Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times

Advertisements

Our vacations and how we plan our time depend on whether we have the kids with us or not. IF the kids are with us, we tend to go to one place and spend a week. For example, last year we (the kids, the 2 dogs and us) went to Chincoteague Island, Virginia, rented a cottage on the bay and spent a week fishing, going to the beach, walking in our little neighborhood, roasting marshmallows, birdwatching from our dock, reading, napping -- very laid back and relaxing. This summer we're driving to Wisconsin with the kids and dogs and staying with family. It will also be a relaxing sort of vacation.

IF, however, it's just hubby and me, we tend to go to several places and since we're into birdwatching (and we don't get to do it too often because of our young kids,) we go to lots of beautiful natural areas. Our meanderings are based on where we hear and see the birds. We also like cultural sites, so we fit them around our birdwatching. Where we stop almost always is related to nature, birds, animals, forests, mountains, lakes -- all natural. The quieter, the better. Just got back from an idyllic several days (alone with hubby) on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington where we refreshed our souls in the rainforest .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm a play it by ear, have the destination and go from there
This is how my husband and I like to travel. I don't even make hotel reservations for the first night. We usually bring a guide book and stumble around places. I've had wonderful luck in Central and South America where I've met ex-pat Puerto Ricans who showed us around for a day here and there. They're my favorite people now.

But, now we have 2 very small children, so we're going on a cruise this September. Should be quite odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel