U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:53 PM
DKM

6,790 posts, read 2,516,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
From what I’ve heard from my husband & ppl who have been to Paris a lot AND from all the reading I’ve been doing about it because I’m super excited about it...July & August can be crowded with tourists AND it’s traditional for many of the locals to leave for weeks or a month. It’s rare to hear French spoken then. My husband speaks French...so....I really want the full experience & not just the touristy part AND I don’t want to be packed in like sardines at the exhibits & museums or have long lines if they monitor capacity.
Yeah but this is not a typical July obviously. That is what I am saying. To pass on Paris next month because it might be "crowded with tourists" is a mistaken belief. It will be the least crowded July for tourism there in modern history. If museums are your thing though, I could see where there is little point for going in July. That said, I only plan to spend 3 days there because the countryside is so much better in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Europe is not nearly as vaccinated as the US, especially with Pfizer, and the Delta strain is causing the infection rate to rise again in the UK, despite their high vaccination rate.
This is incorrect as far as much of western Europe outside of the UK. The vast majority of vaccinations have been Pfizer and they have used it at a higher % than the US. They are about a month behind us in vaccines but places like Italy are just a couple of weeks behind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 04:39 PM

6,858 posts, read 2,059,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yeah but this is not a typical July obviously. That is what I am saying. To pass on Paris next month because it might be "crowded with tourists" is a mistaken belief. It will be the least crowded July for tourism there in modern history. If museums are your thing though, I could see where there is little point for going in July. That said, I only plan to spend 3 days there because the countryside is so much better in the summer.

Well...it’s not typical AND it just opened so none of us really know if the crowds will pick up or not to squeeze in a summer vacation....or if a lot of the locals will leave like usual. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BUT I’m told the early fall is beautiful & ideal weather for walks along the Seine & all the beauty to see outdoors or the masterpieces indoors....AND I will have an amazing tour guide! I just want to experience it all & I can’t wait!

edit: We went to Italy in the early fall a couple of yrs ago & I LOVED it.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-21-2021 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 12:25 AM
DKM

I'll be sure to report back in about a month or so when I return. October in Paris for me was a chilly rain-out. But that's obviously just my luck and not because October is especially rainy there. I never, ever thought I'd be going to Paris in the summer. But here we are... Wanting to stay out of crowds and public transportation I quickly realized I need to spend most of my trip in a rental car out in the countryside. The metro when its hot with a mask on? No thanks.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I'll be sure to report back in about a month or so when I return. October in Paris for me was a chilly rain-out. But that's obviously just my luck and not because October is especially rainy there.

December is the rainiest month in Paris...tho the forecast is for rain there every day this week AND into next week.^^ You never know about the weather ofc.....but I’ll take rain & Paris with my husband any day. It’s not an isolated beach island vacation like our honeymoon was in April.

There probably isn’t a bad time to see it IMO... tho we want to avoid it during the touristy months of July & August even if it isn’t as bad this summer AND even if a lot of the locals decide not to get away like usual. So we are planning for September. More stuff should be opened up by then too AND it’s the soonest my husband can get away from his work for another week or 2.

I hope you have better luck this time....have a super nice vacation.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:05 AM

6,362 posts, read 3,139,345 times
My brother lives in Paris. He's in California for July and August.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:13 AM

78 posts, read 16,149 times
Haven't they been open as long as you took a covid test? Some of my co-workers had been traveling back and forth all last year.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponpiri View Post
Haven't they been open as long as you took a covid test? Some of my co-workers had been traveling back and forth all last year.

I took it to mean less stringent restrictions AND cafes were opened for indoor dining at 50% at the start of June. The curfew just got extended too & it ends at the start of July. Cafe terraces opened last month.

They have had strict restrictions just like we have had in California.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:08 PM

10,064 posts, read 18,604,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponpiri View Post
‘Necessary’ travel has been allowed within certain parameters but any purpose leisure travel has not been.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM

19,804 posts, read 11,471,067 times
Quote:

This is incorrect as far as much of western Europe outside of the UK. The vast majority of vaccinations have been Pfizer and they have used it at a higher % than the US. They are about a month behind us in vaccines but places like Italy are just a couple of weeks behind.
Huh? The United States is 45.9% fully vaccinated. France is 25.9% fully vaccinated. That isn’t “a month behind us”. Italy is 27.6% fully vaccinated. “A couple of weeks behind” is laughably incorrect.

My state met the Biden 70% goal. The Northeast is vaccinated. France has enough vaccine resistance that the country is unlikely to ever get to Massachusetts or Vermont levels. You think the North African ghettos around Paris are getting vaccinated? All the street people around Gare du Nord?

Old 06-25-2021, 06:57 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? The United States is 45.9% fully vaccinated. France is 25.9% fully vaccinated. That isn’t “a month behind us”. Italy is 27.6% fully vaccinated. “A couple of weeks behind” is laughably incorrect.

My state met the Biden 70% goal. The Northeast is vaccinated. France has enough vaccine resistance that the country is unlikely to ever get to Massachusetts or Vermont levels. You think the North African ghettos around Paris are getting vaccinated? All the street people around Gare du Nord?
Takes 3-4 weeks to get the 2nd shot right?

The US has 53.3% with at least one shot. Italy has 53.9% with one shot. Tell me how that's "laughably incorrect" to say they are a few weeks behind us. France is about 48% but are giving shots at three times the US's rate in the past week. How is that so incorrect to say they aren't a month behind when the chart says they will catch us in 2 weeks at current rates?

Point taken about France, they will likely slow down. But Italy has already surpassed us so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel