Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:05 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

I always book a window seat. My favorite views are just the clouds and bright blue sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 09:11 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
I love looking out the window. My most memorable view is flying over the Rockies at night in winter and peering down at all the tiny villages lit up and nestled into the snow and mountains. Breathtaking.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Which app do you use? I've always wanted to be able to do this. "What lake is that?" "Which town is this?"
OSM ( open source maps)

Also use Maps.me

Both use gps, so no internet connection is required

You need to upload specific region maps before you go! (If you won't have internet or data available while enroute)

Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
As a young GI heading to SE Asia for the first time...stewardess called our attention to a tiny speck in the Pacific Ocean, some 30K feet below...and stated we were going to land that big plane on that tiny speck. Wake Island turned out to be just big enough.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-17-2021, 10:03 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I definitely look out the window. On some flights out of JFK at night you can get a view straight up 5th Avenue in Manhattan. On puddle jumper flights you can see the ground the whole way, and you can get literally a bird's eye view of the countryside.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:38 AM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Do you look out the window when you fly?
Until we're above the clouds, my face is glued to the window. I love it!

Quote:
My favorite view was a sunlit look at that huge glacier in Greenland calving all those icebergs. I looked around the plane, all dark -- everyone's shades were closed, I was the only passenger who saw this amazing sight.

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place...6!4d-42.604303

What were your favorite views from the air?
Greenland Glaciers are also one of my favorites. Flying on the 4th of July is nice as well. I'm a climber, so whenever I'm flying over a mountain range, I work to identify the peaks, rivers, and other landmarks if I'm familiar with the range. I also like to follow random rural roads, rivers, and try and identify everything.

Since I often read physics/cosmology/relativity related books on flights, another interesting sight to see is that of other planes in flight. It looks so odd to see a plane in the air moving in what appears to me to be an unorthodox direction. It's off on some odd angle to me, but the inhabitants inside are experiencing the same phenomena as I am. Perhaps there's even a flight attendant coming down the aisle offering beverages. A dry Manhattan for me, if you will.

One of my favorite authors, Julio Cortazar, wrote a short story called Island at Noon wherein the main character becomes obsessed about an island viewed from a plane window. I really enjoyed the story, but have only read the Spanish version.

One day I'd like to take one of the NYC <-> Hong Kong flights or similar that fly up and over the North Pole.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:09 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Yes, I love looking down and trying to figure out where we are. I wish GPS on my phone would work on that ( any suggestions?). I had a Garmin way back and it was sort of so so as far as identifying highways and towns.

My great views were flying from Milan to Rome but the Alitalia flight was great . Flying over the Alps was so beautiful. Also, flying over the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell are also a treat.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:27 PM

392 posts, read 275,084 times
I'd rather look at ANYTHING outside the window, than the interior of a packed airliner.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Sometimes you Can't look out the window (787 master control for shading). I saw one airline last was telling FA to "lighten-up" on forcing windows to darken. Some watching movies or sleeping get real upset if one passenger "destroys-the-darkness' by opening window shade.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:03 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I only fly if i have a window seat. I need to see what's going on outside. Sitting the aisle or middle of the plane would drive me crazy.

I'll look out the window as much as i can, take off to landing unless it's dark or cloudy outside or there is pressure to close the shade (bright sun on my side of the plane).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel