Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 01:08 PM

830 posts, read 486,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Yes, I love looking down and trying to figure out where we are. I wish GPS on my phone would work on that ( any suggestions?).
I think the GPS should work. It's Global Positioning Satellites which are still reachable from 30K feet in a plane. What's probably not working is your cellphone trying to retrieve the map data from Google. The solution is to download the offline maps beforehand through the google maps app for the areas you expect to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 02:15 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default Do you look out the window when you fly?

Of course, that's the best part!

Favorite memories of scenery from the air:

Snow-covered Sierras in the moonlight, on a winter flight between Reno and LA.

Lightning storms in the distance on a nighttime flight over Tennessee.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Of course I do!

I like trying to guess where we are and what cities/lakes/rivers/interstates we are flying over, I love geography.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Of course I do!

I like trying to guess where we are and what cities/lakes/rivers/interstates we are flying over, I love geography.

Same here. I also spend time now and then doing it on google maps satellite view.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:01 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Been a long time but when I did, sure.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:52 PM

382 posts, read 365,641 times
Nope! I sit middle or aisle. I only glance out for a minute or two right before landing. I like to pretend I'm on a bus and not on a plane.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:37 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I'm still a sightseer, unless its just clouds or ocean.

My favorite view was a sunlit look at that huge glacier in Greenland calving all those icebergs. I looked around the plane, all dark -- everyone's shades were closed, I was the only passenger who saw this amazing sight.

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place...6!4d-42.604303

What were your favorite views from the air?
My favorite views are the gauges reading "normal."
I'll lookout the windows to verify my attitude, but that's about it. (Unless I'm landing ILS approach.)

Old 06-17-2021, 09:08 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Nowadays, I don't get to have the window seat, because my kids always want it. But before then, or when I'm traveling solo, I always go for the window. I love looking out and enjoying the passing scenery. Some cool things I've seen from a plane are the skyline of Manhattan, fireworks on the Fourth of July, Mount McKinley (Denali), and my own house. One time, I even saw an aurora borealis. I hope I never get tired or blasé about seeing what's out there.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:00 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I've been flying for about fifty years and I still try to get a window seat. I bring something to read but if it's clear I spend nearly all of the flight looking out the window.

My regular flight once or twice a year is from MSP to CUN which nearly follows the Mississippi and over the Gulf of Mexico. I've driven that U.S. route enough times to recognize many landmarks and sometimes even some towns.

My favorite parts are over Louisiana especially the delta and when the very deep blue ocean turns to turquoise. Then over the jungle spotting cenotes.

Once flying into Cancun in the light rain I was treated to a circular rainbow under the plane.

I distinctly remember flying into MSP from SeaTac at Christmas time many years ago during a light snow fall and many of the homes below us having their Christmas lights on. It was beautiful. Coming home is always beautiful.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
On a transatlanict, with only clouds, I chanced to look down and see another airliner going the other way way. Apparent relative speed, 1200 mph, perfectly silent. A very eerie feeling.

First flight I remember seeing anything impressive was the sunlitearly-morning Greek islands. I thought they looked like pieces of gold jewelry in a blue velvet case.

I flew over thee Alps on a rainy overcast day, but the higher peaks were poking out of the cottony clouds, up into the sunlight, nearly at eye level. Another mountain view was the Bolivian Andes almost at sunset, with all the peaks sunlit on one side and dark on the other. It was terrifying to imagine being down there in that inhospitable terrain.

Biggest disappointment -- Norwegian fjords, which look flat from the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel