Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your vacation style?
Relaxation (i.e. beach, all-inclusive, staycation, local getaway) 17 16.50%
Adventure (i.e. very heavy siteseeing or activities most days) 30 29.13%
Combination of both on same vacay (i.e. cruise with excursions) 31 30.10%
Alternate vacations (i.e. one relaxation and one adventure) 13 12.62%
Other: Please explain 12 11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

When we have been to Europe (3 times) , I enjoyed it very much but I always felt on high alert for not loosing my passport, wallet ( I did carry it around my neck), and getting into some difficulty that would be complicated to get out of. I am getting so I really don't like to be in crowds and that seemed to be the case over there as well as popular places here in the USA. But I don't want to just sleep when I have paid so much money to get to a destination; but on the other hand , do I have to go to the spa after I return home just to "unwind"?

After this last year, I am really not ready to go hardly anywhere where I am going to have to be required to wear a mask, wait for a table because of "social distancing" rules or places are closed because of "Covid Hours". Sitting in an airport for a couple hours, on a cramped plane, and then getting baggage the whole time with a mask on doesn't sound very appealing at this stage of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 09:51 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I go on vacation to relax, so comfort is key. I'll also go sightseeing as I'd feel foolish to travel to an area and not get to interact with the people and their cultural institutions and settings . . . that's a big reason why I travel to a particular place over another. But food is also very important to me, so I'll be eating my way around town as well.

Note, I didn't vote combination of both as, while I do enjoy and will go sightseeing, I wouldn't call it "heavy."

Old 06-18-2021, 10:28 AM

1,291 posts, read 176,870 times
We're retired yet still very fit and active. We have a pool and live close to the beach so relaxing around a pool or a beach on vacation is a waste of time and money for us. We prefer going to interesting places, like countries in Europe and South America lately, to explore and sightsee. We try to always rent a car and do road trips through the country(ies) whenever feasible. We couldn't do that in Peru as it wasn't recommended and it's a big country so we made do with flights and buses.

It's not relaxing but that's okay. We can relax at home for free. Our next trip will have us flying into Milan then driving through the Dolomites, Slovenia, Croatia and back to Milan for almost 4 weeks. Then back via Barcelona for a few days. It'll be lots of sightseeing, lots of walking through interesting towns and cities, and some hikes in National Parks and other nature areas. We'll be exhausted at the end of each day but it's a nice, satisfying tiredness as we recall all the things we saw and did and go through our photos.

When we lived in a colder climate earlier in our lives, while working intense jobs, our vacations were all about getting a break from the winter & rat race so then it was relaxing by the pool or beach. Can't do that anymore as we find that boring. Each to their own.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times
Our vacation style varies depending on location. In Cancun, we stayed at an all-inclusive and never left the resort. Just relaxed at the pool with drinks or the beach. Other locations we can be more structured where we want to visit certain sites/locations.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:24 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
I explore. I rarely stay in the same place more than one night. Well, except for a couple of trips to an event, but I still did a ton of exploring even though I had a "home base".

Old 06-18-2021, 03:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Doesn't sound very relaxing to me although I would enjoy birding. I haven't had a vacation in 13 years so I want to go some place where I don't have to do anything; like a Club Med situation.
Well, I can’t say making dinner is thrilling. But getting up early is great when you are excited to get out. Also, we just shift our schedule earlier, so we do get a full 7 hours or so.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:28 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
I prefer visiting familiar places. We go to the beach for 2 weeks every fall and to the mountains 2-3 weeks throughout the year. We never even have to leave our state, though sometimes we do. We aren't interested in international travel. Our vacations are probably boring to most, but I thrive on routine and we always take our dogs. So I start off with my coffee and then a nice long, usually leisurely walk. Home to shower and then we might go grab lunch and see a few of our favorite places, sometimes take the dogs to the dog park (when we're at the beach) or on a mountain hike. Home by late afternoon, a couple of cocktails, dinner and then settle in for the night. We used to live in the mountain area we visit and have friends we get together with, we cook out or go to a local restaurant. If I had a place to fish, I'd be in heaven. LOL

Old 06-18-2021, 04:13 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Adventure all day long...........I can lay in a lounge chair by the pool at home!

Booking a trip now to Montana, going to hit Yellowstone and Glacier National in the same week.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:11 PM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
We usually get out early and come back late. We are either exploring a new city on foot or hiking somewhere. We average about 10 miles of walking a day. However, some days are more or less depending on the elevation and terrain. Vacation to me means I get to wear my hiking pack, boots, and hiking clothes. We mostly just eat peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, and granola. For dinner we'll get take-out. And breakfast is the free stuff at the hotel.

Most people say our vacations don't sound like fun. But everyone is different.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:24 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I go on vacation to relax, so comfort is key. I'll also go sightseeing as I'd feel foolish to travel to an area and not get to interact with the people and their cultural institutions and settings . . . that's a big reason why I travel to a particular place over another. But food is also very important to me, so I'll be eating my way around town as well.

Note, I didn't vote combination of both as, while I do enjoy and will go sightseeing, I wouldn't call it "heavy."
While I can savor food while traveling by myself, I find myself caring more about that when I am traveling with others or if I'm visiting people I know in the so called or known as exotic locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel