Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 12:25 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My godson and his parents live in the U.S. South, and I ran into their neighbors in the laundromat of a campground and RV resort in Nova Scotia.
I had a short job in New Delhi India, in & out in a couple of days & then I took off immediately for a few days of R&R to Chiang Mai Thailand. Second night there, as I'm strolling through the Night Market, I run into one of the principals from the ND gig 2 days earlier... 1500 miles away (he wasn't Thai).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 04:27 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
A few travel surprises come to mind:

THE GOOD - how wonderful the buskers are in Quebec City. Instead of a disorderly, annoying, haphazard mess as in many cities, Quebec has a formal licensing and sign-up system in which buskers book 30 minute time slots to perform music/magic, etc. in a well maintained area with seats for public viewing. No one cursing or aggressively pan handling or doing anything inappropriate; just an extremely orderly and family friendly vibe.

THE BAD - the number of homeless drug addicts walking menacingly around the streets of Salt Lake City in the daytime. We absolutely LOVED Utah generally - and SLC has some great things to see and do - but we absolutely couldn't believe how seemingly every city block downtown had a stumbling meth head or someone drugged out of their mind and screaming profanities, etc. Totally unexpected and a shocking juxtaposition with ultra clean cut Temple Square nearby.
Never been to QC, but it's a similar arrangement in Montreal (and you did note that the licensing system was at the provincial level)

Old 05-26-2023, 07:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Copenhagen Denmark. I was working there for a few months a long while ago. I joined the thousands who were biking home from work, or wherever. I expected to see it on the beach during that warm summer, but I nearly crashed into a pole when a topless girl got up from tanning in a public park. I hadn’t heard that they did that so it was a big shock. That’s not to mention the time I visited a cemetery and saw some laying in the sun on top of old graves. It’s not shocking anymore, but back then it was an eye-opener!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
My sister and brother in law live 200 miles from us, and we seldom see them as they spend summers in a mountain house.

My wife and I ran into them walking down the street in Warnemunde, Germany.
Incredible. So did you just nod as you walked by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I was surprised Africa changed so little in 40 years (1976-2016). A lot more motorized traffic, but still not enough to congest traffic.
Interestingly I recently saw a list of the most gridlocked traffic cities in the world and 2 of the top 5 were in Africa: Cairo and Lagos.

Mod cut: Copyrighted image.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-29-2023 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 02:37 PM

639 posts, read 377,993 times
Lack of cats in Ecuador. I saw two the entire 10 days. One rural, one in the city. That's it, and I was outside from early to late.

TONS of dogs everywhere. Almost no cats.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:24 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I

Interestingly I recently saw a list of the most gridlocked traffic cities in the world and 2 of the top 5 were in Africa: Cairo and Lagos.
Googling /most congested cities/, twice, I got two different TopTens, no city repeated on both lists. Neither Cairo nor Lagos on either list. Certainly no surprise there.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:54 AM

Oops I put Dhaka above, that should be Dakar.

Which leads to another surprise when traveling... how nice the subways are in some developing countries. Both Panama and Medellín have relatively clean, safe, and well functioning subways. Mexico City, not so much.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:13 AM

What I meant by "no surprise" is Google returning contradictory data to the same question. Cherry-pick one that supports your bias.

Those of us with ad-blocker are consigned to perpetual ignorance. The collective wisdom of mankind exists only to further persuasive marketing.

Last edited by arr430; 05-27-2023 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-27-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
What I meant by "no surprise" is Google returning contradictory data to the same question. Cherry-pick one that supports your bias.
I don't think it takes a bias to see that clearly there is lots of traffic congestion in many large cities in Africa, where exactly they fall in the rankings isn't really relevant to that point.

Here is an interesting video explaining the horrible traffic in Lagos:

"Lagos metropolis is synonymous with traffic congestion otherwise known as 'go-slow'. The yellow transport buses conveying thousands of residents across different routes are usually blamed for this vehicular logjam. They are said to have little or no regard for the state’s traffic management laws.
On average, residents spend two to three hours in traffic daily commuting to and from different destinations."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qwe-wZK7nM

Old 05-27-2023, 06:36 PM

Lagos by itself is not a good example. and has actually improve since the 70s, when it was scandalous. But even then, it was possibe to move about, except for a few bottlenecks. I don't consider Cairo to be in the "African" development arena.

I rode for half a day with an Addis Ababa cabbie, and traffic was at speed-limit pace the whole time, not a single slodown. I suspect YouTube reports badly exaggerate. I never see it, anywhere, Bangkok, Manila, Colombo. Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel