Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 07:17 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times

Advertisements

Passport control and customs are two separate things. I usually walk through passport control, then wait for bags, then through customs at pretty much every airport I can think of (after an international flight). I can't recall a time where I grabbed my bags before passport control.

That said, customs 50% of the time is literally just walking through an area while some agents look at you. The other roughly 50% of the time is when you actually have to stand in line and scan your bags, and so forth. So quite literally half the time if you didn't pay attention you would be walking through customs without noticing at all. (I've flown internationally about 15 times in the past year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 07:15 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,203 times
Just came back from Cartagena to Miami and had to collect my checked bag and recheck it to my hometown in SC.

Before immigration there was a large sign stating to discard all agricultural predicts or face a $300 fine. Looks like some did not do it.

While waiting at baggage carousel 8, I saw the customs official walking with is super friendly spaniel sniffer dog who was sniffing the carry-ons and backpacks of people who were waiting for the checked bag to arrive. That dog caught at least two passengers that I witnessed. The officer made one lady open her carryon and she had an apple and orange in a large ziplock bag. He discarded in a large waste plastic container he was wheeling around and then came back, took her immigration / customs ticket and scribbled something on it - two or three lines. I suspect she will not only be fined $300 but lose any Global Entry / TSA Pre and be blacklisted every time she arrives in USA. It might be worse for visitors.

I took a photo of the dog but am a bit concerned about posting it here. Anyway, another reason for customs to make you take your bag and recheck. In the time you are waiting for the bag, they can nab you if you bring in illegal products.

There might be few who might be traveling with no checked bag but most do. I did not see the dog after the bags started arriving on the carousel.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
super friendly spaniel sniffer dog who was sniffing
I've read they often favor beagles in airports for this reason, they are somewhat goofy cute so they don't alarm passengers in crowded confines of airports, but beagles are basically hunting scent hounds that have a sharper nose than the larger traditional police dog breeds.

We once saw one signal on a couple's luggage in the line to exit customs in LAX, they didn't open them up right there like what you saw, but led them away I assume to some baggage search area. That would suck so much since even if a false hit, see you in a half hour pal.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've read they often favor beagles in airports for this reason, they are somewhat goofy cute so they don't alarm passengers in crowded confines of airports, but beagles are basically hunting scent hounds that have a sharper nose than the larger traditional police dog breeds.

We once saw one signal on a couple's luggage in the line to exit customs in LAX, they didn't open them up right there like what you saw, but led them away I assume to some baggage search area. That would suck so much since even if a false hit, see you in a half hour pal.

It could have been a beagle since I am not very knowledgeable about small and medium breeds. I have a German Shepard and can recognize a Golden retriever and Labrador.

I did not want to take a photo of him taking out the zip lock with the fruits from the women's bag or writing the citation in case he gets angry and gives me a citation, or worse, detains me for taking photos of customs officials in a no photo zone. I did not want to jeopardize my Global Entry

But I did sneak a photo of the dog from a distance and the trashcan he was wheeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Miami Airport, returning from International and connecting, can someone answer this?-miami-airport-sniffer-dog2.jpg  

Last edited by kamban; 06-09-2023 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-09-2023, 11:47 AM

Yep, that would be a beagle cop.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Miami is particularly strict about agricultural inspection over legit concerns about invasive species hitting Florida farmers hard. One contraband orange infected with medfly larvae can easily cause a million dollars or more of crop damage if the resulting outbreak not quickly contained.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:44 PM

Indeed. Hawaii, Florida, and California are all extremely sensitive about what comes in that could harm their ecosystems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel