Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 09:07 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new travel focus, and food and wine/spirits seems to be a good thing to travel around the US to experience as regional differences can be super interesting to me.
Most of our adventures have been on the coasts, East and West; mostly PNW and SE, and we love those, but I would like to try somewhere new, ya know?

What we look for is a multiple day event that includes some sort of "grand tasting" of either food or "adult beverages" as a main event, coupled with days where a variety of activities are available that focus on regional foods or beverages and end with some kind of dining events to choose from ( casual v. upscale). I like to feel like I can learn something by attending, so some educational element like cooking class or tastings with a sommelier or distiller are plusses. The Savannah Food and Wine Festival, previously held in November, is an example of the sort of event we enjoy.

The big, grandiose events like the one in South Beach, FL are too big for me- I don't do well in huge crowds like that, so let's leave those off the table. And single day events are awfully short if you are travelling a day or two to attend, so let's skip those too. We are willing and able to "road trip", so just about anywhere in the US is game for me.

So, can anyone suggest some really fun events for us to visit ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 08:37 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
We throw a pretty good party here in Vail, no humidity or bugs, lots of sun and great views.
https://vailwineclassic.com

The grand-daddy of them all is a pretty amazing event if you can score tickets for next year
https://classic.foodandwine.com/experience/passes/

Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 PM

That sounds fun! Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:22 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,021 times
If you like craft beer, San Diego has a pretty extensive Beer Week that includes a lot of restaurants as well as tasting tours, etc.

https://www.sdbeer.com/sdbw.html

Old 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Look into South Beach Food and Wine Festival. Usually happens beginning of year and sells out very, very quickly

Old 06-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Thanks so much for your responses sprez and himain. Beer is a maybe- not for me but the other half may be interested; South Beach is too big a stage for me- though I appreciate the suggestion.

Just wondering, if there is anything up in the New England area that might fit our parameters- seems like Mass. and Penn are pretty big "foodie" areas so maybe there is something up that way someone could suggest?

Old 06-24-2022, 04:58 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Also, NYC has a Food and Wine Festival as well. Not as big as South Beach

Old 06-24-2022, 08:34 PM

36 posts, read 44,726 times
Charleston Wine and Food Festival each year in the spring.

Although it is only for one day, I have always liked the Santa Barbara Vintners Festival. There are usually some wine dinners and special tastings at some of the wineries in a lead up to the actual festival. Also, if you are in the area, you need to visit Los Olivos. There are 25-30 tasting rooms in this one little town. Definitely a place to visit.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:31 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Thanks so much for your responses sprez and himain. Beer is a maybe- not for me but the other half may be interested; South Beach is too big a stage for me- though I appreciate the suggestion.

Just wondering, if there is anything up in the New England area that might fit our parameters- seems like Mass. and Penn are pretty big "foodie" areas so maybe there is something up that way someone could suggest?
Cheesefest in Vermont. This is the first year back after Covid and it may be smaller.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:42 PM

Thank you all for your replies- Cheesefest sounds interesting and I would like to visit Vermont, so I will look in to that for certain; NY food and wine may be too big, but I will investigate; Charleston F&W has been a favorite in the past, but in recent years the costs and widespread locations have turned us off from it. We were told by a vendor, however, that the location has been changed, so we plan to investigate for next year...the offerings and pricing will make a difference, though.

Thanks again all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel