U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,076 posts, read 46,756,487 times
Reputation: 32976

Advertisements

HKG Kai Tak Airport was great in 747 (upper deck)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Tak_Airport
When you saw the wing-tip "strike-the-match" on the Winchester Man billboard, you knew you were about to 'drop-in'.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yyyc_PYb9E
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2021, 06:58 PM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
23,016 posts, read 11,035,352 times
Reputation: 23078
I always look out the window, but am mindful of the glare that it can cause sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Dessert
6,327 posts, read 3,120,483 times
Reputation: 16702
Most of my flying time has been over the ocean, so it gets boring fast, but I always look when I'm over land. One evening, my flight came in at sunset, through layers of cotton candy pink clouds. Lovely!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Retired in Malibu/La Quinta/Flagstaff
1,500 posts, read 1,576,530 times
Reputation: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, hard to take off, Land, look around for other planes, Weather without looking out the window.
Same here. Have my own plane. I shun commercial flights at all costs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2021, 10:58 PM
 
6,043 posts, read 4,426,061 times
Reputation: 12674
I always reserve a window seat when possible and love looking out. I would rather have a middle seat than an aisle seat, being in the center of a long dark metal tube is very claustrophobic to me. I need to see the outside.

I also love guessing what town we're flying over and will use the flight tracker to confirm. I usually will pick the sunny side of the plane, doesn't bother me a bit. I open the shade as soon as I sit down. My favorite view is flying along with the sunset and seeing those vibrant colors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 PM
 
2,201 posts, read 823,562 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is interesting! (Probably LGA--JFK is off farther to the east.)

The statue is in the harbor at the mouth of the river, though, not the river itself. The brown line (which is the heavy silt and sediment carried by the river) denotes the actual end of the river itself as it meets New York Bay and then goes out to the Atlantic Ocean. Pretty cool observation. Now I want to see it, too.
I never knew that section was called the NY bay. I figured it just went straight from that line to the Atlantic, but never really looked it up..

I got lucky and I think the one or two times I saw the brown line was mid-day with clear skies. I wonder if the brown line is visible in overcast light.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2021, 08:39 PM
Status: "Recalibrating" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
70,230 posts, read 65,660,893 times
Reputation: 87084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I never knew that section was called the NY bay. I figured it just went straight from that line to the Atlantic, but never really looked it up..

I got lucky and I think the one or two times I saw the brown line was mid-day with clear skies. I wonder if the brown line is visible in overcast light.
No, that's still a bit far from the Atlantic.

https://blog.response.restoration.no...system-rebound

The Statue of Liberty is around the "N" in New York on this map. That's the Upper New York Bay, then south of that past the NYC borough of Staten Island is Lower New York Bay, which meets up with the Raritan Bay and the Sandy Hook Bay, and THEN the Atlantic Coast begins along New Jersey just around or below Sandy Hook.

Fun fact: A few million years back, the Hudson extended further east and south for about a hundred miles. The ancient riverbed creates a sharp drop in depth known as the Hudson Canyon on the ocean floor about 75 miles off the coast of New Jersey. It's a spot for catching yellowfin tuna and other fish that live in deeper water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Canyon
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2021, 09:49 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,530 posts, read 20,685,243 times
Reputation: 3756
I do but I haven't flown since '95.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2021, 07:05 PM
 
2,201 posts, read 823,562 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that's still a bit far from the Atlantic.

https://blog.response.restoration.no...system-rebound

The Statue of Liberty is around the "N" in New York on this map. That's the Upper New York Bay, then south of that past the NYC borough of Staten Island is Lower New York Bay, which meets up with the Raritan Bay and the Sandy Hook Bay, and THEN the Atlantic Coast begins along New Jersey just around or below Sandy Hook.

Fun fact: A few million years back, the Hudson extended further east and south for about a hundred miles. The ancient riverbed creates a sharp drop in depth known as the Hudson Canyon on the ocean floor about 75 miles off the coast of New Jersey. It's a spot for catching yellowfin tuna and other fish that live in deeper water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Canyon
Oh yes look at that!

Ive never noticed before how close Staten Island is to NJ. Or to Bayonne.
Now I have to research what NY looked like a couple million years back with the hudson extended east and south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2021, 07:44 AM
Status: "Recalibrating" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
70,230 posts, read 65,660,893 times
Reputation: 87084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Oh yes look at that!

Ive never noticed before how close Staten Island is to NJ. Or to Bayonne.
Now I have to research what NY looked like a couple million years back with the hudson extended east and south.
Oh, yeah. Supposedly there was a boat race around SI back in the 1600s to determine who got it, NY or NJ.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top