U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:16 AM

2,711 posts, read 1,232,589 times

Advertisements

Go somewhere; coffee shop, restaurant, etc. Look around. Do you know any of the other people you see? Do you care if they are alone or on a group? Will you remember them the next day? They aren't going to give you a second thought. They aren't going to be telling their friends that they saw an individual dining alone or at a movie alone or at a football game alone. They aren't going to look at it as the freakiest thing ever. They don't care about you. You are like the hum of a refrigerator ~ there but not important.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 01:20 PM

19,171 posts, read 11,548,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Sometimes I enjoy going to places or events by myself, but I am self-conscious about it (especially if I am, say , eating alone at a restaurant). I see other people with their friends and feel like I should be hanging out with someone rather than going to so many places alone. I would like to do some traveling but I am kinda afraid to go to a different city alone. What if I get lost or have trouble making it back to my hotel? Also it is expensive to travel alone but anyway that's not the point of this post. I want to learn to rely on me and only me for a good time
Good for you!
You have your work cut out for you. It's not easy, learning to be comfortable alone, but it can be done.
All you can do is throw yourself into the fray little at a time and work at it steadily until it becomes natural.
Take baby steps. Try this, then that, then a little more. Don't give in to the feeling that people are watching you, and the next thing you know you'll be slinging your back pack over your shoulder and boarding AmTrak with a regional pass to anywhere you like!

I'm retired now, but traveled alone constantly when I worked. If you feel like conversation, eat at the bar and sit on the corner. That way you'll (almost) have a dinner companion.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:01 PM

352 posts, read 189,071 times
You've got some great advice here OP and I'm only chiming in to add that I've travelled alone extensively and couldn't give a rat's behind if people are looking at me (they're not).

Being alone gives you a tremendous amount of freedom to go where you want, eat where you want and do what you want without having to consult with someone else. Another tip I would pass on is when you've decided on a hotel for example, use Google Street View to virtually explore the area and identify "land marks" which can be helpful in case you get lost. There are also lots of free map apps you can download to your phone which have GPS.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:17 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,474,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
There is a wealth of information online about how to comfortably eat in a restaurant alone, and how to safely travel alone. I Googled "eat in a restaurant alone" and found lots of helpful stuff, for example: https://indianajo.com/tips-for-eating-out-alone.html

And for solo travel, there are entire websites devoted to the subject, for example: https://solotravelerworld.com/travel-alone-tips/

The key to traveling alone, and dining in a restaurant alone, is do a lot of research before you go. That will increase your safety and comfort level a lot.
Thank you !

Old 06-03-2021, 03:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,474,763 times
Thanks for all the great tips,y'all !

Old 06-03-2021, 03:59 PM

18,403 posts, read 23,893,182 times
I go out to eat and drink by myself quite a bit. Totally fine

Old 06-03-2021, 04:31 PM

1,600 posts, read 577,562 times
E-twist pretty much took the words out of my mouth but I'll be a bit more blunt - you're not as important to other people as you think you are : ) It's really true - nobody cares about other random people. No one is fixating on you. Everyone has their own thoughts and their own problems.

Don't waste your time thinking about people who aren't spending any time thinking about you. That's a good thing.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:51 PM

936 posts, read 872,897 times
I have traveled a fair amount by myself. I enjoy eating alone in good restaurants, I can focus on the food and wine and not conversation with others. I like shopping and sightseeing alone, I get to do what I want on my own schedule, no one else to think about. Main thing is to stay safe and be aware of your surroundings, don't be a target. Most bad stuff happens to people who are out at crazy hours and have had too much to drink. Plan ahead and know how you will get back to your hotel if you're out somewhere late.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:53 PM

124 posts, read 25,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I used to travel for work quite a bit, sometimes stuck in one place for several days or even weeks, and that means I was often eating alone in restaurants or wandering around unknown cities, visiting places by myself, sleeping in hotels, or being alone on airplanes or rented cars.
In my teens and 20s I used to be very self conscious about things like going out to dinner alone. I associated that with looking like a looser - not a healthy mindset but it is what I had at that time.

Then I got a really good job that required me to sometimes travel alone, all expenses paid. I started to associate travelling alone and dining out alone with the positive vibes and ego boost of that job, which made it easy to rid myself of that self consciousness.

I don't travel much for my current job, but thankfully the loss of self-conscious from my previous job has stuck, so I'm perfectly happy treating myself if I feel like it.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:38 PM

11,958 posts, read 7,979,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Sometimes I enjoy going to places or events by myself, but I am self-conscious about it (especially if I am, say , eating alone at a restaurant). I see other people with their friends and feel like I should be hanging out with someone rather than going to so many places alone.
Because of your previous posts and some bitterness about friends not keeping in touch, I have to ask if you have a pang of envy when you see "other people with their friends".

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I travel by myself a lot but there have been a few times when I felt lonely because I was there solo. Seeing friends waiting to get into a restaurant for Sunday brunch, for example. It reminded me that no one has ever invited me out for brunch and I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel