Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 03:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have work colleagues who have gone there. I have been to Ukraine several times for work myself, and while I wouldn't recommend it right now, it was very interesting and I had a good time there. The food was excellent. It helps a lot if you speak Russian or Ukrainian. I didn't during my first few trips but later on have developed some skill.

NK is pretty bleak to hear my friends talk about it.

If you want to go somewhere exotic, how about Moscow? You can spend a week on Red Square alone.
Moscow is in the plans! Idk when but yes def & Ukraine as well, my family came to the US from Odessa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have never been to North Korea. But the travel vlogger IndigoTraveller went a few years ago and you find his videos from his trip on YouTube.
I have seen many documentaries & read many blogs about ppl going there. I find it so fascinating

Old 05-10-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
its an itch I quite fancied scratching I must confess, in fact I follow this group which does tours there

https://koryogroup.com/tours/dprk-north-korea/group

As an aside I met a crazy guy who went undercover in north korea as part of an expose and pretended to be an eccentric billionaire interested in doing an arms deal with dprk. Its such a mind blowing documentary. I believe in the US it was on PBS as a two part special. Well worth seeing if you can stream it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...in_North_Korea
If my internet ever decides to work again i’ll check it out.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:21 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
In 2004, on a business trip to Seoul, South Korea, I visited a 38th parallel memorial.

There was an observation tower on the south side, about 2-3 miles from North Korea. We were able to look into North Korea, from this tower, roughly 2-3 miles away.

I recall that the South Korean soldiers were carefully and politely watching us, reminding us that no photos could be taken of the north. (Not that we had good vantage points from this position.)

All that could be seen from this position were the fences and the areas of the north around the DMZ zone.

This holds interest for me, as my late father served in the US Military from 1951-1953, during the war there.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I've never taken a DMZ tour, but I understand that they'll let you into the building that straddles the border, and you can walk all around the room, including the part that sits in North Korea. Not quite the same as visiting the country in the sense of flying into Pyongyang, but it technically counts.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:39 PM

17,575 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Has anyone here been to North Korea? Am I crazy to want to go?

No, I haven't and yes you are

Old 05-10-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never taken a DMZ tour, but I understand that they'll let you into the building that straddles the border, and you can walk all around the room, including the part that sits in North Korea. Not quite the same as visiting the country in the sense of flying into Pyongyang, but it technically counts.
Yeah i heard about it. My husband did it but that’s not quite what I was thinking lol. Idk why - i find North Korea so fascinating. I think it’s bc there isnt too much known about it

Old 05-10-2022, 11:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
I visited South Korea and found it to be mostly boring. No burning desire to visit North Korea.

I toured the Soviet Union twice, and East Germany during the Cold War, along with much of Eastern Europe.

I was one of the first visitors allowed into China as it slowly opened up in 1978. Recently, I visited Tibet.

Also ran with the bulls at Pamplona; took a riverboat up the Amazon; Safari at Krueger National Park.

So far, I've toured about 100 countries on six continents and passed by Antarctica on a cruise ship.

North Korea remains near the bottom of my bucket list.

Let us know how it goes if you visit.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I visited South Korea and found it to be mostly boring. No burning desire to visit North Korea.

I toured the Soviet Union twice, and East Germany during the Cold War, along with much of Eastern Europe.

I was one of the first visitors allowed into China as it slowly opened up in 1978. Recently, I visited Tibet.

Also ran with the bulls at Pamplona; took a riverboat up the Amazon; Safari at Krueger National Park.

So far, I've toured about 100 countries on six continents and passed by Antarctica on a cruise ship.

North Korea remains near the bottom of my bucket list.

Let us know how it goes if you visit.
Wow this is amazing!! You’re much older than me but I aspire to do many such things like this. I have done so much already & I’m just 40 (which is either young or old, depending how you look at it)

Tibet seems awesome. I want to get there. I watched “Seven Years In Tibet” actually last week lol.

I’ll let ya know, lol

Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
James Chuch is the pseudonym of an American author who hass written six novels about a detective for North Korean police. Reading "A Corpse in the Koryo" may give you a more relaxed view of the ordinariness of Nortk Korean life. Church's identity has never been made public, but Asia experts say he seems to know what he's talking about.

I seem to recall asking for comparisons of North Kores and Bhutan, but don't recall any replies, so maybe it was deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel