Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 05:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Every British town and city has food options from across the globe, I don't believe you.
When I was in a travel pattern where I was in the UK monthly, I mostly lived on Indian food. There’s such a large Indian & Pakistani population that you can find good Indian anywhere. I also usually like the curry at the pub. London has world class everything. It’s just very expensive compared to US food prices if you’re not expense report dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 05:19 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When I was in a travel pattern where I was in the UK monthly, I mostly lived on Indian food. There’s such a large Indian & Pakistani population that you can find good Indian anywhere. I also usually like the curry at the pub. London has world class everything. It’s just very expensive compared to US food prices if you’re not expense report dining.
One cuisine that I found incredibly lacking in London was authentic Latin American. But otherwise I enjoyed myself there for the most part when it came to food, though I had the added benefit of being able to eat at relatives’ houses for a couple home cooked meals

Old 03-07-2022, 05:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, gee, I guess that's why it's popular in the US and UK?
This thread invited opinions on countries with disappointing food.

I have been to 100 countries worldwide and consider Indian food to be my least favorite. I ate it when I traveled across India, but never had what I would consider a good meal.

If you think otherwise, great! You are welcome to eat my share.

Some other dubious food choices I've tried, in country: Uzbekistan; Nepal; Morocco; Guatemala; Norway; Tibet; Grand Caymen.

No doubt someone will dispute my opinions about these as well.

C'est la Vie!

Old 03-07-2022, 05:55 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Every British town and city has food options from across the globe, I don't believe you.
Plus 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
French food isn't spicy, but it's delicate, rich and more balanced than other cuisines.

My husband stopped smoking twenty-five years ago, but it damaged his taste buds. He doesn't taste less spicy foods as flavorful anymore.

Someone else said Scandinavian food. I had my best bowl of tomato soup with fried asparagus as croutons in Denmark. I like Scandinavian breads and sandwiches.

The only food I haven't liked was in Aruba. Thirty years ago, it wasn't a well-developed resort as it is today The food was awful and much of it tasted like canned Chef Boyardee. I'm sure it must be better now.

My sister went to Iceland said Icelanders eat puffins. I couldn't do that.
My friend’s husband in NYC encouraged my wife to go for the mahi-mahi in a restaurant on Long Island, telling her that it was a much prized deep water fish.
After she thanked him and said how much she enjoyed it he told her that it was dolphin, she still hasn’t completely forgiven him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I like Spain as a tourist destination, but I am unimpressed by the food I have had in that country.

Tapas is interesting if you have never had it, but it grows old fast and I didn't find the quality of most tapas entrees to be very high. The other item worth mentioning is ham. You can get a lot of specialty hams in Spain, but I didn't find them overwhelming either. The country will never compare to France or Italy when it comes to cuisine.
I’ll agree that Spain is maybe half a notch below France, but there are restaurants on and around Gran Via in Madrid where a gourmet could die happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

I will say that I try to eat at McDonalds in every country I go to in order to sample the localized menus.
May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Quote:
That was then. This is now. In his "Alexandria Quartet", Lawrence Durrell said the best place to eat in Londos is at the hospital, where you can get a barium meal. Then the Indians came, followed by everyone else.

My first genuine Indian experience was in Singapore's Little India, where a working man's lunch served absolitely amazing cheap food on a banana leaf. But in India, it was pretty so-so. Bangladesh might have been better.

South rural China, 25 years ago, was the best ever -- but this thread is about the wotst. Everyplace was so much better than Hong Kong --- even bus route way-stations.

Last edited by arr430; 03-07-2022 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-07-2022, 07:21 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I’m gonna call BS on that statement haha.

I have a friend who cannot eat cilantro (he has the gene where it tastes like soap to him) and he goes out of his way to ask for no cilantro but still gets it anyways sometimes

Unfortunately, I too have that gene. My first time eating at a Mexican restaurant in the US, I sent my meal back to the kitchen twice, because, the taste of soap, ie, cilantro was overwhelming. It was many years later when I first read about this genetic issue.

=======================================

Cilantro is widely used in Mexico and some, not all, places they do automatically put it in food, but, I've also had servers ask if I wanted it before topping or adding it to some dishes.

As far as places where I found the food to be a huge disappointment, Ecuador without a doubt. Pretty much almost every dish I had, I couldn't get even a quarter of the way through the dish. I'm definitely not a fan of fish soup that's for sure.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I’m gonna call BS on that statement haha.

I have a friend who cannot eat cilantro (he has the gene where it tastes like soap to him) and he goes out of his way to ask for no cilantro but still gets it anyways sometimes
fresh cilantro may not be safe to eat,same with parsley,green onion,

Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
No one talks about Japanese food,they use a sweet brown sauce ,not soy sauce which I find it unnecessary!may be they are trying to hide something?
and how about English or Irish food?

Old 03-07-2022, 09:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Agreed. I was amazed to see so many international restaurants in Bath: Turkish, Chinese, Malaysian, Nepali, Egyptian, Morocco, and on and on. And of course the ever present Indian restaurant found in every neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
No one talks about Japanese food,they use a sweet brown sauce ,not soy sauce which I find it unnecessary!may be they are trying to hide something?
and how about English or Irish food?
You’re probably referring to their version of curry. Japanese food is delicious in its many choices, except their curry. They cook it like stew with a hint of curry powder in it but slather the whole thing with some brown gravy. Pretty weird.

But one of the best meals I had in Tokyo was a plate of tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) served with a mountain of finely shaved raw green cabbage. The cabbage was sweet and chilled to perfection so it was super crunchy, like eating thin pieces of sweet juicy ice chips. The cutlet was light and crunchy on the outside yet melt in your mouth soft on the inside. Not greasy and heavy like the tonkatsu we get at Japanese resto in the US. It was a simple meal at a food court, yet it was superb!

Then there’s another fond memory of eating grilled local fish that’s only caught in Sapporo. It’s a fish with long pointy mouth the size of sardine. They just grilled it simply in front of you with a bit of salt and Japanese seasoning, served with hot steamed rice and a few varieties of freshly made veggies and a bowl of soup. All for 980 yen (about 10 bucks).

Oh, I miss Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel