U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 09:58 PM

14,084 posts, read 22,827,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Sometimes I enjoy going to places or events by myself, but I am self-conscious about it (especially if I am, say , eating alone at a restaurant). I see other people with their friends and feel like I should be hanging out with someone rather than going to so many places alone. I would like to do some traveling but I am kinda afraid to go to a different city alone. What if I get lost or have trouble making it back to my hotel? Also it is expensive to travel alone but anyway that's not the point of this post. I want to learn to rely on me and only me for a good time
I’ve been led to believe that people who eat alone tip better. So wait staff love us.

Trying to cook for one, trying to do it in the midst of grief, it’s just awful. I started eating out usually lunch a few times a week. For dinner I’d open up a salad box toss it in a bowl, add some cheese, some tomatoes, a few other things and I was done.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:28 PM

3,944 posts, read 7,123,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I've done solo trips several times since my divorce because it was either that or stay home doing nothing. Results were mixed. Best experience I had was a singles cruise. I also went to Argentina alone to meet a woman. We had no chemistry, but a good time as friends and she showed me around. The worst was going to Europe alone. I didn't do nearly as much as I would have with someone because I felt self conscious and a bit sad. Another bad trip was going to Mexico alone and ending up in a couples resort. Should have done Club Med instead. Lesson learned there. SO a bit of a mixed experience for me and I generally don't enjoy traveling alone because I prefer shared experiences and also am a bit self conscious I guess.
My first solo trip ever was a cruise, that was great, actually. Very easy to meet people, they sat me with about 5 other solo males so I ended up having people to hang with that week, which was nice.

Since, I've been on several solo trips and have had a great time on all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 11:27 AM

2,836 posts, read 1,166,110 times
The problem I have when I eat alone is that I eat too quickly. Even if I consciously try to slow down to savor the food, without conversation to slow the mouthfuls, dinner can go by rather fast.

To force a slowdown, I bring a book. I have to put my fork down to turn the pages. Automatic pacing.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 608,005 times
About feeling self-conscious, a very good friend once gave me this seemingly brutal, but actually very freeing piece of advice (when I was obsessing over something similar): “No one cares about you. No one thinks about you. Everyone has their own problems. That is what they are thinking about.”

Old 06-19-2021, 12:13 AM

19,492 posts, read 5,617,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The only one who can teach you that is yourself. And you learn it by doing.

Rudyard Kipling wrote in a poem called The Winners:

"He travels the fastest who travels alone."

Think about it.
I had my own bathroom growing up.

When I was pretty little, my mother put a framed copy of Kipling's poem 'If' up on the wall.

It stayed there throughout my childhood.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

535 posts, read 169,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
My first solo trip ever was a cruise, that was great, actually. Very easy to meet people, they sat me with about 5 other solo males so I ended up having people to hang with that week, which was nice.

Since, I've been on several solo trips and have had a great time on all.
A cruise or going to visit friends in another state are the only solo trips I would ever do again. I now have someone to travel with if it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel