your advice. For that culling process, all of your advice is valuable and I plan to use it, just as I plan to look at reviews too.

I have gotten some great advice on this thread for the culling process, deciding between rooms/hotels. I appreciate all the good advice I have gotten on this thread.

I have never tried to book an oceanfront hotel room in advance before.

I am going to take a step back and just treat the "search" as a hobby itself. That is my new approach. Have fun with the search.

Thank you everybody for the help. This is why I love City Data. In the old days, I would think I was missing something available out there. It is nice having a place where I can quickly get the real scoop. You guys wasted no time in helping me. Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel