U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 11:55 PM

23,378 posts, read 35,481,827 times

Advertisements

The night view of DC on the Potomac River approach to National is pretty memorable also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 03:56 AM

2,312 posts, read 1,022,593 times
I love flying over the Whitsundays in North Queensland and landing at the little airport at Hamilton Island. Also flying home into Sydney and seeing if we are flying over National Park and our local beach.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:11 AM

37,039 posts, read 37,273,414 times
If I am sitting by a window and it is daytime, I will look out if there is some interesting landscape below.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 AM

1,737 posts, read 636,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As long as there is any kind of interesting view, I'm glued to the window. I'm also always surprised by how few people show any interest in looking out. Years ago, the pilot used to call the passengers' attention to passing natural wonders that were visible...Niagara Falls, or Crater Lake, etc. I haven't heard them do that for a long time now.

And of course it's always fun to see my own area from the air, either taking off or landing.
Yes I remember that! That was back when flying was fun and exciting. I miss those days - thx for the reminder

Old 06-18-2021, 05:20 AM

2,799 posts, read 3,797,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
My favorite views are the gauges reading "normal."
I'll lookout the windows to verify my attitude, but that's about it. (Unless I'm landing ILS approach.)
I know this is a typo, but I think it's a good one!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:21 AM

1,737 posts, read 636,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Cute!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:34 AM

3,916 posts, read 1,439,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Seeing an electric storm in the distance, seeing the lightning strikes & being on the same level as them, when they started, was a great view at night. I also like flying into LHR & seeing the Thames river & its bends.
yea, one time, flying into Wyoming at night, we were right level with an amazing lightening storm not too far in the distance. Up close like that the power of nature was awesome to behold. However, I was also shaking and moaning and praying because I thought I was going to die. The plane was bucking like a bronco...captain never said a word and the flight attendant had her feet up on the seat in front of her and was playing on her phone, so those must be typical flying conditions into Jackson Hole.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:36 AM

1,898 posts, read 1,310,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I know this is a typo, but I think it's a good one!
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I didn't read it as a typo. Attitude re flight basically means visually establishing the airplane’s incline with reference to the natural horizon. Straight n level is always good, Imho.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 06-18-2021 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 06:46 AM

10,520 posts, read 5,204,240 times
Sure do!!

Breath taking times :
Seeing the lightening thru the clouds.

Coming in to a landing on a carribean island. The sunset glistening the waves.

Yes I recall the landing into Reykjavik. ...during fire and ice festival. No way to even describe it. Bonfires and ice sculpture. ...houses with frost....reflections.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:53 AM

70,289 posts, read 65,712,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
I haven't flown for a while, but I do like looking out the window when I do. I rather liked seeing upstate New York from the air.
My last flight was Newark to Ottawa in autumn, 57 minutes, and upstate New York's farmland looked beautiful.. Plus we weren't really all that high for most of the trip. By the time you finish ascending, it's time to begin the descent.

I always look out the window.

On my first (and only, lol) flight to Europe, I left EWR around 9 p.m., and it was cool to see NYC recede as we ascended, and then I flew in darkness to Iceland. Got there around 7 and had to wait an hour for my connecting flight to Amsterdam, but it was November and the sun wasn't going to rise until about 10 a.m., so I could see nothing out of the terminal windows except airport maintenance staff.

Then I got on the flight to Amsterdam, and I dozed a bit, and when I woke up the entire curved horizon was this beautiful pink and I could see the water moving across the surface of the ocean below. It was breathtaking. A while later, I saw my first glimpse of land--Europe! And as we descended toward Schiphol, I got my first closeup look of Europe--fuel farm tanks, the same thing I had just left behind in Newark, NJ, the night before, only they were east of the water, not west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel