U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 04:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 2,007,204 times

Advertisements

Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park, CA. A friend and I went there once a couple summers ago, arriving at like 6 pm, and we barely even saw any other cars.

West Virginia state capitol building/museum in Charleston a month ago, I was the only non-employee inside.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:14 PM

2,032 posts, read 970,566 times
Maybe it isn’t considered as a big deal, so I shouldn’t have been surprised that it was virtually empty, but when my wife and I were in Richmond VA, after seeing the Confederate White House, we went to Hollywood Cemetery.
I was standing near my rental car, which had Missouri plates, looking at some tombstones, when a woman walked past and said, “Y’all from the Show Me State too? Got someone buried here?”
I said, “I doubt it, my ancestors were all kicked out by 1783.”

Old 06-07-2021, 07:18 PM

409 posts, read 185,615 times
It really depends on the time of year and weather, but the National Mall can empty out on a rainy winter day. However, it's a whole other story in the summer.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:26 PM

2,564 posts, read 8,505,591 times
Any cruise ship port on days when no ships are docked.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:32 PM

14,668 posts, read 9,542,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most national parks at daybreak. (Grand Canyon sunrise excepted)
Or in the evening. We went to Glacier a few Summer's ago and almost always got to the park after 3. There were evenings where it felt we had the entire park to ourselves. Everyone leaves to go eat dinner, but we'd still have 7-8 hours in the park. And we'd always find a great place to watch the sunset without anyone else around. There's a reason why their ticketed system this year only applies to those going into the park between 6am and 5pm.

We went to Arches and Canyonland in December, and were sometimes the only car parked in the trailhead parking lots. The weather was perfect at 50-60 degrees during the day. Being in the teens at night was a little rough when star gazing, but it was worth not dealing with crowds during the day.

The Badlands last June during the pandemic was also pretty light on tourists. As was Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:11 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,302,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I have been to Venice twice, once in early January and the second visit was October. There was almost no one around in January whereas October was a mob scene at any of the main attractions. Time of year and time of day makes a huge difference.
I always go to Europe off-season, never in summer. When I was regularly visiting SE Asia I gradually discovered that the "rainy season" (typically 1 hr/day) was best because tourists are frightened by the season's name & places are uncrowded & cheaper. I only got caught by one monsoon that lasted a day & a half (& watching that extraordinary downpour & catching some movies & room service that day wasn't bad at all).

Old 06-09-2021, 09:21 AM

229 posts, read 87,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Any cruise ship port on days when no ships are docked.
Flew into Juneau then took the ferry to Sitka and Ketchikan spending 3 days in each before heading back to Bellingham. We saw cruise ships come and go in each and it was amazing to see the difference. It was almost as if the entire community breathed a sigh of relief after extracting as much money as possible from the cruisers. The nice thing is that the infrastructure built to accommodate the cruise lines, from pubs and restaurants to tour operations is actually very nice - especially when cruise ships aren't in port. We zip-lined in Juneau, whale watched in Sitka, and kayaked in Ketchikan and the prices were great. Also had time to do some great hikes including a long walk to the Mendenhall glacier ice caves.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM

11,803 posts, read 15,589,703 times
Surprisingly I had the Pyramids of Egypt all to myself ... but it was during COVID so that's probably why.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 355 times
I was in Athens, March 2021, just one week before Europe went into lockdown. There were still tourists, but you could comfortably take pictures of all the main sights without people in them.
Then once you started to visit the 'lesser known' attractions, suddenly you were on your own. Mesmerizing travel experience.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:30 PM

4,242 posts, read 4,114,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park, CA. A friend and I went there once a couple summers ago, arriving at like 6 pm, and we barely even saw any other cars.

West Virginia state capitol building/museum in Charleston a month ago, I was the only non-employee inside.
Same here, was a December 10 years ago at Sequoia, not many people at all, which was ideal as I proposed to my wife at General Sherman and no one else there. Redwood National Park, we drove past it and never knew until talking to a ranger at place in Orick. I’ve lived in AK and CO and I think Redwoods and Sequoia’s are best thing I’ve ever seen in nature, you cannot describe them until you see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel