U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

9,913 posts, read 18,481,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What travel are you doing that is 1000 miles door to door in 15 min? That is not the tradeoff. I would never count on line being 15 min either.
I'm spoiled by the TSA Pre-Check line at Ppdunk Field, where I've never waited more than 5 minutes even when the general security line was backed up like a clogged toilet after burrito night and every gate at the airport had a plane.

And I'd adjacent to a couple people who have had security clearances over the years so I assume my background has been ruffled through by multiple feds. Might as well get something out of it (Pre-Check and Global Entry whenever we can get it lined up) myself if I am going to have that happen anyways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

3,185 posts, read 1,155,712 times
I really don't get the disproportional TSA hate.

In my estimation and experience, 90% of flying headaches can be attributed to:

1) Airline cost cutting and service cutting
2) Near-obsolete, too-small airports including ground access
3) trashy, entitled passengers

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

9,913 posts, read 18,481,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
2) Near-obsolete, too-small airports including ground access
I can remember the days when there were no public toilets airside at Podunk Field and airside 'food' were a couple of vending machines that contained a bunch of bottles of Diet Coke that were never cold (and warm diet soda is seriously nasty!) and a lone bag of Funyons dangling stuck on the wire that no one could quite shake loose. The new terminal (originally supposed to be built in 2002 but pushed back to 2004 because of 9/11) had ten gates, which seemed like so many for the passenger volume at the time, and now they're having to park planes on the tarmac for lack of gate space most of the day and the next terminal expansion won't be finished until winter.

An airport just can't really turn down the offer of new routes or new airlines even when there's not really the space, so another summer of growing pains there, it is.

Old Today, 12:46 PM

3,069 posts, read 894,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I said the 15 minute line, as that was one of the reasons given for not wanting to fly.
It was you that equated the tradeoff of 15 min in line vs 1000 mile travel. That is NOT the tradeoff.The 15 minutes you give for wait time is not realistic either - I have been in TSA lines of almost 2 hours at times and 30 min is often the case.

Quote:
I'm skeptical. Driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas take 8 hours, but it is a 1.5 hour flight. What do you get to the airport five hours early?
You are ignoring the realities - the airport travel time consists of way more than waiting at the airport, you don't need to wait 5 hours at the airport for a trip to be equivalent. I travel from San Diego to Las Vegas several times a month - that is 350 miles and takes me about 5 hours to drive and costs me almost nothing (have an EV with free charging). Taking a plane would take a little longer after driving to airport from my house, parking and take shuttle to airport, check in / bags, TSA line, wait at gate, flight, offload, get bags, get rental and drive to my house there. It would also cost me for tickets, parking, rental car, gas and must be done on their schedule.

Also many flights have connections which adds significantly to the time. I used to travel regularly from San Diego to Sierra Vista AZ - distance from my house was just under 500 miles (485) - drive would take me about 7 hours, flights are connecting so also about 7 hours to get to closest airport and still over an hour drive from airport in Tucson to SV - driving actually took less time.

Quote:
You get a rental car on every trip you take? I don't, but enjoy your $40/night hotel parking fee downtown.

I'm not ignoring transit time to airport, I'm dismissing a 15 minute wait in line as a realistic factor in deciding whether to drive or fly.
You continue to ignore that everybody's situation is different. Not everyone is going to a city center that charges for parking or is a shuttle ride from the airport and can do the trip without a car. You apparently are ignoring the travel time if you think need to wait 5 hours at the airport to be equivalent time - that is not the tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel