U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

Hey - driving from Arlington, VA down to Asheville, NC the Friday before Labor Day via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looking to make it down to Asheville by Saturday in the very late afternoon. Only definite plan on drive thus far is stopping at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville for a couple hours late Friday morning before getting on the Parkway. Any suggestions on stops on the way to Asheville? Wouldn't look to stop anywhere more than 60-90 minutes so I can get to Asheville Saturday afternoon. Was particularly interested in breweries, but also shopping and some scenic sites. Also - and recommendations on a place (or even general area) to lodge for one night on the way? Was looking to get a place to lodge around the 200 mile marker Friday night, give or take 50 miles, then drive the rest of the way to Asheville on Saturday. Any suggestions on things to do in Asheville for a couple days - other than the overpriced Biltmore - would also be very much appreciated, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 07:38 PM

12,679 posts, read 10,161,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaMentality View Post
Hey - driving from Arlington, VA down to Asheville, NC the Friday before Labor Day via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looking to make it down to Asheville by Saturday in the very late afternoon. Only definite plan on drive thus far is stopping at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville for a couple hours late Friday morning before getting on the Parkway. Any suggestions on stops on the way to Asheville? Wouldn't look to stop anywhere more than 60-90 minutes so I can get to Asheville Saturday afternoon. Was particularly interested in breweries, but also shopping and some scenic sites. Also - and recommendations on a place (or even general area) to lodge for one night on the way? Was looking to get a place to lodge around the 200 mile marker Friday night, give or take 50 miles, then drive the rest of the way to Asheville on Saturday. Any suggestions on things to do in Asheville for a couple days - other than the overpriced Biltmore - would also be very much appreciated, thanks!

Go on up to Maggie Valley for a bit. That's an interesting place. And you're more apt to run into distilleries there than brew pubs or the like.

I go up to Asheville once a year to go ziplining through the national forest. That's pretty cool to do. Lots of places to do it up there.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 586,267 times
Dont forget the speed limit is 45, and it's enforced, so don't expect to make goot time on it. And if there is any road work, they just close the road from exit to exit and detour you off the parkway, which will be poorly signposted. Check before you leave for closures. And if it snows, they don't plow. It's a Park, not a highway.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:19 AM

31,821 posts, read 72,881,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaMentality View Post
...the Friday before Labor Day via the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Looking to make it down to Asheville by Saturday ...
Holiday Weekend? You barely have enough time even on the interstates.

That said.. a nice taste is available between the TWO entrances near Roanoke Va
Get on above and get off below. Most of that 3 hours will be spent going betw 81 and the BRP
https://www.visitroanokeva.com/thing...e-parkway/map/

Old 08-23-2021, 06:59 AM

17,476 posts, read 23,155,512 times
Blowing Rock.

But I agree with others that you're not recognizing how much driving time you'll have on the BRP.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:04 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,855,116 times
For an overnight stop, consider The Peaks of Otter Lodge near Roanoke. I was there years ago; it was a moderately priced but nice resort/lodge with a short hike to the summit of the nearby Peaks (or a bus ride to the top if you prefer, and a walk down) -- a place popular with local Roanokers (Roanokians?).

Old 08-24-2021, 07:26 AM

1,811 posts, read 626,104 times
Yeah, as others have said, I wouldn't see that as really enough time to do much.

Look at it this way: You said you'll be in Charlottesville late Friday morning. That puts you on the northern entrance to the Parkway at no earlier than noon-ish. You want to be in Asheville by late Sat. afternoon--so 5-ish? That's about 29 hours. Even if you could drive straight through, you'd be looking at about 12 hours for that drive on the Parkway. The speed limit is 45, but you won't average 45. It's not a crazy mountain road, but it's still a mountain road with its associated twists and turns. Also, it is Labor Day Weekend. I imagine there'll be a solid amount of traffic on the Parkway, slowing you down further.

So, 29 hours. 12 hours of driving. 8 hours for sleep. Now you're down to 9 hours of recreation. Oh, you'll need to stop for gas a time or two and a couple/few restroom breaks. Let's be generous and say an hour aggregate for those. Now down to 8 hours. In an effort to save time, we'll only feed you once a day on the road. There's about 2 more hours.

So, in a best-case scenario, you have maybe 6 hours, tops, of recreation on a 400 mile trip through some of the most beautiful landscape this country has to offer. With the short amount of time you have, I'd personally look to hone in on a smaller area. I've driven the Parkway as a vacation numerous times, but never the whole thing or even nearly the whole thing in one sitting--and that's taking trips that are a week long each time.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:41 PM

1,121 posts, read 863,420 times
First, check the NPS site for road closures. There was some bad flooding recently. I think most of it was past Asheville, but double check.

Mabry Mill is a nice stopping place. I'm sure it will be crowded on a holiday weekend.

And Mt. Mitchell, though not on the parkway, it's pretty near. It's the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:04 PM

4,563 posts, read 9,267,342 times
As previous posters noted above, the time you have will be road time & very little TTD off the BRPkway, as the Parkway has little to no TTD, other than a fine drive/good views.

The 'Northern Entrance' is 26 miles west of Charlottesville off I-64.
That upper section of the BRP is winding, narrow, full of darting deer day & night, etc.
Views in that upper/VA section are OK at best, imo.

Having ridden the BRPkway on m/cycle several times, end to end and hundreds of times in sections, and driving on it a few times a month in sections for ~ 20 years, it is not a road one can make time on, even on a non-holiday weekday.

Everyone has their fave sections, but other than some good scenic views and 'stops' north of Asheville, the higher elevation BRP is 'below', south and west of Asheville, in my decades of experience.

Asheville: lots of TTD, stuff to see. Google has pages of suggestions.

- We get to A'ville frequently, but stuff I like may not be what you like, etc.

- Breweries in Asheville: https://www.uncorkedasheville.com/br...-asheville-nc/

Grab a room for that night(s) in A'ville now, and be prepared for hotel/motel pricing.

GL, mD

Old 08-24-2021, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 2,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Go on up to Maggie Valley for a bit. That's an interesting place. And you're more apt to run into distilleries there than brew pubs or the like.
Appreciate the advice, though from what I can tell, Maggie Valley is on the other side of my drive (mile marker 450'ish)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel