U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 04:44 PM

11,783 posts, read 11,170,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And that's why we went to Arches in December. Between the heat and the crowds, I don't think it would be as enjoyable in the summer. Our December trip was perfect. Cheap hotel ( over $400 more a night now), no reservations or waits to eat, trails to ourselves, and the weather was perfect.

I have been to Paris, London, and New York. You can easily pay more for a motel in Moab (next to Arches) than in any of those cities. Its beyond ridiculous. I refuse to stay in Moab anymore. Going there in the winter though is a good idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 05:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 18,627,051 times
Check out the summer prices and reviews for the Hampton Inn in Jackson Hole,WY. It’s amazing what you can charge when you’re prime National Park-adjacent

Everyone talks about Switzerland being expensive but we’re paying 50% more per night for the Yosemite Valley Lodge (no breakfast) this summer than we did for the Bernese Oberland part of Switzerland in 2019 and the Swiss hotel was breakfast-included.

Paris is actually pretty easy to do on the cheap because there seems to be an Ibis hotel at every subway stop and every other chain that comes into the area is competing with that.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:03 AM

1,305 posts, read 564,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Yosemite is on a reservation system right now and it was pretty darned crowded. And don't plan to stay in the park unless you made a reservation last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We got our Yosemite Valley Lodge reservations in April- if you're willing to haunt the Travel Yosemite web site, you can sometimes to often snare reservations that people made last summer and then cancelled if you're able to be very flexible with your own vacation dates.
Agree with BM, we were able to get a reservation at the YVL right before Easter this year. Our reservation happened only a month or so before our trip. Just so happened that our son's school spring break was the week before Easter weekend. It worked out perfectly for us. For anyone interested I would suggest to regularly monitor their reservation system to look for rooms due to late cancellations. We actually got another week at YVL for this August, but cancelled it since we decided to go to Maui. YVL doesn't have AC, only ceiling fans, so it was not an ideal time for us to go in Aug.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,716,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
I live near Yellowstone. We drove through last October on a road trip. We have been numerous times in the month of October, and each time, nearly had the park to ourselves, with the exception of the Old Faithful area. Last year was quite a change, hoards of people everywhere. Many of these had plates from very distant states, and should be grateful for the good weather they had, that time of year is always a toss up in Yellowstone. It boggled my mind, we couldn't escape the crowds anywhere.
We had my sister with us who had never been to Yellowstone. We knew it would be crowded in early October but she insisted. Coming into the park from Cody, we were fooled by the scant traffic. Once past the east entrance, people everywhere. All campgrounds were either full or closed. We had to camp just inside Teton National Park where a kind ranger let us stay (we were just slightly inside the park boundary). People were rude, left garbage, exceeded the speed limit, etc. We are sorry, but national parks are no longer part of our itinerary.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:46 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,675,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
[/b]

I have been to Paris, London, and New York. You can easily pay more for a motel in Moab (next to Arches) than in any of those cities. Its beyond ridiculous. I refuse to stay in Moab anymore. Going there in the winter though is a good idea.
LOL. I camped in Canyonlands in winter more than 15 years ago. Froze!!!!!! Night temps down to single digits and I never could warm up much during the day (maybe 40 degrees at best) due to effects of poor sleep. Finally I caved on my last night in the area. A motel cost $25 for the night. The town had exploded its number of motel rooms in the few years previous, and winter tourism just didn’t fill all the rooms. Yet.

Betcha there aren’t any $25 rooms these days, maybe not $75, either.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:08 PM

14,828 posts, read 9,656,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
LOL. I camped in Canyonlands in winter more than 15 years ago. Froze!!!!!! Night temps down to single digits and I never could warm up much during the day (maybe 40 degrees at best) due to effects of poor sleep. Finally I caved on my last night in the area. A motel cost $25 for the night. The town had exploded its number of motel rooms in the few years previous, and winter tourism just didn’t fill all the rooms. Yet.

Betcha there aren’t any $25 rooms these days, maybe not $75, either.
Rooms can still be found that cheap in the winter, definitely not in the summer. We stayed at a fairly new Hilton, the Hoodoo Hotel, and only paid about $70 a night. I didn't look up what motels were at the time, but considering what we paid, I would think the older motels would be pretty cheap in the winter.

There still doesn't seem to be much winter tourism in the area. Walking around town, many shops and restaurants had signs in the window stating they were closed for the winter.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,648,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't like the idea of a reservation system because of the one true pleasures of living in this part of the country is being able to jump in your car on a Saturday and go for a visit without a huge amount of planning. However, these places are being "loved to death" and there really aren't many alternatives.
Visited YNP/Glacier in 2007, September. It was busy then, but it was mostly a sightseeing trip as my folks weren't into hiking. Visitation just went up since then. Went back to Glacier in 2017 and YNP in 2018, both times in August. Lots of people, traffic, etc.. Thankfully I'm an early riser, so I was up before sunlight and hitting the road to beat the crowds. Got turned away at Many Glacier due to the sheer number of vehicles in the area. Waiter at a place we stopped on the east side said 2017 was the first time he'd ever seen the park service close all three east side entry roads into the park. Did a Southern Utah trip back in October of 2013 for the first time. It was right after the government reopened the parks, plus it was October so crowds were bad at all.

I've heard things have just gotten worse. Went to Great Smoky Mountains NP last October. Our first Oct. visit. Traffic was bad both in the park and in the resort towns. Wait times for restaurants in town varied from 45 mins to not taking anymore names three hours before closing.

I think the reservation system is here to stay, but I guess we shall see. I personally wouldn't mind a lotto system, opened sooner than what is happening now. Allow people to register, told they will have to show valid ID showing matching info, and let them put in for a week or two. Have a non-refundable deposit to make sure only those who are serious about making the trip work put in for the reservation lotto. People with regional or local state IDs should be given some sort of means of visiting more often, but the parks are national and thus belong to the entire country. Forced mass transit might keep people away, or maybe a combo of personal vehicle reservations but anyone can go to a mass transit station and visit so long as they use a bus with specific drop-off points.

With more people moving to the south and SW/Western US, the parks are going to constantly have this problem. People will say they just need funded properly, but what does that mean? Five story tall parking garages at Old Faithful? Make every road in YNP at least three lanes wide with a center lane for turning/passing so others can gawk and hold up traffic? Maybe four lanes with zero tolerance for stopping on the inside lanes? I don't see how throwing more money will help unless they building more parking lots/garages and/or widen park roads where possible. More money to the parks isn't going to reduce visitation numbers.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM

2,439 posts, read 842,627 times
There are too many of us. That is why the government wants to make so many more of us.

They keep doing everything they can to add population to raise the tax base but all they are doing is causing a bigger demand on goods and services, many of them becoming increasingly scarce. If government spending wasn't a ponzi scheme requiring constant economic growth from constant popultion growth, we wouldn't need a nation of 300 million people. Wait until we are a nation of 400 million. Good luck going anywhere let alone driving anywhere.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:19 PM

2,439 posts, read 842,627 times
I haven't been to Yosemite in well over 10 years if not closer to 15.

The last time I went in summer, it was crushed with congestion and I was choking on the camp fires.

I quit going to Yosemite in summer. I once went in the dead of winter. It was nice to have the place to ourselves. We were the only ones watching the Super Bowl in the Awahnee, but half the park was closed and it was dark by 5 o'clock. It turned dark when we were still a mile from the bottom hiking down from Glacier Point. Worse still, I had forgotten to pack my boots. Dark brough on icy conditions and every couple of hundred or so feet I would slip and fall.

Yosemite in the dark is not very interesting since they stopped the real fire falls, which I saw when I was a child.

The last couple of times I went it was very early Spring with empty waterfalls, or very late Fall. Then, I just quit going altogether. It was either too crowded or too inaccessible. No middle ground. Summer was definitely the worst. I would take cold, snow, and 5 PM darkness over mobs of peolpe slamming into you on the buses and smog hanging all over the valley.

I don't know how crowded King's Canyon is these days. I was supposed to go about 10 years ago, but broke my ankle in a motorcycle crash the week before, so I still haven't seen Seqoyia/Kings Canyon.

The last time I went to Rocky Mountain National Park in the summer, it was wonderful. No crowds or other problems compared to Yosemite. Estes Park in town was pretty crowded at times, but once you got into the Park itself, you would finds some elbow room.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-20-2021 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 PM

23,452 posts, read 14,806,248 times
Disneyland-like crowds flooding national parks could cause some parks to close their gates

Quote:
Summer months are here and national parks across the country are getting an influx of visitors. In some cases, it's been so many that some parks have been forced to close their gates.

For example, Arches National Park in Grand County, Utah, welcomed about 194,000 people in April - up 15% from April 2019, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Since the beginning of this year, the park has closed its gates over 80 times. If the rate continues, this will be the park's busiest year ever, according to The Associated Press.

For some parks, Memorial Day weekend marked the start of the busy tourism season. Yellowstone National Park experienced a 50% increase in cars compared to the 2019 Memorial Day weekend, and Zion National Park had a four-hour wait time for some popular hikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel