U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:08 PM

8,232 posts, read 5,814,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I was the same way about travel solo. Then I found this company: https://www.gadventures.com/. You can meet other people in your group. I haven't traveled with this one but they are competitors. https://www.intrepidtravel.com/us
So you went on some trips with the first company? Did you go as a single? Did you like it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 04:23 PM

6,770 posts, read 4,398,716 times
For 18 years I was a commercial traveler. Ate out alone about 13 times a week. Never was a problem. If someone has a problem with that, they should learn to mind their own business.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 608,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
To build up your comfort level, you might start small, like going to a movie in your own town. In line, no one will know whether you're alone or meeting someone inside, no one will see you in the dark, and a lot of people actually prefer to go to movies alone (I'm one of them) because they can sit where they want, change seats if they like, and don't have to hear comments from another person when they want to concentrate on the film.

When you go to a restaurant alone, bring a book or newspaper, or a notepad and pen--the illusion that you're busy will help with your self-consciousness. Start with lunch, not dinner, don't go fancy, and go during the week because a lot of people eat by themselves on their lunch break so you won't stick out so much.

And you could start your solo travel by just going to someplace not too far away, but somewhere you haven't been before, and just stay overnight. The basics will be the same anywhere you go, but you won't have to pack a lot or navigate a foreign language, and knowing that you can just get in your car (or on a bus, whatever) and go back home any time you want to will make you feel less vulnerable. Then the next time, do a bigger city that's farther away, for a few nights, and so on.

Once you get over being self-conscious, I predict you will love the freedom of going solo.
I actually used to enjoy going to very fancy restaurants alone when I was traveling. Maybe I am strange, but instead of feeling negatively self-conscious, I either didn’t think about others at all or assumed that, if they were thinking of me, they were thinking something like: “Hmm.., she must be pretty well off financially to be able to eat some random meal (I.e. not a special occasion or business dinner) at some place like this.” So, as I have just shown, you can make up any story in your head to make yourself feel great!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:44 AM

11,088 posts, read 6,077,005 times
There are a few options...
- cell phones can be a companion at your table. No one pays attention anymore to people browsing while eating
- ask for a table or booth against the wall — sit facing away or toward the wall
- pretend you are a restaurant reviewer or food critic - study the menu, order a glass of wine
- in Europe you might be able to sit with a stranger and share a table— you might meet someone cool
- on Amtrak the dining car rule is open seating so you will be seated at a table with another passenger.
- always say “yes” to dining invitations

I have been mistaken for a Hollywood actor on a couple occasions and once very adamantly. I don’t know why a famous actor would be sitting alone in an IHOP eating a senior breakfast but people don’t consider the context. Usually, no one pays attention.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:34 AM

3,478 posts, read 3,642,690 times
Hi OP,

I largely travel solo and I love it.

You have so much freedom - the freedom to choose where to go and when. The freedom to change plans. The freedom to do a whole lot of stuff or nothing at all.

Dare I say I much prefer solo travel now? I have been on a few small group trips in my life and they were 90%+ all fun as well. But these days it seems nothing beats solo travel for me. Now, I'm probably a bit stuck in my ways now when it comes to traveling so in that aspect I may be a tad selfish when it comes to planning, and I'm extremely introverted and a loner in many aspects so it works for me, but I totally understand how it could be strange and/or boring and/or scary and/or [insert whatever adjective] to others.

With that said, you've gotten some really great advice throughout this thread. Start small, then venture out more. Where do you have in mind for traveling solo to? Are you talking another city in your state or another country?

I do solo meals in my city and solo trips half way around the world, and I am now usually comfortable doing both as well as a plethora of other things in between.

As others have mentioned, people are not paying attention to you dining alone. The funny thing about traveling alone is you will sometimes get approached by others who want to chat you up. I recall going to Miami one year and I ate out every day; I can't recall a day that went by that someone did not strike up a conversation with me; I don't know if I looked super lonely or unusually approachable on that trip or what, but I literally ended up going to dinner one night and ended up in a lounge after dinner with a couple who sat next to me. I also was requested by a mother/daughter duo to 'push our tables together' to brunch together one day lol. Trust that on some trips you may even wish a bit you were more invisible to others, ha

When it comes to traveling solo, a shorter and/or closer trip may be easier for you to start with. I like to jump all in with things, so I started solo travel with trips abroad to Europe. I have tons of tips I could share if you get to that point where you decide you want to travel a bit further away. Regarding concerns of getting lost, it can happen. It helps to write your accommodation details down on a small card that goes in your pocket in case your phone is lost. I also give an itinerary to people before I leave so they know where I'm staying.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:13 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,486,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Hi OP,

I largely travel solo and I love it.

You have so much freedom - the freedom to choose where to go and when. The freedom to change plans. The freedom to do a whole lot of stuff or nothing at all.

Dare I say I much prefer solo travel now? I have been on a few small group trips in my life and they were 90%+ all fun as well. But these days it seems nothing beats solo travel for me. Now, I'm probably a bit stuck in my ways now when it comes to traveling so in that aspect I may be a tad selfish when it comes to planning, and I'm extremely introverted and a loner in many aspects so it works for me, but I totally understand how it could be strange and/or boring and/or scary and/or [insert whatever adjective] to others.

With that said, you've gotten some really great advice throughout this thread. Start small, then venture out more. Where do you have in mind for traveling solo to? Are you talking another city in your state or another country?

I do solo meals in my city and solo trips half way around the world, and I am now usually comfortable doing both as well as a plethora of other things in between.

As others have mentioned, people are not paying attention to you dining alone. The funny thing about traveling alone is you will sometimes get approached by others who want to chat you up. I recall going to Miami one year and I ate out every day; I can't recall a day that went by that someone did not strike up a conversation with me; I don't know if I looked super lonely or unusually approachable on that trip or what, but I literally ended up going to dinner one night and ended up in a lounge after dinner with a couple who sat next to me. I also was requested by a mother/daughter duo to 'push our tables together' to brunch together one day lol. Trust that on some trips you may even wish a bit you were more invisible to others, ha

When it comes to traveling solo, a shorter and/or closer trip may be easier for you to start with. I like to jump all in with things, so I started solo travel with trips abroad to Europe. I have tons of tips I could share if you get to that point where you decide you want to travel a bit further away. Regarding concerns of getting lost, it can happen. It helps to write your accommodation details down on a small card that goes in your pocket in case your phone is lost. I also give an itinerary to people before I leave so they know where I'm staying.

I want to go to Seattle, Portland Oregon, Denver, Madison , Wisconsin, Los Angeles ...several other places in the US . Eventually I would like to go overseas to the UK, Switzerland , Germany maybe

Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM

535 posts, read 169,648 times
I've done solo trips several times since my divorce because it was either that or stay home doing nothing. Results were mixed. Best experience I had was a singles cruise. I also went to Argentina alone to meet a woman. We had no chemistry, but a good time as friends and she showed me around. The worst was going to Europe alone. I didn't do nearly as much as I would have with someone because I felt self conscious and a bit sad. Another bad trip was going to Mexico alone and ending up in a couples resort. Should have done Club Med instead. Lesson learned there. SO a bit of a mixed experience for me and I generally don't enjoy traveling alone because I prefer shared experiences and also am a bit self conscious I guess.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:52 PM

12,653 posts, read 11,543,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Sometimes I enjoy going to places or events by myself, but I am self-conscious about it (especially if I am, say , eating alone at a restaurant). I see other people with their friends and feel like I should be hanging out with someone rather than going to so many places alone. I would like to do some traveling but I am kinda afraid to go to a different city alone. What if I get lost or have trouble making it back to my hotel? Also it is expensive to travel alone but anyway that's not the point of this post. I want to learn to rely on me and only me for a good time
Are you a woman afraid of being assaulted, or what?

Start in your own city - or if you live in a small town, in the nearest city. Pick a great restaurant, or an interesting event, and go. You can start with something like a movie or museum, where people often go alone. When you're dining out, bring something to read, so you don't feel awkward. Or if you're in a big city, go to some tiny little interesting town.

If you travel abroad, start with some place they speak English. So what if you get lost? That's a normal part of travel. Buy some guidebooks and get a couple of maps - not just your cell phone - and you'll be fine. In fact, you'll feel wonderfully independent.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 2,307,088 times
The hardest part of traveling solo is buying that first ticket. You could make your first trip a long weekend somewhere where there is a festival or some event going on that appeals to you in addition to the typical sights. You can take meals at better restaurants at the bar, at casual places there will be other solo diners.

Eating at the bar allows you to chat with the bartender or someone else at the bar too. Traveling solo means that one of the things to experiment with is approaching other people in appropriate situations & talking to them: stay at a hostel/BnB with other solos where meals may be at communal tables, take walking tours given by locals/experts, research pubs/events that may have expats attending when abroad, take a course such as cooking local cuisine for a day/several days, take a multiday trek/bike tour/road-tour of some specific interest that would appeal to single travelers: cultural/historical/etc... All these are opportunities to meet with & chat with other solo travelers & possibly make arrangements to do something else.

As far as getting lost, that is something I plan to do most days that I'm in a new city, just wander around neighborhoods away from the tourist areas I hit the first couple of days. Also once you learn to use Google Maps on your phone you won't really be "lost", just wandering.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:32 PM

12,653 posts, read 11,543,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The hardest part of traveling solo is buying that first ticket. You could make your first trip a long weekend somewhere where there is a festival or some event going on that appeals to you in addition to the typical sights. You can take meals at better restaurants at the bar, at casual places there will be other solo diners.

Eating at the bar allows you to chat with the bartender or someone else at the bar too. Traveling solo means that one of the things to experiment with is approaching other people in appropriate situations & talking to them: stay at a hostel/BnB with other solos where meals may be at communal tables, take walking tours given by locals/experts, research pubs/events that may have expats attending when abroad, take a course such as cooking local cuisine for a day/several days, take a multiday trek/bike tour/road-tour of some specific interest that would appeal to single travelers: cultural/historical/etc... All these are opportunities to meet with & chat with other solo travelers & possibly make arrangements to do something else.

As far as getting lost, that is something I plan to do most days that I'm in a new city, just wander around neighborhoods away from the tourist areas I hit the first couple of days. Also once you learn to use Google Maps on your phone you won't really be "lost", just wandering.
I disagree. I think the hardest part is the first time you enter a crowded venue by yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel