Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 01:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times

Advertisements

I lived in central California for 60 years aside from my college years in Santa Barbara. Every year since, I spent time at various beaches while traveling the world. Now I live in Maui and have a beach right in front of my home.

I love it! The perfect place to retire!

I used to be an avid snow skier, but I've reached the point where I don't care if I ever visit mountains again. Give me a beach any day. I don't lay in the sun, I sit in a beach chair in the shade, or on my lanai and people-watch, whale-watch, etc. Love the sound of the waves, non-stop.

In the 8.5 years I've been here, I find less and less need to travel elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 01:43 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
I dont mind beaches, but after a couple of hours Im good for a day or so, then I could go back. My brother, on the other hand, spends all day every day they are on vacation on the beach. He gets mad when we use to go as a family on vacation and we didnt spend all day oht there with them, so we dont go on vacation with them any longer.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:31 PM

1,063 posts, read 908,552 times
Why do you like beaches?
because girls like them.

What are the factors that make for a 'good" beach...
'good' (or bad) girls.
as opposed to an ordinary one?...
ordinary girls.
Why would you travel far to go to a preferred beach destination?
guess.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:01 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't... & I don't get the attraction at all, unless they are viewed from the shade of a nearby tiki bar while enjoying a native beverage.
The attraction is the view and typically the weather.

Otherwise, everything else you can get by lounging around a nice pool.

I've been to plenty of day clubs in Dubai, and most people don't even bother swimming in the beach. They just lounge near the pool, in the shade, with some drinks, food, and music.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Living in Maryland I have spent my entire life going to the beach at least once a year. I like being AT the beach more so than being ON the beach. Now don't get me wrong, sitting in the sun with a good read as you watch the ocean and the people, closing my eyes and listening to the waves and gulls is about as relaxing as it can get. At 64 I still get a kick out of swimming in the ocean. But for both of us 2 hours or so a day is plenty.

But being at the beach encompasses everything else. Morning bike rides on the boardwalk, another bike ride for ice cream in the afternoon, renting kayaks, going to dinner and then a walk on the beach at sunset, This year we will be getting an ocean front room so we can just relax on the balcony and take in the beautiful view. And there is so much more.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:08 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't... & I don't get the attraction at all, unless they are viewed from the shade of a nearby tiki bar while enjoying a native beverage.
this^^^^^

I've got an uncle that has an oceanfront condo.............he hasn't touched the sand in 20+ years. Its loud when the seas are rough too, hard to sleep!

Old 02-20-2023, 09:06 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
It's a primal attraction. 170 million years ago we crept out of the ocean.....some of us have a longing to go back...LOL.

Salt seeks salt. Warm bodies seek cool water. Ears bombarded by every-day cacophony seek the soothing sound of waves splashing on the shore.

I have two loves: the mountains and the ocean. Both sooth a different part of my soul.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:59 AM

737 posts, read 410,335 times
I lived along a Caroline beach, a major tourist trap, for 6 years. I went to the beach a few times. I loved the night life though.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I forgot one more thing I like about the ocean beach. It right-sizes me.

Whenever I get to feeling that my issues are more important than anyone else's a stroll under a starry sky or a good sit at the ocean gazing out at all that water soon puts my place on earth in perspective. Free therapy for the inside and out!
Yep, that's how I feel too. We live 3 miles from a beach and we go there often, usually around sunrise or sunset. Sometimes we would go to the jetty's side around lunch time, and we would just watch the boats / yachts float by - sometimes the resident dolphins would also come out to play. It just calms us down and puts everything in perspective.

Here's a sunset picture of our recent visit to our home beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do you like beaches?-sunset-nokomis-beach-fl.jpg  

Last edited by graceC; 02-20-2023 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: added picture

Old 02-20-2023, 12:30 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Nokomis Beach! The poetry of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow traveled a long way.

The picture is a good idea.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel