Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 05:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh Yikes. I hate hearing that. I've been to hell and back enough for a lifetime with useless airlines.

Been to Portugal and Spain, so wanted to try something different.

But, I'm probably spoiled re hot springs, as way back in the 90s, we got to LIVE (for over a year) at this one, in a private cabin across the river, with its own private hot spring pool, before the bridge was built:

https://www.belknaphotsprings.com/
I just got back from a trip to the UK and a cruise to Norway which originated in South Hampton, England.

We flew out to London on Iceland Air. We picked Iceland Air because the flight was very cheap. I think it was $499 round trip from Denver to London with a connection in Reyjkjavik. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for. On a seven hour international flight the airline served no food. There was one beverage service. More importantly, they gave my wife and I both middle seats on the airplane well apart from one another. When I spoke to them about being seated together the airline informed me that they could do this for a fee of $300. Obviously, we chose to sit apart. We took only hand carry luggage only and I noticed they very carefully examined and weighed the luggage. Fortunately, we met their criteria and were not charged extra. In Denver, Iceland Air seems to have very limited personnel at the ticketing counter. This results in very long lines and long waits. A boarding pass will not be issued until you check in at the counter.

Many budget airlines offer very limited services these days. Iceland Air epitomizes that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 09:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I just got back from a trip to the UK and a cruise to Norway which originated in South Hampton, England.

We flew out to London on Iceland Air. We picked Iceland Air because the flight was very cheap. I think it was $499 round trip from Denver to London with a connection in Reyjkjavik. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for. On a seven hour international flight the airline served no food. There was one beverage service. More importantly, they gave my wife and I both middle seats on the airplane well apart from one another. When I spoke to them about being seated together the airline informed me that they could do this for a fee of $300. Obviously, we chose to sit apart. We took only hand carry luggage only and I noticed they very carefully examined and weighed the luggage. Fortunately, we met their criteria and were not charged extra. In Denver, Iceland Air seems to have very limited personnel at the ticketing counter. This results in very long lines and long waits. A boarding pass will not be issued until you check in at the counter.

Many budget airlines offer very limited services these days. Iceland Air epitomizes that.
That's a little misleading. You booked the cheapest airfare with the most limited amount of services, which excluded being able to choose your seats, and then complain that you weren't able to do so. You obviously booked Icelandair's "Economy Light" ticket, which although saves money, means you are stuck with whatever seats are left at check-in. If you had paid more for your ticket and booked a standard economy ticket, you not only would have been able to select your seats next to each other at time of booking, but you also each could have checked a suitcase or other piece of luggage up to 50lbs at no additional charge. You also could have requested and received all the non-alcoholic beverages you wanted for the duration of the flight rather than being restricted to one beverage service.

There's no shame in flying as cheaply as possible on a transatlantic flight, but it really isn't fair to then blame the airline for the lack of services included with that deeply discounted ticket.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:28 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a little misleading. You booked the cheapest airfare with the most limited amount of services, which excluded being able to choose your seats, and then complain that you weren't able to do so. You obviously booked Icelandair's "Economy Light" ticket, which although saves money, means you are stuck with whatever seats are left at check-in. If you had paid more for your ticket and booked a standard economy ticket, you not only would have been able to select your seats next to each other at time of booking, but you also each could have checked a suitcase or other piece of luggage up to 50lbs at no additional charge. You also could have requested and received all the non-alcoholic beverages you wanted for the duration of the flight rather than being restricted to one beverage service.

There's no shame in flying as cheaply as possible on a transatlantic flight, but it really isn't fair to then blame the airline for the lack of services included with that deeply discounted ticket.
ITA, I flew with Iceland air many years ago & it was fine. I do sometimes use budget airlines, but I know what to expect ( no food) so I bring my own.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:52 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I'd like to visit Iceland some day.

I enjoy cold and distant places.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:08 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
I used to fly Icelandair back when it was "Icelandic Airlines" in the 1960's. Looong flights from NY, stopping in Reykjavik and ending up in Luxembourg. Prop planes, big comfy seats and they fed you fantastic food constantly. Those were the days.....

For hot springs, try the Ojo Caliente resort in New Mexico.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:23 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Iceland is wonderful. Look its an island in the middle of nowhere so is it expensive ? Yes but if you are going to areas like Iceland then its all relative. Is Switzerland expensive ? Yes it is. The list goes on so I wouldn't let that influence your decision too much. You can get great priced flights on Iceland Air out of some large cities. We decided to tack on Iceland to the end of a 3 week Europe trip. We flew out of Amsterdam to Iceland and then when we left Iceland we flew from there to Boston. No complaints on the flight. As far as Iceland itself there is plenty to see and do and out of everything the least impressive was the Blue Lagoon. We went in November and we were able to see the Northern Lights which was one of the highlights of our time there. We did the Golden Circle and it was incredible. We were only there for 4 nights so we certainly didnt get to see it all but we will go back. Waterfalls, glaciers etc. All wonderful hikes and sites. I don't know anyone who has regretted going.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:27 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, that's why I was considering Sept. - Oct. to have a chance at the Northern Lights. Hopefully less crowds at the tourist sites, too.
We had a wonderful September visit to Iceland, but never saw northern lights.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We have been to Iceland twice, one trip was a 2+ week self drive of entire Ring Road and ancillary roads, with 2nd trip a circumnavigation of the country with ~8 'port' stops of the usual coastal towns; 2017 and 2019 respectively.

Icelandair out of EWR both trips, Saga class (sort of 1990s domestic biz class like), all flights were fine and no prob with Rez/communication with airline, etc. All Pre-Covid in terms of airline 'experience'.

A week in Reykjavik is maybe a day or two more than one needs, but YMMV.

Several of the coastal towns around the entire perimeter are worth seeing; Akureyri is the 'capitol of the North', for example.

Cold is relative and difficult to predict weather there in any of S,S,Autumn months; it was snowing last week in the northern sections and yesterday there was a v high wind warning in those sections with a few self drive rental camper vans flipped over.

We were there in late August and in October on our trips: I wore golf shorts/sweatshirt, sneakers every day with an occasional wind/rain breaker, and wind/rain pants a couple of times.

Generally, weather is milder but with potential for more rain in Reykjavik and SE coast, vs north/north west areas your possible time of travel.

Nearly every town has a community pool, some are 'driven' by the warm(er) underground water system. Nearly every motel, joint we stayed at had access to a pool or a small pond like 'warm spring' on or a short hike from motel.

All of Iceland is as pricey as Tokyo or more, from a beer to a pizza, to whatever. Is what it is.

We preferred the self drive vs the small ship cruise: we could do/see what we wanted to, no time frame, but the Windstar small ship did have advantage of slight personal travel and no unpacking/packing, and food on ship was outstanding and part of the cruise cost. Camping, camper vans, couch surfing, hostels are not our sleep mode.

Everyone in the country speaks v good English, though some elders like me, 75, may not be as adept in their 2nd or 3rd language as the younger people.

Remarkable scenery, sights/sites, country and people, in our experience.

My 50Cts opin...
GL, mD

If the OP is on FiscalBook there are several 'Iceland' groups there, most allow reading before 'joining a group', and most groups have a plethora of good info & opins vs TA, et al.

Last edited by motordavid; 07-11-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 09:52 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
We had a wonderful September visit to Iceland, but never saw northern lights.
The northern lights are always hit-or-miss. Right now, as the sun approaches solar maximum, the odds of seeing them are better, but a sighting is never a sure thing.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The northern lights are always hit-or-miss. Right now, as the sun approaches solar maximum, the odds of seeing them are better, but a sighting is never a sure thing.
Yes, we're not basing the trip on seeing them. It would be a wonderful addition, but the other sites are enough. Usually not an organized tour person, but I looked at those 9 or 10-day tours that do the whole island and they look appealing. Small group of 8 in a van. Everything provided.

No, we are not the camper van, hostel-types either. We don't like to rent cars even, especially in a place with wild, iffy weather and roads. I want my comfort, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel