U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your vacation style?
Relaxation (i.e. beach, all-inclusive, staycation, local getaway) 11 23.40%
Adventure (i.e. very heavy siteseeing or activities most days) 15 31.91%
Combination of both on same vacay (i.e. cruise with excursions) 10 21.28%
Alternate vacations (i.e. one relaxation and one adventure) 7 14.89%
Other: Please explain 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM

339 posts, read 243,421 times

Advertisements

What's your vacation style? More relaxation or adventure based? Or a healthy combination of both?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 09:46 AM

302 posts, read 98,627 times
I take vacations to relax. I like to explore places I'm in, but if I'm not relaxing, it doesn't feel like a vacation.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,030 posts, read 46,639,953 times
Cultural exchange, learning about other places and people.

Volunteer activities. (Imbedded in local culture, not at a resort hotel)

Enjoy the journey. Talk to lots of people, take detours, no time schedule.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 471 times
In my mind I always feel like I am a "relaxation" vacation person, but always when it comes down to it... I end up choosing places where I can explore & learn!

Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 PM

23,256 posts, read 14,614,525 times
It depends.

If it's someplace I've never been before, I try to do a lot of activities just to tick the boxes. After all, I'm not spending thousands of dollars flying all the way to Rome and not partake of all the wonderful historical sites.

But if it's someplace I've been before, then it's more of relaxing and just enjoy being lazy.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 606,073 times
I voted for adventure.

We usually take birding vacations which turn out to be pretty intense. In the spring and summer, we usually get up around 4:30am, have breakfast, make lunches, pack snacks and try to be on the road by 5:30am. We bird pretty intensely most of the day, with a short break for lunch and try to be back in our hotel or AirBnB by 5pm or so. Then, I make dinner and plan the next day’s activities while my husband cleans up the dishes. Some days we drive up to 1 1/2 hours each way to get to a good spot and some days we hike up to 10 miles. On a recent vacation, I remember being so tired one day in the evening that I barely had the energy to change out of my clothes before I went to bed. Exhausting, but definitely the good kind of exhausting.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 2,304,900 times
I typically visit cities & walk solo for hours inspecting various neighborhoods & parks & then try to find interesting local food & drink. Might catch a museum/historical site each day too. I have no idea where that would land in those 4 categories.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM

1,129 posts, read 447,099 times
I like just being there, and observing the culture. I can sit all day on a park bench, and feel as fulfilled as if I had gone on a tour. I think what I like most is meeting people who want to practice their English -- especially school kids. Hearing the kinds of questions they ask.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,999,097 times
A Combo. And I like comfort in my lodgings.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

14,070 posts, read 7,261,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I voted for adventure.

We usually take birding vacations which turn out to be pretty intense. In the spring and summer, we usually get up around 4:30am, have breakfast, make lunches, pack snacks and try to be on the road by 5:30am. We bird pretty intensely most of the day, with a short break for lunch and try to be back in our hotel or AirBnB by 5pm or so. Then, I make dinner and plan the next day’s activities while my husband cleans up the dishes. Some days we drive up to 1 1/2 hours each way to get to a good spot and some days we hike up to 10 miles. On a recent vacation, I remember being so tired one day in the evening that I barely had the energy to change out of my clothes before I went to bed. Exhausting, but definitely the good kind of exhausting.
Doesn't sound very relaxing to me although I would enjoy birding. I haven't had a vacation in 13 years so I want to go some place where I don't have to do anything; like a Club Med situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel