U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 04:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,927,388 times

Advertisements

My passport expires in January, but I'd like to get a start on renewing it. I know that generally the applications centers such as the Post Offies, etc. aren't open unless it's more or less for emergency renewals, etc.

However, is it possible to mail the form in and request expedited and pay the required fees, etc. WITHOUT PROVIDING ANY TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION? I'm getting conflicting information.

I am not asking about an "emergency passport renewal", but just want to expedite it without any travel plans, etc.

I know I can always do the regular process and it's supposed to take 10-12 weeks vs. the expedited which I think takes 4-5 weeks?

Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 05:21 PM

77,531 posts, read 6,391,333 times
I got mine renewed a few months ago, the post office was open & it came back in about a month. I did not pay for any extra services. I think because business has been slow, you will get it back fairly quickly anyhow.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I got mine renewed a few months ago, the post office was open & it came back in about a month. I did not pay for any extra services. I think because business has been slow, you will get it back fairly quickly anyhow.
Interesting. No Post Offices that accept folks here except for emergency needs.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:34 AM

37,098 posts, read 37,354,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I too understood that only first time passport requests can be done at local post offices. All non emergency passports renewals need to be done by mail in the USA.

Recently my brother got an emergency American passport renewal done overseas at a USA consulate/embassy. He had to make an appointment online at least a few weeks prior. He was told that once he is back in the USA (as he just got back home yesterday), he can the emergency passport replaced with a new one with no extra charge. The problem that this takes a few months and he doesn't want to be without a passport for such an extended period (and I don't know how he plans to handle this).

Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too understood that only first time passport requests can be done at local post offices. All non emergency passports renewals need to be done by mail in the USA.

Recently my brother got an emergency American passport renewal done overseas at a USA consulate/embassy. He had to make an appointment online at least a few weeks prior. He was told that once he is back in the USA (as he just got back home yesterday), he can the emergency passport replaced with a new one with no extra charge. The problem that this takes a few months and he doesn't want to be without a passport for such an extended period (and I don't know how he plans to handle this).
Yes, that is my understanding. Good luck to your brother.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:03 PM

10,101 posts, read 18,645,445 times
Peeking over at the FT 'data points' thread, it looks like State has cleared previous backlogs and is turning around most standard renewal applications in 5-7 weeks. This is probably not a high passport demand time right now since a lot of people weren't planning on foreign travel this summer even if more borders opened up.

The common recent choke point is often the US Post Office, which you have to use, delaying the shipment of documents coming or going.

Also if processing time gets long, you can contact State and pay the expedited fee a couple weeks after applying if it seems slow and you want your application bumped to the head of the line at hat point.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Peeking over at the FT 'data points' thread, it looks like State has cleared previous backlogs and is turning around most standard renewal applications in 5-7 weeks. This is probably not a high passport demand time right now since a lot of people weren't planning on foreign travel this summer even if more borders opened up.

The common recent choke point is often the US Post Office, which you have to use, delaying the shipment of documents coming or going.

Also if processing time gets long, you can contact State and pay the expedited fee a couple weeks after applying if it seems slow and you want your application bumped to the head of the line at hat point.
Thanks for the info!!

Old 06-14-2021, 10:44 AM

77,531 posts, read 6,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, maybe I got lucky. I just walked into the Post Office passport office ( they only do passports) to make an appointment. I had my old one with me, he was not busy, ( waiting for his next appointment,) so he said I can do it for you now, if you have everything ready. They take the photo there too, I was impressed with their efficiency.

I wouldn't pay for expedited services, as there isn't much of a backlog right now, so the turnaround time is quick. Especially as you don't need it right away.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 PM

How long is it taking these days to get a passport back these days?

Old 07-15-2021, 04:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,333,018 times
The State Department is indicating....
"Due to increased demand, a shortage of appointments and delays with the U.S. Post Service, those applying for a new or renewed passport should expect to wait up to 18 weeks for their document. That wait time drops to 12 weeks if you pay $60 extra for expedited processing. (Jul 7, 2021)"

As always, YMMV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel