Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 10:37 PM

29,417 posts, read 22,301,920 times

Advertisements

I bought round trip tickets for next month but seeing how there's such huge interest for flights, airports getting crowded, and people fighting everywhere, kinda makes me wary.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/airline-t...212428365.html
Quote:
With Americans rushing to travel now that the end to the coronavirus pandemic is coming into view, flights are packed, ticket prices have soared, airports are bustling and tempers are flaring.

Laura Ramirez is relieved to be home in New York after what she calls a “nightmarish experience” traveling by plane from Miami this past weekend.

“I was supposed to get back on Sunday morning, and American Airlines at the Miami Airport is a mess,” Ramirez, a reporter at Yahoo News, said. “They don't have enough agents to handle the amount of people traveling, and I missed my flight even though I arrived at the airport two hours [early]. The line to see an agent was a three-hour line.”

In recent weeks, numerous other stories of combative passengers on flights and of violent encounters in airports have been reported. While incidents in the air have always been a once-in-a-while occurrence, the numbers show they are happening with more frequency.

Through May of this year, about 2,500 in-flight passenger incidents had been reported to the Federal Aviation Administration in 2021, and 394 of those were classified as “unruly,” according to Forbes. This marks a more than 100 percent increase in the number of complaints compiled over the last two years, which fell well under 200 for each full year of 2019 and 2020.

Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, which represents over 45,000 flight attendants across 17 airlines, said the level of hostility toward flight attendants in the past year has been astounding.

“We have just never seen anything like this,” Nelson said during an online meeting with federal aviation officials in late May. “We’ve never seen it so bad.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,559 posts, read 57,471,708 times
I fly every week (sometimes several times / week)

Yes, there are 'testy' passengers, and the flight crews are getting exaspirated with the whiners and belligerent.

Not a very pleasant job to have.

I feel quite safe flying, Wish there were not so many idiots doing the same.
I have only been on one flight where a flight marshal took down a passenger (that was many yrs ago).

I wonder how many flight marshalls are typically flying? Time to bring on some more and plenty of tasers too.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:55 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,653,883 times
My flights so far this year have been pretty mellow despite the headlines. 99%+ of the people on the plane just want to get to their destination without drama; it's that handful of jerks that are the reason why the rest of us don't get nice things.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:29 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I bought round trip tickets for next month but seeing how there's such huge interest for flights, airports getting crowded, and people fighting everywhere, kinda makes me wary.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/airline-t...212428365.html
You will be good..I have flown 7 times since last September and no issues..Great seatmates, in-airport experiences and at busy terminals such as BWI, ATL, Miami, FLL, Santiago DR, Cancun and Midway.

Last edited by Gil3; 06-10-2021 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 10:06 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My flights so far this year have been pretty mellow despite the headlines. 99%+ of the people on the plane just want to get to their destination without drama; it's that handful of jerks that are the reason why the rest of us don't get nice things.
True..

Old 06-10-2021, 10:14 AM

10,648 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Covid is wearing on everyone's nerves everywhere.

News at 11.

If you want a return to more peaceful tolerant people, open everything up and end the Covid shutdowns, masks, distancing. All the crap. When we return to normal, people will return to normal. As long as life is tense and taxing, people will be tense and snap.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: q

Old 06-10-2021, 10:23 AM

238 posts, read 98,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Covid is wearing on everyone's nerves everywhere.

News at 11.

If you want a return to more peaceful tolerant people, open everything up and end the Covid shutdowns, masks, distancing. All the crap. When we return to normal, people will return to normal. As long as life is tense and taxing, people will be tense and snap.
Amen.

I had a red eye Delta flight last week back to FL and the attendant's announcement went like this...

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Myself and the cabin crew will not be arguing with you on this evening's flight. Any disruptions and you will receive a conduct card and will be dealt with when you deplane. We would like nothing more than a drama free flight that doesn't end up on YouTube."

She was 100% serious and I got a laugh out of it being I'm a big YouTuber.... gotta face reality though. People are tired of the covid restrictions and masks on flights. I can see why people are not thinking clearly. The last red eye flight I had a month or so ago the cabin attendants actually turned on all the cabin lights (and woke me up at about 2am) to check to see if there were any mask violators.

Yes... getting woke up at 2am by the mask police did aggravate me a bit... but I bit my tongue.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,559 posts, read 57,471,708 times
1) the flight and airport will likely be the safest part of your trip.

Covid is not going away, especially in the USA.

If I need to wear a mask for the next 40 yrs of my frequent flying, it is of little concern to me. It's the least I can do for others more vulnerable or concerned than I.

Viral aerosol spread and contagion is not tough to understand or mitigate.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,092,712 times
There is the usual loud crowd who stop off at the airport bar for a few before boarding, but this has been going on way before Covid. On a recent flight to Tally, a lady with hair dyed several different colors and wearing a suggestive outfit was prancing around while her mom was trying to control her three kids. She was high on who knows what and it was obvious to everyone. Before boarding, she was detained while a couple of flight attendants spoke to her, but the family all got on. Later in baggage, the two women next to me were talking about this lady and ripping her to shreds. Bad behavior all around, but pretty low on the drama scale. Most people just want to get there.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,584,678 times
Anybody who is a brat, feels entitled, and doesn't respect authority. That can fall on either side of the spectrum of politics.
Flight attendants should have the right to arrest and use zip ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel