U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your vacation style?
Relaxation (i.e. beach, all-inclusive, staycation, local getaway) 17 17.00%
Adventure (i.e. very heavy siteseeing or activities most days) 28 28.00%
Combination of both on same vacay (i.e. cruise with excursions) 31 31.00%
Alternate vacations (i.e. one relaxation and one adventure) 12 12.00%
Other: Please explain 12 12.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:56 PM

7,197 posts, read 10,034,990 times

Advertisements

I relax a little but mostly it's adventure... for instance my last vacation before the pandemic was to Guatemala and Belize... I summitted Volcan Acatenango which was epic but also strenuous, but then I also had a few days of chilling in Lake Atitlan just eating and drinking which was spectacular! I am not too much of a "lounge on the beach for days" type of person, I can do it for a couple of hours but then I get bored, I need to be doing something active like some water sport or the mountains or going to a museum etc.

Years ago (in 2009) I went to the Dominican Republic and stayed at a all inclusive resort (in the Punta Cana area) for 3 days but then started out on my own exploring the island independently. I think that was a good mix of the two styles...yes, sometimes it's nice to be pampered at a resort but after 2-3 days i'm done with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 11:16 PM
DKM

6,789 posts, read 2,538,653 times
One of each, per year.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:37 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,099 times
As for "style"-style, I book the cheapest place that will shuttle me from the airport, and after that, hostels will do. I try to keep lodgings under $20 a night, average, for a trip. I think in recent years, my highest was $44 at Tokyo-Narita.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:07 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,724,645 times
We have a truck camper and usually have a loose itinerary. Our adventuring includes driving rough roads to rockhound, find ghost towns and hike to waterfalls. Several times the road either disappeared or became too rough to continue which required some very carefully executed 5 point turns. I do keep journals with photos and drawings to reminisce someday.

Sometimes we find a great campground so stay several days to relax especially if there is water or a view.

No cruises or Club Med for us as too many people and lack of spontaneity but to each their own.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:11 AM

5,992 posts, read 10,928,603 times
None of the categories quite fit my style. I like immersion into culture (music, art, literature, museums, gardens) combined with immersion into nature (canoeing, cycling, walking).

And lots of local foods not found elsewhere...

Old 06-19-2021, 11:43 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,247,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
None of the categories quite fit my style. I like immersion into culture (music, art, literature, museums, gardens) combined with immersion into nature (canoeing, cycling, walking).

And lots of local foods not found elsewhere...
This describes me exactly as well.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:54 AM

23,786 posts, read 15,391,338 times
I tend to distinguish between what I call travel vs vacation. I am not sure I would think of travel as "adventure" because I think of that as more along the lines of mountain climbing or something a bit more extreme physically. For me it's more about getting a chance to see the historical and cultural amenities of an area. Other times, it's all about the rest and relaxation, although I would typically take a day trip or two to see attractions in the area, esp. on a longer trip. But otherwise, I think there is definitely a time to rest, read, relax, enjoy some tasty food and alcohol, etc. Or of course, the combo where you build in some time for both, although that is generally when I have time to take more time off.

Interestingly, I think having a kid has made me like the combo vacations even more. There is a limit to how much of being out and about kids can handle, so I like to do some of that in bits and pieces and then find some kid friendly activities as well, like minigolf. And I always make sure there is a pool now, because that is the key thing that makes it into a vacation for my kiddo.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 995,913 times
I voted other, as when I was younger, either with a few of the guys, or maybe with my girlfriend in tow, we’d vacation at coastal hotels in Spain, Portugal, or Greece or the Greek Islands.
We’d find a good local café/diner for breakfast, and have fresh orange juice, black coffee, and huevos revueltos in Spain, or whatever good equivalent was available in Portugal or Greece.
Then stroll around, checking out restaurants for dinner later, maybe make a reservation for 8.30 or 9.00 p.m.
They eat late in Spain, which suits me.
Around 10.30 or 11.00 a.m., we’d find somewhere near the beach, or around the hotel pool, where we could switch between sun and shade, and lazily neck some chilled wine or beers, pausing between 13.00 and 14.00 for grilled octopus and salad, or maybe calamari.
Go back to the hotel, crash out, then shower and shave, fresh clothes, a cocktail before dinner, then lomo or grilled swordfish for dinner, rinse and repeat.
Later, when I’d been captured, and dragged to the altar, we switched to renting vacation pool homes in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Virginia, somehow North Carolina got lost in the mix.
It was a pretty similar thing to our European vacations, except that I’d fix eggs Benedict, coffee and juice, then we’d take a thirty minute walk somewhere, come back and sit around the pool drinking mango juice until midday, swim around for 10 or 15 minutes, sit in the shade, I’d kick her *** at Scrabble, then maybe doze for a while.
We took it easy with the laughing water in the afternoon, as someone, almost always me, had to drive to a restaurant for dinner, my wife, not unreasonably, said, “I’m on vacation, maybe just maybe I’ll percolate a pot of coffee or make toast, but that’s it.”
She always took it easy on wine at dinner, as she’d agreed to drive us home.
I could drive anything from a mini to an 18 wheeler, but I did it for a living, on vacation I didn’t want to touch a steering wheel more than I had to, even less so when I had to drive on the right, (or wrong side of the road to me.)

Old 06-19-2021, 04:48 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,048,440 times
What we prefer is to have a relaxing week each year at our apartment which is in a resort area of Queensland. Normally we have at least another trip where we travel, sightseeing and enjoying scenery. We had at cancel a trip to Kenya and Tanzania last year. We are increasingly happy to go on group tours as we get older. We had a really interesting month long tour in China which covered far more than we would have been able to had we done it independently. We have travelled by ourselves in China, to Beijing and Harbin and it is not easy. Sometimes we combine the two. Last time in the US we had week long cruise in Alaska, followed by a cruise tour. Then flew to Utah and had a self-drive tour.

It is pretty boring this year as, although we can travel around the country and to New Zealand, we have seen all the highlights, generally numerous times.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:37 PM

1,440 posts, read 772,752 times
We're a little of both. We get up early and drive to whatever it is we're there to see be it a hike, a national park, a new city etc. Then we spend the morning and sometimes into the early afternoon adventuring, we get back and then relax the rest of the day in our campsite or hotel.

The other way we do it is pick one or two days to adventure and then we'll have one day where we just relax and chill and not leave our campsite.

Very few people we know vacation in the same style that we do, getting up at 5:30a.m. is t for everybody, but we do have one friend who we've been vacationing with for years and he's cool with this style and just rolls with it. Or he does his own thing for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel