U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 05:34 PM

2,024 posts, read 966,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Oceanfront is what you want.
Sounds right, but it rarely works out when you search for it.
After the first few times that my wife and I vacationed in S.W. Florida, always in rented pool homes, she said, “All those places in Florida were great Jean, but I’d really like to see what we can get in Punta Gorda for next September or October.”
So I Googled ‘Pool homes for vacation rental in Punta Gorda FL only.’
I was offered Padre Island TX, Scottsdale AZ, even Green Lake WI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 08:18 PM

63 posts, read 17,021 times
https://www.marriott.com/reservation...ltTab=standard

Not the difference between “ocean front” vs “ocean view” rooms.

Make sure your room rate is for “ocean front room”. This is the only guarantee - when you charged for this type of room.

If the hotel doesn’t specify the room rate as an oceanfront- even if the hotel is oceanfront- you will be at the mercy of whoever checks you in and a bit of luck that the oceanfront room still available and unoccupied.

Usually the hotel reserves their best rooms for frequent travelers of that hotel chain or repeat guests as a perk
Booking a suite in an ocean front hotel pretty much guaranteed ocean front view.

Try booking a suite or a villa
https://escarpa-madeira.com/room/sup...ty-pool-villa/

Or you can use some visuals
https://depositphotos.com/328715428/...ern-hotel.html

https://www.atlantis.com/dubai/atlan...tays/penthouse

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-04-2021 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 11:05 PM

7,492 posts, read 8,339,301 times
OP sounds to me like you're somewhat agnostic to region/destination and so you're hoping to prioritize value for oceanfront rooms. Like, if you could just see results for oceanfront rooms across the country and then zero in on the lowest prices or best values, as opposed to choosing a destination and then zeroing in on the type of property/room you want. If that's the case, to me it sounds pretty cool and possibly a gap in the market. I like it.

Unfortunately, given what travel search tools are available, I think you'll need to choose a handful of possible destinations and then work through them. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2021, 03:59 PM

8,383 posts, read 8,380,191 times
If an ocean view is what I seek, I simply use Booking . com where you can check the boxes for specifics you wish to include. If you are leary about an area, just click on their listed address and highlight it and hit search, once on the search page you can see a street view of the location. But often you don't have to do all that. The ocean view will generally be listed as beachfront, but they likely have ocean view in the listing if that's what you want.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 PM

509 posts, read 114,553 times
The reason why you can't search for it on Expedia etc is because the room assignment is still up to the hotel, and oceanfront is not a separate price category from oceanview. In small hotels, you can reserve for a specific room if you deal directly with the manager. In that case you will know exactly which room you will get when you arrive.

In bigger hotels there are cancellations, no shows or people extending their stay. Your room is only guaranteed for category. Some hotels will not release their best rooms to whoever. If they don't know you and you booked online, they'll just give you the oceanview, still your price category, while leaving the oceanfront room vacant, in case a VIP arrives.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

2,317 posts, read 768,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
The reason why you can't search for it on Expedia etc is because the room assignment is still up to the hotel, and oceanfront is not a separate price category from oceanview. In small hotels, you can reserve for a specific room if you deal directly with the manager. In that case you will know exactly which room you will get when you arrive.

In bigger hotels there are cancellations, no shows or people extending their stay. Your room is only guaranteed for category. Some hotels will not release their best rooms to whoever. If they don't know you and you booked online, they'll just give you the oceanview, still your price category, while leaving the oceanfront room vacant, in case a VIP arrives.
Well that is a fine how-do-you-do. Thanks for the inside info. All this time, I thought it was a straight forward, first come first served. Others also said they give their best rooms to best repeat customers.

It is what it is. My world doesn't depend on getting an oceanfront room, but thanks.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

509 posts, read 114,553 times
It never hurts to ask, though, at check-in. If you don't like what they give you, just ask, especially if you're already paying the top tier rate. There were times when I didn't like what was given to me, the desk clerk went to the manager and a better room was released to me.

And then some of it is just luck, if an oceanfront room happens to be available when you arrive.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 10,832,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Well that is a fine how-do-you-do. Thanks for the inside info. All this time, I thought it was a straight forward, first come first served. Others also said they give their best rooms to best repeat customers.

It is what it is. My world doesn't depend on getting an oceanfront room, but thanks.
You can still book directly with the hotel and the site will clearly indicate the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel