U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 02:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 824,911 times

Advertisements

I always get a window seat just behind the wing so I can watch flaps and reverse thrusters for landing.

I definitely watch the ground during takeoff and landing, especially when flying into JFK or Laguardia.

I dont remember which of the two airports has he flights flying up the Jersey Coast and Hudson river, but you can see the Hudson river turn from blue to brown in a straight line just past the statue of liberty.

When I first flew into St Maartin, I didnt know about Maho beach. Found out about it while looking out the window during landing and thinking "Wow were getting awefully close to the water!" Then I saw the beach fly under then the runway. First thing I said to my gf was "Were going there first!!" Next day I sat on Maho beach all day watching the planes low fly overhead. It was awesome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 02:51 PM

3,998 posts, read 1,571,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I once flew out of Los Angeles, north along the coast, and could see very conspicuous lines of white surf, seemingly miles from shore, near cruising altitude. Is this normal?
Yes, depending upon your destination.

Seattle? Sure.

Omaha? Not-so-much!

Fun to look for landmarks, along the route. Morro Rock is a good landmark. Monterey Bay is another that's easy to pick-up.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:34 PM

13,449 posts, read 17,024,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Nope! I sit middle or aisle. I only glance out for a minute or two right before landing. I like to pretend I'm on a bus and not on a plane.
Looks like we're in the minority here. I can't look unless I can't tell how high we are. If all I can see are clouds, or twinkling lights in the darkness, I'm good. Other than that just quick sidelong glances out the window from the 'safety' of an interior seat.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 983,386 times
On take off I look down at the ground getting further and further away, and at nighttime I look at the twinkling lights below, try to work out what it is I’m seeing, and wonder when I’ll see it again.
On landing I do something similar, if I see Tower Bridge in London, or St. Paul’s cupola, I think “Soon be home.”
Once, en route from London to Brisbane, via Singapore, I looked down at foothills and areas of sand, and wondered if it might be Iran or Iraq.
Another time, on an Air France flight from Toulouse-Blagnac to Heathrow, as we were on approach, an attractive FA went into the cockpit, leaving the door swinging loosely open.
She sat on someone’s lap, pilot, second officer, navigator, I’d no idea, but proceeded to nibble his ear lobe, I remember thinking, “Jeez, how can I get a job with perks like that.”

Old 06-19-2021, 04:11 PM

70,289 posts, read 65,712,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I always get a window seat just behind the wing so I can watch flaps and reverse thrusters for landing.

I definitely watch the ground during takeoff and landing, especially when flying into JFK or Laguardia.

I dont remember which of the two airports has he flights flying up the Jersey Coast and Hudson river, but you can see the Hudson river turn from blue to brown in a straight line just past the statue of liberty.

When I first flew into St Maartin, I didnt know about Maho beach. Found out about it while looking out the window during landing and thinking "Wow were getting awefully close to the water!" Then I saw the beach fly under then the runway. First thing I said to my gf was "Were going there first!!" Next day I sat on Maho beach all day watching the planes low fly overhead. It was awesome.
That is interesting! (Probably LGA--JFK is off farther to the east.)

The statue is in the harbor at the mouth of the river, though, not the river itself. The brown line (which is the heavy silt and sediment carried by the river) denotes the actual end of the river itself as it meets New York Bay and then goes out to the Atlantic Ocean. Pretty cool observation. Now I want to see it, too.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:23 PM

13,594 posts, read 8,911,664 times
Landing in Lagurdia at night, or just after sunset, coming in from the tip of Manhattan and straigtht lining it to the airport.

Lady Liberty out the left hand window, all the lights of the once wonderful city

Next was leaving Seattle going to LA at dawn. Once we cleared the fog, there were all of the volcano mountains at sunrise, Rainer, Adams, Hood and St Helens

Next would be the same as OP. Glaciers in Greenland

Old 06-20-2021, 02:39 AM

23 posts, read 32,602 times
Flying over the Swiss Alps at dawn. What an amazing sight, and I was the only passenger looking out.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 AM

3,916 posts, read 1,439,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post

Boston Logan has a runway jutting out into the water, too. (not as scenic as St Maartin, certainly). The first time I landed there on a puddle jumper, I was certain we were going in the drink. It was also very turbulent coming in, back and forth, up and down, left and right....

Old 06-20-2021, 01:09 PM

7,000 posts, read 3,212,842 times
I always do, and my husband is kind enough to let me have the window seat every time, even on a bus. I am glued to the window. He is one of those that doesn't care about the view (incomprehensible).

Probably my favorite was the Greek islands passing underneath, and the exquisite Aegean. Second to that would be Los Angeles at night from a small plane. When we had our own plane, I was always amazed and thrilled at the view of the lights and especially the freeway ribbons of red and white snaking along for hundreds of miles.

A thrilling sight but scary landing is Quito in the Andes. The Andes are scary even by bus!

We decided to use our other major airport to avoid Quito. It's almost as scary as San Diego, which I think is rated even worse for pilots. But oh man, what a view threading through the verdant and imposing Andes.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM

3,705 posts, read 3,273,785 times
Always!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel