U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:34 AM

1,060 posts, read 72,095 times

Advertisements

Absolutely. That's why I always try to get a window seat. I love looking down at the world from so high. Some of the uninhabited areas are gorgeous. The winding rivers, mountains, and different colors of the landscape can be stunning. Even miles and miles of flat farmland is fascinating with the patchwork of different crops & fields.

I also like looking down when it's pitch black to see the odd little cluster of lights that denote a town or sole house in the middle of nowhere. And busy highways at night, looking at the long rivers of cars going to who knows where.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 01:45 PM

6,773 posts, read 2,630,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
Absolutely. That's why I always try to get a window seat. I love looking down at the world from so high. Some of the uninhabited areas are gorgeous. The winding rivers, mountains, and different colors of the landscape can be stunning. Even miles and miles of flat farmland is fascinating with the patchwork of different crops & fields.

I also like looking down when it's pitch black to see the odd little cluster of lights that denote a town or sole house in the middle of nowhere. And busy highways at night, looking at the long rivers of cars going to who knows where.
Agree it is as fascinating today after hundreds of trips as when it was when I had my first flight in my 20's. We take flying for granted, we tend to forget that human flight is still an amazing experience. Now grinding your way through airports to GET to the flight is another story entirely.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:52 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,815,919 times
Yes, it lessens my chances of crashing and burning. Lol

Old 06-18-2021, 08:23 PM

70,240 posts, read 65,679,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post

I flew back overnight to New Jersey from Las Vegas once. I was dozing and waking, and at one waking point, I looked out the window and saw all these lights that ended abruptly with pitch darkness to the north of it. Took me a few seconds to realize I was looking at Chicago and Lake Michigan.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:36 PM

7,170 posts, read 10,001,956 times
Absolutely!!! I love looking out, I have seen some amazing things, night landings in London, NY, LA etc. are spectacular, flying over Greenland is always amazing, i've seen Mt. Rainier, Kilimanjaro and a few other volcanoes - it was simply breathtaking. I've also seen some cool stuff like people de-icing the plane etc.

For this reason I love being at the window even though it isn't the most convenient as I like to chug a few beers and possibly a glass of wine as well with my meals and that requires me to visit the restroom - sometimes either a) people are asleep and I have to bother them or b) they just look at me with a mad look that I "inconvenienced" them...well more recently i've learned not to give a damn

Old 06-18-2021, 10:41 PM

1,556 posts, read 613,687 times
On my very first flight to London, I remember how exciting it was to see Greenland and Iceland.

Flying over the Grand Canyon is amazing.

On a redeye into Washington, DC, we zoomed past the lit- up Washington monument. I felt like I could reach out & touch it.

And even though I did this many times, flying into the airport in San Diego, CA after dark was always a thrill. The descent is steep, right over the city. If the Padres had a home game, it felt like the plane was going to land in Petco Park!

Old 06-18-2021, 11:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 469,711 times
I once flew out of Los Angeles, north along the coast, and could see very conspicuous lines of white surf, seemingly miles from shore, near cruising altitude. Is this normal?

Old 06-19-2021, 06:34 AM

70,240 posts, read 65,679,107 times
I really wanted to answer the thread title with..."Window? What window?"

Old 06-19-2021, 07:14 AM

14,515 posts, read 7,729,841 times
All the time!........of course, I am air crew, pilot, navigator, aerial photographer......

Old 06-19-2021, 10:20 AM

8,131 posts, read 12,261,282 times
I've gotten to the point that when I fly the local routes, I always book the F window.

As soon as the door closes and we start pushback, I tend to rest my head in the window area and fall asleep soon after takeoff.

Then I usually wake I with the tones telling the FA's to prepare the cabin for landing.

That's the best way to fly anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel