U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 AM

2,317 posts, read 768,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It would be nice if room type was a search filter, like the airlines let you search only for nonstop flights. But it's a lot easier and faster to click a link a time or two than to call. There is no need to call unless you are near the date or in a super high demand period where the lag between room availability and database updating to the travel sites might make a difference.

I use 3rd party travel sites to get an overview of an area and a quick comparison between hotels. When I narrow it to 2 or 3 hotels, I'll check those hotel sites directly to look for a lower price. I've been in a situation where direct bookings were given higher priority than 3rd party bookings.
That is interesting to know. Thank you for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seems the 'specific' / defined narrow search for ocean front hotel rooms, went the way of other interests / such as used automobile web search.. pre Y2K I could narrow my search to 'no-rust-belt', one-owner, by-owner, specific models with mileage cap.. the dealers did not like to be excluded in the search, so they bought "autotrader.com" and removed the very features that had made it useful..

Travel industry did much the same with many consolidations. Never to be as useful as before.

SWA did it internally in removing such handy features as "low fare finder" where you could mouse over their entire route map and find and book all the bargains in 5 minutes, That feature was disabled within a month. Too many bargains ?
That is such a shame but it makes a lot of sense. Thank you for confirming it is intentional. I can deal with that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I mean, I was hoping there were easy searches like their used to be, but what you said here makes perfect sense. They made it too easy on us and then got a little greedy.

It is what it is, so thank you. I can deal with that.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 AM

13,139 posts, read 10,832,837 times
If views are important, always verify the reality of the hotel's location and views on Youtube.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,986 posts, read 46,561,197 times
The objective of each property is to book ALL their rooms.. thus the rub. Just like USA politics... Those with the most media exposure win. (Show the few nice rooms, and book the rest on those images) Spouse always exclaims when we go view a real estate property... "Where did they take the pictures that looked so enticing?". Not here!

Old 06-04-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If views are important, always verify the reality of the hotel's location and views on Youtube.
I am just getting great advice on this thread.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:35 AM

2,650 posts, read 1,460,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
See, here is my problem.

I don't go to a particular hotels website. If I am looking to stay on Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach or Miami Beach, I don't know what hotels are on the strip. So I am not searching for Marriott Myrtle Beach or something.

I am using hotel search engines. They bring up a long list of different hotels, but the list includes ALL rooms. I am trying to get a listing of just oceanfront room. Or at least if I see a list of all hotels, I want to be able to them by which have oceanfront rooms available.

You can't do that. I am trying to find a way without having to go into each individual hotel website and then step down though the process until I finally see the rooms themselves. Only then do they tell you if they are oceanfront or not.

I am looking for a more efficient search. That is why I am asking for help -- to see if anybody else has found a more efficient search.
Well it is far easier to pop up google maps and type in hotels Myrtle Beach then view the locations, jot them down, then go to their websites than using any hotel booking sites and look for ocean front rooms. Some hotels are also all ocean front which is nice so if you call to book you can ask for an upper level floor. Using google maps also helps in determining if the hotel is in a good or bad area. You can even use Google earth for a closer look.

ETA: This is how I did it when booking hotels in Europe. I would look for hotels near where I wanted to be then went to their websites for price. I didn't want expensive but I didn't want a dive either. I also used review websites to see what the reviews were.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:53 AM

6,926 posts, read 3,149,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am just getting great advice on this thread.
Yes, it makes sense that the hotels want to book ALL the rooms, so don't make it easy to find the best rooms first. I have never been 100% sure that I'd have the view I wanted as the photos are never that revealing.

One place we stayed, the owner went up on the roof to take a picture of the ocean and called it an "oceanfront view". Nope. All we saw was a row of garages and a TINY sliver of ocean between the buildings. I wanted to give them a scathing review but they still had my deposit so I never got around to it after the refund.

One more piece of advice: I know you're not considering other than a hotel this time, but if you ever veer over towards vacation rentals, avoid VRBO. We are out over $4,000 for a Covid cancelation they refuse to refund us for. You are on your own with overseas vacation rental owners with no recourse or help if they choose to rip you off.

I'll never use 3rd parties again either. Worked just fine until it didn't. Now, I'd use their sites to FIND the hotel or flight, but then contact the hotel directly to book. Painful and costly lesson. Can't believe I'm still fighting with Priceline for a measly $200 airline- cancelled flight they refuse to refund on. Despite that being the LAW.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, it makes sense that the hotels want to book ALL the rooms, so don't make it easy to find the best rooms first. I have never been 100% sure that I'd have the view I wanted as the photos are never that revealing.

One place we stayed, the owner went up on the roof to take a picture of the ocean and called it an "oceanfront view". Nope. All we saw was a row of garages and a TINY sliver of ocean between the buildings. I wanted to give them a scathing review but they still had my deposit so I never got around to it after the refund.

One more piece of advice: I know you're not considering other than a hotel this time, but if you ever veer over towards vacation rentals, avoid VRBO. We are out over $4,000 for a Covid cancelation they refuse to refund us for. You are on your own with overseas vacation rental owners with no recourse or help if they choose to rip you off.

I'll never use 3rd parties again either. Worked just fine until it didn't. Now, I'd use their sites to FIND the hotel or flight, but then contact the hotel directly to book. Painful and costly lesson. Can't believe I'm still fighting with Priceline for a measly $200 airline- cancelled flight they refuse to refund on. Despite that being the LAW.

I am averse to both VRBO and Airb&b. I stick with the professionals. My perception is that it costs more but is more professional with less potential for hassle/disaster factor. I don't even use Uber/Lyft. I still stick to taxi cabs.

Yep, I am an old curmudgeon.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:23 PM

2,286 posts, read 3,208,221 times
I think it also depends on your search engine. If you use the Expedia family (Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaptickets), I know they have 'ocean view' as their filter and it does bring up ocean view and ocean front rooms (along with city view / garden view rooms, unfortunately). As someone pointed out above, they need to sell the city view rooms too.

But I agree with what the others said about booking directly with the hotel. I use the search engines for shopping around but once I find the hotel, I go to their website directly and book direct from them. Often it's cheaper and they give you extra perks sometimes (complimentary early or late check in, ask for double bed instead of 1 bed, for example). Obviously it also depends on availability.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 11,294 times
Not exactly what you are looking for, but in Tripadvisor, there is a category under ”Popular” called ”Beachfront”. That would reduce the number of properties to look at in that location and then you could just choose 2 or 3 that look best to you and either look on their website or call the hotel directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel