Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2023, 02:21 PM

271 posts, read 306,399 times

Advertisements

We (family) have decided on having a family reunion next year in Sri Lanka as two members were born there. I'm considering making this a round the world trip - from west Coast of US. I really would like to see the island of Mauritius or Seychelles en route. Would also like to make a stop in Europe going there and in east Asia going back. I have been to India and Singapore as well as Middle East (Dubai). Any suggestions on a decent route which would not have overly high airfare. Probably spend about 10 days in Sri Lanka and 3 -4 days in other places. Retired and have time and some money to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 04:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Top of my head --

OW, US to bangkok
OW, Bangkok yo Colombo
RT, buy promo fare to Mauritius in the streeet
OW , Colombia to Dubai,, then Europs, then US, to be searched.

Should be doable at $1500 if you don't mind a few long lavovers.

Mauritius is worth it, Seychelles is not,

Old 04-30-2023, 12:42 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Of course "overly high airfare" is a loaded term. What's overly high to you?

I'm a big fan of round-the-world tickets issued by member airlines of the two big alliances (Oneworld and Star Alliance) which allow RTW travel including up to 16 flights over a 12-month period. A route like you're describing would be a piece of cake using these products, but there might be some hidden benefits that you could use to leverage the investment even further.

Take this route as an example. This "Oneworld Explorer" ticket would start in Vancouver BC (see below for why) and go to London, then Rome, then Qatar, then to the Maldives before Sri Lanka. You'd return to North America via Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo.

However, you wouldn't be done. Because the tickets are good for a year, you could stop at home (I've used San Francisco on the map, but it could be LA, Seattle, wherever) for a long "stopover" and use some of the remaining available segments for a second trip. In this case I've shown one that would take you to Costa Rica, but it could just as easily have been New York, or Alaska, or any place else in North or Central America. The Oneworld Explorer allows up to six flights (takeoffs and landings) in North/Central America (including the Caribbean) and four flights in any of the other continents touched, plus the intercontinental flights themselves) so in essence it'd be good for two separate trips - the long round-the-world one, and a shorter all-North/Central America one later.

The reason for starting in Canada is that the base prices of RTW tickets vary hugely depending on where travel begins and ends, not on where you live. For example, the route in the map would include three continents - North America, Europe/Middle East and Asia. The three-continent economy class RTW ticket starting in Canada carries a base price of US$2716. The same ticket starting and ending in the US has a base price of US$3869. You can surely fly from your home one way to Vancouver for under $1153, right?

This route is one of an infinity of possibilities. I haven't included Mauritius because getting there on Oneworld carriers is really hard of late; only British Airways serves MRU from London Gatwick, and with the Oneworld Explorer not only would the price of the base ticket go up by over $1000 to add a fourth continent (Africa) but the routing rules for the ticket would complicate things horribly. The Seychelles are similarly regarded as part of Africa by Oneworld, so the same routing and cost issues would arise there. If the Maldives weren't your cup of tea, you could substitute any number of other islands in Asia in its place - Borneo? Somewhere in Indonesia or Malaysia? Or Hong Kong or...? Many options.

So maybe you could clarify your price sensitivity and also when this trip would take place. Happy planning!

Old 04-30-2023, 09:26 PM

^^^^^ I think if you booked all thhat as coseutive on a single ticket, you would mot be allowed any stopovers at all.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:18 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
You're unfamiliar with the product. You can stop over up to 15 times, but only twice in the continent of origin. Remember the ticket is good for a year.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

Old 05-01-2023, 12:14 AM

I didn't know you could still buy tickets A-to-B open coupons for a year. I did 12 stops, OW Joburg - Canada. The airlines didn't care -- Got a ticket, get o the plane.

In the past year, there was a challenge thread here, with RTW connectioms under $1,000. My last RTW was under $1,000 Houson -- Bangkok -- Dubai --- Houston.

First to pop up --

JFK - Bkk $475
BKK - CMB $228
CMB - JFK $675

Total under $1,400

Last edited by arr430; 05-01-2023 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel