U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

9,535 posts, read 4,517,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What travel are you doing that is 1000 miles door to door in 15 min?
I said the 15 minute line, as that was one of the reasons given for not wanting to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Anything less than about 500-600 miles is close to a wash on time
I'm skeptical. Driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas take 8 hours, but it is a 1.5 hour flight. What do you get to the airport five hours early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can also avoid a $1500 7-day rental car bill that way too.

On top of that you're ignoring all of the transit time to the airport, waiting, etc.
You get a rental car on every trip you take? I don't, but enjoy your $40/night hotel parking fee downtown.

I'm not ignoring transit time to airport, I'm dismissing a 15 minute wait in line as a realistic factor in deciding whether to drive or fly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

15,464 posts, read 4,263,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree 100%. The main reason I hate to fly is the TSA. Then there are all the wonderful things to contend with on the planes: delays, turbulence, flatulence, screaming kids, cramped seating, etc. They say it's better to go first class, but even then you're not guaranteed of being hassle free. With road trips, you have complete freedom to stop & eat anywhere & anytime you want, no restrictions on how much luggage you can carry, and the scenery is much more enjoyable at ground level. Incidentally, all the screening & intrusion the TSA has done with airline passengers has not stopped one single terrorist. I feel safer on the open road anyway.

What I do not get is we have not had anything close to a 9/11 type event here since 9/11 yet the government found the need to do the real id thing. Just one more privacy intrusion.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

61,070 posts, read 47,565,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You get a rental car on every trip you take? I don't, but enjoy your $40/night hotel parking fee downtown.
No but it can be a factor especially now if you've heard about the cost of rental cars.

I've never heard of nor paid a hotel parking fee so that's not come up in my situations.

Whatever floats your boat, obviously each and every trip has a lot of variables and even different airports have their pros\cons and vastly differing wait times especially if you check bags.

Vegas as you mentioned is in particular a destination that is typically best flown into and where people don't need rental cars.

A lot of this is probably a coastal vs. midwest view as well given that you can much more reasonably drive to some destinations from the midwest that would be a complete pain from the coasts.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

61,070 posts, read 47,565,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What I do not get is we have not had anything close to a 9/11 type event here since 9/11 yet the government found the need to do the real id thing. Just one more privacy intrusion.
Real id applies to a lot more stuff than just air travel.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

69,832 posts, read 65,353,495 times
Quote:
I like the drive. I put on SiriusXM put on Howard or Spectrum and I hit the road. I enjoy the entire experience. I don't need to be screened or prove I am not a terrorist or get squished into a small seat (I am a big guy) or deal with flight delays, etc. I have in the past been on endless flights. Some go ok some do not. All my drives have gone just fine.

I am not going to knock you if you like that experience. Everyone should do what works for them.
I'm the same way. I regularly made a 530-mile trip before COVID (and twice since.) It's about eight and a half hours driving time. ONCE I flew. An hour train ride to the airport, then about an hour for security, boarding, etc., then a 57-minute flight. Then land, go to pick up a rental car and drive 2-1/2 hours from the airport to my destination. So, approximately six hours total. Wasn't worth it when I could take as much as I needed in the trunk of my car instead of a carry-on bag, stop if I wanted, and be on my own schedule. I never flew again after that one time.

I'm not against flying. There are other places that I would choose to fly to over driving.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

9,535 posts, read 4,517,784 times
Quote:
No but it can be a factor especially now if you've heard about the cost of rental cars. I've never heard of nor paid a hotel parking fee so that's not come up in my situations.
Well there we go, I guess we learned we shouldn't just project costs onto others without knowing their expenses when trying to quantify trip costs. I haven't rented a car in years.

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat, obviously each and every trip has a lot of variables and even different airports have their pros\cons and vastly differing wait times especially if you check bags.
Agreed.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,246,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree 100%. The main reason I hate to fly is the TSA. Then there are all the wonderful things to contend with on the planes: delays, turbulence, flatulence, screaming kids, cramped seating, etc. They say it's better to go first class, but even then you're not guaranteed of being hassle free. With road trips, you have complete freedom to stop & eat anywhere & anytime you want, no restrictions on how much luggage you can carry, and the scenery is much more enjoyable at ground level. Incidentally, all the screening & intrusion the TSA has done with airline passengers has not stopped one single terrorist. I feel safer on the open road anyway.
Well, to be fair, we really don't know how many terrorists were filed (or discouraged from doing anything in the first place) by the TSA but I totally agree with you on the freedom of road trips. I've been cheerfully driving form Kansas City to SC to visit family for years, with one hotel overnight each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The Hilton O'Hare in Chicago charges $75/night for valet parking. No, I've never paid it- have stayed there with my granddaughter because she loves the view of the airport but we use Uber or the subway to get into town.

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

39,729 posts, read 20,274,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Re airport bars, my kids and their families had their first flights since Covid in January, to Ballina, a very popular destination in the north of our state. Apparently there was an entire tribe of young men headed for a bucks party. Completely excited, quite drunk already and chatting up all the poor young women they could sight. Fortunately it was only a forty minute flight and I think they continued to drink. The time of day? Flight left at 9 30am!
Airports are outside the realm of civilization, I actually find it fascinating.

You want to sleep on the floor? Go for it. Get plastered at 8 am? We cater to that. Dress in clothes you wouldn't be caught dead in elsewhere? No one bats an eyelid. Be completely absorbed by a paperback that you would never let your friends see on your bookshelf? Absolutely. Shave in a public men's room? Do what you gotta do.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

6,634 posts, read 3,790,951 times
Quote:
Just one more privacy intrusion.
If you carry a smart phone---well, you have no privacy!

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 774,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
If you carry a smart phone---well, you have no privacy!
Truth.

Or use Facebook/Twitter/Snaphat

Or use YouTube

Or have a Gmail account or use Google mail.

Or if you own a smart TV.

Or if you write emails.

Or buy/sell on Amazon.

Or use store specific shopping discount cards.

Or buy/sell on eBay.

Or has a RING doorbell Camera.

Or use Alexa/Next/Siri.

Or use TurboTax.

Or have any dealings with the governent.

Your privacy is gone. Kaput. Welcome to the Brave New World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel