U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 PM

2,226 posts, read 989,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) the flight and airport will likely be the safest part of your trip.

Covid is not going away, especially in the USA.

If I need to wear a mask for the next 40 yrs of my frequent flying, it is of little concern to me. It's the least I can do for others more vulnerable or concerned than I.

Viral aerosol spread and contagion is not tough to understand or mitigate.
I would think that when restrictions in general ease, people may accept the need to wear a mask in some specific situations such as airports.

We have a mask mandate here in airports and in planes and for most of us it is the only time we need to wear a mask. (Unless you have the misfortune to live in Melbourne) So generally people are cooperative and don the mask for the flight without being nagged.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 10:32 PM

5,817 posts, read 7,412,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Flight attendants should have the right to arrest and use zip ties.
How many flight attendants have you seen that could subdue and zip tie anyone? Heck, how many pilots?

Not much to worry about. Headlines always hype this stuff up. How many times does this happen versus the amounts of flights? A small fraction. I would wager unruly passengers are no worse now than before the pandemic.

I have been flying. Not a single issue with passengers.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:02 PM

1,180 posts, read 509,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How many flight attendants have you seen that could subdue and zip tie anyone? Heck, how many pilots?

Not much to worry about. Headlines always hype this stuff up. How many times does this happen versus the amounts of flights? A small fraction. I would wager unruly passengers are no worse now than before the pandemic.

Do you really think that flight attendant couldn't get some help from passengers in subduing any jerk who thinks they have "freedumbs" that the airline doesn't grant? There would be dozens of people immediately ready to aid a flight attendant, and there are usually several on board anyway.
Jerks need to be taught to respect. If the airline says you must sing some silly song to fly their flights, then that is what you must do to fly. Period. End of story. it's their business, and jerks are everywhere these days dreaming up new freedumbs.
There are laws about what discriminations are legal and which are not. There are security issues with jerks who refuse to abide by policy to wear a mask. If you don't like it, find an airline that doesn't require it. If you can't find one, then too bad for you, drive your car.
Unruly passsengers are up. Rude drivers are up. Rude people everywhere are up. Apparently being a jerk is "in".

Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 18,476,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If I need to wear a mask for the next 40 yrs of my frequent flying, it is of little concern to me. It's the least I can do for others more vulnerable or concerned than I.

Viral aerosol spread and contagion is not tough to understand or mitigate.
I've picked up my share of nasty bugs on planes over the year including the six weeks of a hacking bronchitis cough when I got home, the even worse sinus infection the spousal unit got when he was seated next to a visibly sick guy on a transatlantic flight which then got passed to me for the return flight where it went acute at 40K feet and the probable source of the influenza we both got for Christmas in 2017.

So I'm keeping a mask in my carry on from here on out for flight use even when I'm not using it anywhere else.

Quote:

The head flight attendant on one of my recent trips was DeShawn, who was a fabulous 6'1 and maybe 220 pounds. In about 95% of plane scuffles, my money would ha on DeShawn.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,997 posts, read 46,572,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I've picked up my share of nasty bugs on planes over the year ....
I use a $0.05 "DIY Copper Zapper", I make them from scrap icemaker copper tubing. (anytime I'm in densely packed public settings / transit)

been using ~15 yrs, so far so good...

Old 06-11-2021, 03:18 PM

18,425 posts, read 23,904,403 times
I've flown several times since May 2020 and have been lucky to not have any issues on my particular flights.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:51 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,710,409 times
Quote:
You would be surprised..

Old 06-11-2021, 10:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,988,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I've picked up my share of nasty bugs on planes over the year including the six weeks of a hacking bronchitis cough when I got home, the even worse sinus infection the spousal unit got when he was seated next to a visibly sick guy on a transatlantic flight which then got passed to me for the return flight where it went acute at 40K feet and the probable source of the influenza we both got for Christmas in 2017.

So I'm keeping a mask in my carry on from here on out for flight use even when I'm not using it anywhere else.

The head flight attendant on one of my recent trips was DeShawn, who was a fabulous 6'1 and maybe 220 pounds. In about 95% of plane scuffles, my money would ha on DeShawn.
I think I will always wear a mask on a plane from now on. I also caught a nasty bug from a sick passenger in the next aisle over and it was bad. Maybe a mask will offer a little protection.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM

6,634 posts, read 3,789,362 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I can attest that things are not really any different than before the Pandemic. I work in a very busy airport.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

15,464 posts, read 4,258,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Anybody who is a brat, feels entitled, and doesn't respect authority. That can fall on either side of the spectrum of politics.
Flight attendants should have the right to arrest and use zip ties.

Tasers would be good. I have been traveling by car since the pandemic began. I never go more than 1000 miles and its a easy two day car ride. Its fun to see the country and not be subjected to the TSA nonsense and baggage fees, nationalized ID and all the other things that make flying much less enjoyable now. And now we add to it all the insane angry people everywhere and who might be on my flight. Forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel