Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 10:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Nothing positive about sealing with Budget - Avis.

1) Rented a compact car in San Juan, PR. I arrived at the airport to pick up my car at 9 am. They would not give me a car since I reserved it for 11 am. So, we sat there for two hours waiting. When we got the car, it was a Mitsubishi Mirage that looked like it had been through national Lampoon's Family Vacation. the two bumpers were damaged and bolted back on to the car. The wheel covers were held on by cable ties. The carpeting beneath the gas pedal was completely worn through - all in a car with 36k miles When we complained, all of a sudden, no one could speak English.

2) Two weeks later, I was in Columbus, OH where I had a compact car ordered. My compact car was a Ram 1500 Extended Cab half-ton pick-up. When I got to back to the counter to complain, I was told to "take it or leave it." That cost me an additional $20-25 in gasoline although they did honor the price.

When i returned the car a week later, I sat there at Columbus airport waiting for someone to check me out. No one showed or was around at 9 am on a Tuesday morning. I took the keys to the counter where I was cursed out because I was supposed to "just leave the keys in the car." i do not like not getting checked out as I do not want to be arrested for car theft when someone takes the car back into inventory cut fails to close out my folio. I asked for a receipt and the lady refused to give me one saying that it would be "texted to me." I still have not received the receipt.

The rest of my rentals this year will be with Hertz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 10:19 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
The car carpet is worn thru because often the car cleaners will throw away the car mats. Some car mats hold dirt and hair so well its easier to trash the mats and just vacuum bare car flooring.

I have many cars under 50k with almost a hole on the floor. Especially Rav4.

Pisses me off too when I get upgraded to a gas guzzler truck.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i couldn’t even do that .it was permanently attached to the window with some kind of folding case they tell you don’t open if you don’t want to use it
Yes, you unfold it and wrap the foil around it. Keeping it folded in the case is not always a guarantee that it won’t be read, as you found out.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:53 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When i returned the car a week later, I sat there at Columbus airport waiting for someone to check me out. No one showed or was around at 9 am on a Tuesday morning. I took the keys to the counter where I was cursed out because I was supposed to "just leave the keys in the car." i do not like not getting checked out as I do not want to be arrested for car theft when someone takes the car back into inventory cut fails to close out my folio. I asked for a receipt and the lady refused to give me one saying that it would be "texted to me." I still have not received the receipt.
I do not love the ‘just leave the keys in the car’ approach but we’ve gotten to the point where we take a cell phone picture of the car inside the return zone of the parking area and figure that the time stamp and geotagging of the picture will have to be good enough if there are later questions about when we turned it in.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I do not love the ‘just leave the keys in the car’ approach but we’ve gotten to the point where we take a cell phone picture of the car inside the return zone of the parking area and figure that the time stamp and geotagging of the picture will have to be good enough if there are later questions about when we turned it in.

Lot drivers for the rental companies often will just drive it back to cleaning bays without closing it out. They are sometimes contracters who don't have access to scanners to close you out nor care.

So your car you returned is never officially returned. I know I have worked there.

Rental cars can sit idle and on for hours waiting for cleaners when lot guys don't turn off motor sometimes overnight. And they slam cars into gear.

Last edited by 87112; 05-22-2023 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-22-2023, 07:23 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we rented a car in florida from them …we used our own ezee pass .

we never activated their unit by opening it up from its folded cover .

it took 3 months and four phone calls for them to finally agree the tolls i showed were the same ones they were charging us .

they kept trying to say the times on their tolls are not the time the tolls were logged , they were when they were uploaded .

nonsense ..

they finally realized they are real time tolls
Have you called an EZ-pass with your rental plate number? You suppose to do that.
That could explain they charged your ezpass and then the rental got charged by mail?
So the rental had to charge you?

It is all so messed up - software problems for double charging?
So it is EZ pass fault and yours if you didn’t tell them the rental plate number - you have to tell them the dates you rent it too…

Old 05-22-2023, 07:34 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I agree regarding Avis and Hertz, they've gone off the rails with extraneous charges and poor customer service. National has been great and even Thrifty-Dollar has surpassed them from my recent experiences.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I'm not a fan.
I rented an expedition one year. I said yes to every single kind of extra insurance and add-on they offered, specifically because I knew I was taking it on a hunting trip. My dog got skunked. They tried to charge me for extra cleaning. I bought the extra insurance just for that type of thing. Jerks.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not a fan.
I rented an expedition one year. I said yes to every single kind of extra insurance and add-on they offered, specifically because I knew I was taking it on a hunting trip. My dog got skunked. They tried to charge me for extra cleaning. I bought the extra insurance just for that type of thing. Jerks.
When your dog gets skunked, that's an Act of God -- not covered by insurance.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:41 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Yep. I'm right with everyone here. **** Avis.

In 2021 my partner and I rented a car for a week and a half, flying into St. Louis and out of Chicago (seeing some friends and some sites along the way). A couple weeks later I got a surprise bill for $450 because the vehicle was returned "with a strong cigarette smoke smell". I've never smoked a day in my life, and never noticed any pre-existing smoke smell while we had the car.

I called Avis and offered to take a tobacco saliva/blood test to prove I hadn't smoked, but they wouldn't budge. $450. I tried to have my credit card company fight it and they didn't have anything to vindicate me, so I ended up just eating the bill. Only rented with Enterprise ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel