U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 10:48 AM

8,533 posts, read 6,015,944 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any forum or site that specializes is people traveling solo or you can meet with people online who might be interested in traveling together?
I don’t have anyone to travel with because they are either all working or have no money or energy to do so. I want to explore before I get too old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,418,928 times
Road Scholar is popular and has forums.

https://www.roadscholar.org/

Old 09-05-2021, 12:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,407 posts, read 47,429,157 times
Where do you want to go? (USA or WW?)
How do you want to go? (Econo or luxury)
What are your primary interests? (Hiking / outdoors... Or museums / history)
How long do you want to be gone at a time? (Full-time or short trips)

There are groups / blogs in all categories and you can tailor your information to what would best meet your interests and desires.

Our hospitality travel clubs have a bulletin board online for people seeking travel partners, and house and pet sitters (free lodging, sometimes for several months).

Most groups have ways to connect with others. Very popular with single gals touring around the nation and world.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Where do you want to go? (USA or WW?)
How do you want to go? (Econo or luxury)
What are your primary interests? (Hiking / outdoors... Or museums / history)
How long do you want to be gone at a time? (Full-time or short trips)

There are groups / blogs in all categories and you can tailor your information to what would best meet your interests and desires.

Our hospitality travel clubs have a bulletin board online for people seeking travel partners, and house and pet sitters (free lodging, sometimes for several months).

Most groups have ways to connect with others. Very popular with single gals touring around the nation and world.
I’m open to go world wide . Econo to mid level. At This point I can’t say for sure on anything as I’ve done very little travel and have a lot to make up for.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,407 posts, read 47,429,157 times
Fall season is just around the corner, and is great near you.

Maybe join a small group tour to start... Or stay in a hostel. You will meet plenty of travel partners there!

If camping, join escapees RV club. They have Meetup events.

Blue Ridge parkway and Great Smokey NP and Appalachian trail will all have Facebook / hiking groups.

Locally, I'd join a hiking or photography or travel club.
Retired military, teachers, profs, and librarians are who we find the most of while traveling. They are all very helpful.

Internationally, this group has been recommended by many. Chances are good you will find a compatible tour partner very quickly and be off planning your next adventure soon. https://www.oattravel.com/

Old 09-05-2021, 05:27 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,418,928 times
Although I haven't been on one, but looking, everything I read indicates the river tours, Viking River Tours, American Cruise Lines and the like, are suitable too. One can participate, or not, and they stop in many interesting areas.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 AM

24,282 posts, read 15,372,459 times
There's a lot of great information online about solo traveling, which speaks to the popularity of it.

Here are some good sites to browse over:

20 Indispensable Resources for Solo Travelers

This Site Connects Solo Travelers Who Are Looking for Someone to Travel and Split Expenses With

(some links like RedZone seem to be out of date)
9 of the Best Apps and Sites for Solo Travelers

Top 100 Solo Travel Blogs and Websites

I've been a lifelong solo traveler myself. I do have a few close friends I'd love to have traveled with, but they live far away from me and can't spare any time away from their families. I honestly love traveling alone, and the best part about it is that I can see and do things on my time table instead of having to accommodate what others do. When I research a new place I want to visit, I'll typically do a google search on what sites to see or avoid, crime rates, and other such general information. Travel blogs are also a great way to find out more specific information. I also rely a lot on Trip Advisor for hotel reviews as well as local attractions.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:45 PM

1,391 posts, read 589,962 times
Personally, I've become a big fan of Hostels. Lots of older people use them nowadays. and they are great places you can easily meet otheer single travelers, or small groups you can tag along with.

But they are mostly goood for popular travel countries that have high hotel rates. Where hotels are cheap enough, hostels lose their appeal. Off the beaten track, you may go days without ever even seeing a traveler.

So the strategy is very different whether you want to stay on a fixed itinerary, or if you want to go to exotic places.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

37,365 posts, read 37,682,371 times
I like watching Gabriel Traveler videos on YouTube. He is a solo traveler that goes to various places around the world. Perhaps the OP can get some ideas from his videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel